1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
99' XLT Ranger 4x4
By demoncleaner on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Good and some bad. Got the 4.0 V6 in a manual. Good engine, make the most of it with manual, and pull 20 mpg on highway which is only 2 mpg less than my old 2wd 4 cyl. Going on 60K, good engine no probs with drivetrain. Lots of little things have been a pain. Park brake got stuck in middle of summer, had to have it towed. Door ajar light always on, Now ABS light on. Off road package outstand, limmited slip is much better off-road, rarely have to use 4wd. good in snow, put weight in back though.

Good little truck
By cbunner on 07/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I like the truck and plan to drive it until it won't go anymore. One thing to watch for is the flair side bed opening at the tail gate is < 4 ft so it will not fit drywall or plywood. That is why I got the styleside, not as pretty, but more functional. 4.0 V6 gives a good amount of power for the mountains. When it is time to buy again, if Ford as the 4-door cab, I will look strongly at the Ranger again.

It's OK
By Practical on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had my truck for over a year. It does it's job good. I have had to replace the starter and the oxygen sensor. I have owned a 96' 4cyc ranger before, that one and my current one has the same problem, the driver side door sensor has problems stopping the "door opem" chim when the door is closed and it's hot outside. After having 2 Rangers it's time for something different. I have 5 TSB's that refer to my current truck. Don't lower trucks, they look exteremly ugly.

Found On Road Dead
By GACop on 05/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have always been a ford man, but this truck really stinks. Bought it slightly used at the dealership. Have had the transmission worked on a total of 3 times since i got it. Had the alternator replaced. The harness for the headlights burned out. The lights in the dash quit working. EGR valve replace way too early, Twice.

A Big Let Down
By a big let down on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Major problems!!!! I am the original owner of this truck. I have had numerous recalls!(Tires, Switches, etc...) Massive electrical problems. 4x4 problems. Numerous dealers could not figure what the problems were. Finally they said just replace the transfer case,(at my cost of course), and it was still never right. ABS problems. Again, dealers said it was corrected, and as soon as I leave the dealership, more ABS problems. This was the cause of my Wreck. Bottom line is BUYER BEWARE!!!! Ford Quality care in plain english SUX! Techs are uneducated in their product. They can never figure out what is wrong with it. I will NEVER own another ford again.

Luv the little truck
By adirondacker on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am only a few months away from paying off the 0.9% financing and have loved owning this truck. Feels strong and sturdy but much better milage than my fathers' F150 and brothers' 250. Got all the amenities (power everything) with lower price.

Mixed Bag
By SH on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have all the toys and the 4.0L V-6. The truck looks great and the extra doors is a great feature. Don't plan on having people sit in the jump seats on a regular basis. Plenty of power but very bad on gas; 18mpg on the hiway is pushing it. The ride quality is poor and handling/braking is just OK. Build quality is just OK and I'm glad I bought the extended warranty. Don't buy this truck if you want to do serious off-roading- there are much better choices out there.

Ford Stong and Running
By Modog on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck gave me no problems in the 2 years I've had it. It has good power (V6) and tows all my toys with ease (jet ski's). Overall, I've had problems with previous Ford's cars but Ford trucks are built much better.

Ranger as a work truck
By billymc294 on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the Ranger because of the good reviews I had gotten from Co-workers. I am a courier, had previously owned Chevy S-10s that had broken down a lot, and saw a lot of my Co-workers having good luck with their Fords. My three year old Ranger now has 230,000 miles on it and has held up very well. I bought the 6 cylinder engine because I do some hauling and have been very happy with the perfomance. It doesn't get great gas mileage, but it runs well. I will probably buy another Ranger in the next year.

hauling sucking gas
By kgb on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i cant believe 14 mpg.it should get better than that.