Used 1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Upset in Oregon
By Domestic?

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lived in a small town with big weather. Two weeks after I purchased the truck it snowed a lot. I've had nothing but problems with the four wheel drive since and the 5 star dealership couldn't care less. This is not the first Ford I've ever owned but I've had about as much luck with all. Like a lot of people I know I'm going to try a Dodge and if that doesn't work out I'll begin looking in the foreign markets. I hear Toyota's doing interesting things with their 4x4's.

Favorite Features

V6 with plenty of torque, am FM cd and cassette stock, fourth door is cool.

Suggested Improvements

Ive been running into problems with dealer specific parts and special expensive tools.

Great truck
By mike

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck over a GMC S-15 pickup at the same dealer and I loved the Ranger. I put some stiff gas shocks on it and the biggest tire I could fit on it without a lift kit. The truck has a fairly smooth ride and was comfortable for two adults, the extended cab was nice to have for carrying small things behind the seat but not very practical for kids to sit in. Everytime I turned the key it started, the Ranger was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. My only complaint was when I got caight up in a 36 car pileup during a whiteout from blowing snow my airbags didn't deploy, and because of this I lost some teeth and had some other impact injuries because of it. Truck got destroyed

Favorite Features

My favorite thing about the truck was the electronic 4WD, no more getting out to lock the hubs when I wanted to go mudding. The 4.0 liter motor had plenty of power as well. I loved the power sunroof it had.

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of anything I'd changed on the truck. I'd by another one with no problem!

Still going after 110K
By Jon

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had little problems with this truck. Used it like a truck, towing, hauling and long distance travel. Had to replace clutch at 95K, my fault, towing a boat long distance that was too heavy for my truck. 110K now with no major problems, "door ajar" light always on so I just removed fuse. Wipers turn on more frequently, but I've read elsewhere that is common for this model year Ranger. Added an electronic brake controller,heavy duty rear shocks and class III hitch for towing. Truck is a little sluggish now, but full synthetic oil, K&N filter and new plugs and it's still running strong once it gets going.

Favorite Features

comfortable for one or two people, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Why doesn't Ford fix "door ajar" sensor and wiper switch problem.

Good Little Truck
By minitruckman

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Had this truck since 2010, bought with 150,000 miles on her. Since then I've changed the brake rotors, pads, brake booster, master cylinder, 02 sensors, wheel cylinders, and oil. Overall this is an excellent truck, the extended cab is roomy enough for 2 at the most. Seats have held up well for a 12 year old truck with now almost 180,000 miles on it. In baton rouge city traffic, I get between 19.5 -21 mpg all city, and my best tank was 25 on the highway!

Favorite Features

mpg for a v6, decent room for 2 in a compact truck, extended cab 3rd door is a plus

Suggested Improvements

I used to have a 94' ext. cab with a 3.0l v6, got 22 city/ 26 highway, guess its the emissions controls and tuning.

EXCELLENT TRUCK
By lutorr6

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 1999 Ford Ranger brand new with 13 miles on it. It was the best purchase I have ever made. My truck is extremely reliable. It has never left me stranded. The parts are cheap. It gets descent gas mileage. I LOVED MY TRUCK. My current mileage is 310,000. If you considering buying a truck, I would highly recommend a Ford Ranger. It was the best purchase I ever made.