Used 1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Ford Tough
By Buddy L

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this 4 door 4.0L 4x4 with 105k miles 3 years ago. After 170k I have had to replace the O2 sensors, alternator, steering column wiring, AC/Heat controls, power window switch, transfer case motor. The automatic hubs went out around 150k. The truck has never held an alignment. I have pulled more than 5,000 lbs with it and have put it through three years of heavy off road and on road abuse. It has been more reliable than I could have ever hoped it would be, I just wish I would have sold it at 150k. The rear doors are great for throwing small things in the back but the rear seats are not suitable for anyone over 8 years old. I would definitely buy another.

Favorite Features

Auto locking hubs, electric trasnfer case, off road ability, enterior and exterior style, durability

Suggested Improvements

Four doors, turbo diesel 3.0 as in oversees available in US.

Battle Tested
By John

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This car gave me no probelms ever. Once it was parked in front of my house and someone crashed into it at about 30 head on and my car was fine, his was totalled. The car did not survive its second accident, it was t- boned by a Ford Econoline going about 50, but no one in the Ranger had so much as a scratch.

Suggested Improvements

Better electonics - keyless rarely worked

Sweet 99
By Ray

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a major problem with the transmission and it needed to be replaced. I had bought the extended warranty and Ford bought the tranny, a u-bolt and rear section of the drive shaft. No hassle, no problems. This is one of the best looking and best performing trucks I have ever had. I will probably keep it till the wheels fall off and can't be put back together.

Favorite Features

Comfort is great. I have driven this truck for 14 hrs. stopping only for gas, and it was just as comfortable as my Toyota Avalon if not more so.

Suggested Improvements

Gas milelage is not what I had hoped it would be. 3.6/V6, in town without trying to conserve, it gets 15mpg. When trying to conserve, 18mpg. Hwy 20/22mpg.

Good, simple truck
By martinjmpr

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new in 1999, sold it in 2003 with 94,000 miles (almost 25k/year.) I deliberately got the simplest vehicle I could, 2wd, 3.0l V-6 and 5-speed, with the XLT package for the cloth seats, AC, and 15" wheels. I drove this vehicle all over Wyoming and Colorado for 4 years and it never had a serious problem. Only minor problems were with the stock seat, rear leaf springs, and a "check engine" light that came on at about 64k. Very rugged, and surprisingly comfortable for long distance trips. Build quality was impressive - this was my first American manufactured vehicle in 15 years. No unusual rattles, no difficulty with the engine or tranny. Gas mileage was 19- 20 city, 24-26 hwy.

Favorite Features

Now that gas is so expensive I kind of wish I had that flex-fuel engine back! Comfortable and rugged, good looking truck. Steering was responsive and the truck was fun to drive. AC was amazingly cold! Power was OK. Pulled a small trailer just fine with the rear bumper and a ball hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Leaf springs sagged noticeably when I put a shell on it, had to get add-a- leafs. Also added limited slip diff as this was not available. Had to take it back to have the drivers seat re- stuffed, it was sagging after a few weeks. Didn't like the 2/3-1/3 split bench, buckets would be better.

Glad to be rid of it
By Rod

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The only good thing I can say is that the front seats were very comfortable. Reliability was the key issue. During the 6 years of ownership I spent about 50% of the purchase price in repairs. At the time I traded it the EGR needed to be replaced, the A/C was leaking, the differential had problems, and the left door light switch was bad.

Favorite Features

Comfortable front seats