1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
worst vehicle i have ever owned
By unsatified ranger on 12/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the most mechanically unreliable vehicle I have ever owned. I will not purchase another Ford. Quality is not job one. I truly believe that if I truly used this vehicle as a truck, it would be in the repair shop monthly.

Best Truck ever owned
By charliega2001 on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This has truly been the best truck I have ever owned. Very few problems

99 4wd stepside
By bucks on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

fairly dependable. a few electrical gremlins(i've had electrical problems with all 3 rangers i've owned.) that would drain my battery overnight. also, it has the normal, ford power steering pump whine. gas mileage with the 3 liter engine and 4 speed automatic transmission is about 13 mpg around town and 18-19 on the highway.

'99 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
By Tres Vanderburg on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

After owning a Chevy Blazer(which broke constantly), and a Jeep Cherokee(that was also a regular problem), this truck has never gave me a whimper in 90,000 miles. I go off-road often. The engine has been modified and I am very hard on the gas. Still, It runs, shifts, and drives like the day it was bought. I never thought any vehicle would last this long taking my driving style, the durability of this truck is absolutley amazing.

ford ranger
By nathan byrd on 09/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

in the time that I have had my ford ranger it has been a relly fun truck to drive. The reliability is relly good on it and it gets good milige to.

Excellent little pickup
By tdpackrs36 on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

my truck has been very reliable since the first day i bought it. the only maintenance ive had to do is oil changes and a brake shoe change at 50000 miles. you cant ask for a whole lot more in a truck. surround sound system, all the toys like fog lights, cruise, etc. the only problem is that its not incredible with gas, but i cant complain since it is expected from a truck. otherwise i love it and hope to run her tell shes dead.

99 Ranger XLT 4WD
By FLSTS on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

In short... this is a pretty tough truck. It out tows any 4.3 Chevy I have owned. And does well in the snow. The rear seats are useless as well as the rear doors. It handles well but eats brakes and front tires. I would strongly suggest an extended warranty if you looking to buy one of these used.

Very Pleased!
By Big guy on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Looked extensively at small trucks and SUV's prior to this buy. Was impressed by reports of reliability and the sheer numbers of these trucks sold. Narrowed my search to Toyota 4WD or this. Was shocked at how much more I liked this after driving both. Toyota popularity and reputation being what they are. No regrets. Have the 3.0 6V engine and have both great gas mileage and power- on-demand.

my ford has never let me down
By fords rule on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I take my truck 4 wheeling and have actually made it into rougher terrain than trucks with lift kits and bigger tires.It wheels awesome.I also pull a camping trailer with it into the mountains and I have to say that the only thing that I would change is next time I purchase one,I will get the 4.0 liter.My 3.0 liter is excellent for wheeling but it would be nice to have a little more power pulling my trailer up hills going down the highway.I still would give this truck a two thumbs up.

Good Truck
By RobsReview on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had the truck for a year and like it a lot, I have a 2,000 lb. Ski boat that I can tow easily and I have the small V6 (3.0 liter). It is very dependable and will buy another when they have a true four door and V8 option which is supposed to debut in 2006.