Used 1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ranger PU
By Skip

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought 1 yr old with 10K - I think the Ranger feels more solid than Japanese trucks or the Chevy's and a bit larger. Still no rattles 8 years later. Paint stayed good as did interior. Only two significant repairs. This was our 2nd Ranger - the other a 94 - the 99 was far better.

Favorite Features

Feels solid. Size. Style. Reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Same truck for years - time for a new model.

most dependable vehicle i have ever owned
By jd willey

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 99 and have put 105,000 miles on it. Dependability has been outstanding, fit and finish has maintained extremely well for a daily driver. The suspension, and pretty much all the mechanicals are showing almost NO signs of wear. The only things that I have ever had to replace on it is a brake rotor, the manifold pressure sensor, 1 set of plugs and wires and normal wear items like brake pads, wiper blades, and 1 fan belt. That's it! If this truck ever wears out I will replace it with another Ranger, no doubt.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of this truck has to be the dependability. Next would be the fact that it is built with the same strength as its big brothers from Ford. It is one SOLID truck.

Suggested Improvements

The 3.0 was not in any way a powerful enough engine for this truck. The platform on which this truck is built on is more than capable of utilizing the 4.6 v-8 or even better a Powerstroke with two cylinders shaved off. Progressive rate springs to soften the ride a bit and bigger brakes would be great

takes a licking, keeps on tickin'
By isides

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had this truck for 6 years. What can I say I LOVE it. Good power for the 3.0, good brakes, 4x4 low in deep snow, mud or sand is great! But it still needs a 4x4 locker stock (I installed one a few years back).

Favorite Features

4x4 low is awesome, good stock stereo. Tow rating is under rated; 3.0 with automatic transmission is rated at 3500lbs. I've towed 5000 with no problems thanks to stock transmission cooler on 4x4 model.

Suggested Improvements

Choppy ride. gas mileage better stock tires.

Sticky 4-wheel Drive
By john

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The truck runs and drives great. We enjoy using it for fun short trips pulling the pop-up camper. However, every time I engage the 4-wheel drive it won't disengage without multiple attempts and switching it back and forth. This happens even after service to the drive line.

Favorite Features

I like the appearance of my Stepside and it's a head turner with the "orange' color.

Suggested Improvements

The V-6 flex-fuel motor is not a power house and it won't stay in overdrive under even the slightest load.

Still Lovin It
By Jessica

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I haven't found any problems with any Ford truck. My Ranger has 153,000 miles and still runs great and really no other problems. Before this I owned a 1990 Ford Crew Cab dually; man that was a great truck all around, towing was great. I have also owned other makes and models in Ford and can't complain!

Favorite Features

Strong engine and 5 speed auto transmission. Seat comfort - lumbar support, 4x4 low in deep snow, non-premium sound system & CD is great, 4 doors, room inside cab, ground clearance, towing ability. Most of all I really like the 4 doors!

Suggested Improvements

4x4, choppy ride.