Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Little Ford Ranger
By CLO

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has lived through being driven as a first time vehicle by my three sons. Each one has "rearranged" the body, but the little truck has always come back. This last time, my youngest son drove it into a tree. Lucklily he wasn't hurt, but the tree is dead and my little Ranger may be totaled due to the cost of the damages. I really enjoyed this truck and it has helped me build a business over the last 7 years. It's tough having 3 sons - the Ranger has been much easier to live with.

The body style with the flare over the wheels.

Glad to be rid of it
By Rod

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The only good thing I can say is that the front seats were very comfortable. Reliability was the key issue. During the 6 years of ownership I spent about 50% of the purchase price in repairs. At the time I traded it the EGR needed to be replaced, the A/C was leaking, the differential had problems, and the left door light switch was bad.

Comfortable front seats

Ranger PU
By Skip

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought 1 yr old with 10K - I think the Ranger feels more solid than Japanese trucks or the Chevy's and a bit larger. Still no rattles 8 years later. Paint stayed good as did interior. Only two significant repairs. This was our 2nd Ranger - the other a 94 - the 99 was far better.

Feels solid. Size. Style. Reliability.

Same truck for years - time for a new model.

Overall Good Truck
By Phil

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

Looks good, sits high, rubber instead of carpet.

Better mpg or more power. Engine shouldn't have gone out at 140k. Remove the speed limiter. If I get another one it will have PW, PL, and cruise. Ford should add the 5.0 v8 out of the 99-01 Explorer as an option. It would get as good or better mpg and have a ton more power than the 4 cylinder.

good reliable truck
By julia

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is our 3rd ranger. 1st ranger was a 4x4 XL 93, great truck, sold it at 136k, body was perfect as was the motor. Then got a king cab 4x4 1999, gas mileage was only ok and there was the 3.0L ping, not super happy with that truck although no problems. Now, the standard cab XLT 1999 truck is great. Seats are comfortable, paint/body is solid and runs perfect. Gas mileage is in the low 20's for mostly city driving. Interior is nicer than a Toyota imo, and the truck sits up higher for a 2wd. Only issue we have had is a wiper switch, (phantom on/off wipers)which should be a $50 fix. It's got 70k and we have done nothing to it but change tires and oil. Thumbs up.

Seats, interior layout, good paint, solid little truck.

Don't know, I've had good luck with my Rangers, I think they are a steal for a used truck.

• SUV