1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Useful truck
By Lkcalwood on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have used this truck both in town, in the woods and on long highway trips. My only complaint is the under powered engine. Even with a 5 speed, it lacks power at highway speeds over 70 which is why I am buying a new one with the bigger 4.0 engine. I recommend it to anyone not needing the added hauling capacity of a full size truck. It never stranded me and has had very little problems. Aside from oil changes and tires, I probably have spent less than $200 in total on repairs.

a ranger is a girl's best friend
By cjharris on 05/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my Ranger!I travel the country and a dependable vehicle is what is delivered in this little truck.I make sure the oil is changed regular and the amount of driving i do, that could be once a month.I'm at 159,000 and the only problem is a squealing noise that only occurs once in a while.The engine is accessible making maintanence a do- it-selfers dream.spark plugs,fluid changes

Super Truck
By dferentz on 05/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

After 213000 miles, she's still great. The only things done was oil changes, 2 sets of Tires, plugs and 2 sets of brakes, every thing else is orginal. I avg. about 23mpg.

Ranger Sport, 4x4, Extended Cab XL/XLT
By Lisa Nunes on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

At 23,000 miles the drive shaft was already replaced twice. At 40,000 miles she has a cracked transfer case and at 80,000 a new transmission. a loud engine and a constant clunking when shifting gears makes it's a poor buy. I suppose the only thing to love is the price. Ford's response? It's normal! Look else where.......

1999 Ford Ranger XLT supercab
By Troy D on 03/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had this truck since May of 2003 and have put about 25,ooo miles on it. It now has 47,780 miles on it and the only problem before now was with the battery cable. Now however my front suspension is creaking and squeaking (about to get checked) and my right rear speaker just out of the blue is busted. Overall it has been a good truck and will hopefully continue to be after these issues are fixed.

Good Used Vehicle for 1st time Driver
By Nimbus on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This dependable and easy to drive vehicle would be great for a first time driver. It is safe and durable. View of the road is excellent and brakes work well.

the truck for me
By ace pilot on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

the 1999 ford ranger extended cab xlt is a great truck even though the 3 speed over drive is not very economic for i had the 4.0L six it was very fun to drive and i would highly recommend it for those people who want an american truck.

Great Tuck
By winkhink on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is at 65,000 and I have had it since the begining. Had minor proplems, speed sensor which kept ABS light on in dash but that was covered under warantee. DFPE sensor also turned that light on but that was at 45,000. Wipers come on every once in a while out of the blue but nothing excessive, once a month. Made many trips from SC to NY and travels very good. Drive in heavy traffic during the week and even a stick is easy to drive. Still have original brakes and 2 tires. Great Truck but have to agree the seats in the back don't amount for much when you put someone in the front seat.

99 Ranger 3.0 Liter
By Deez on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Not too bad of a truck...I have only had to replace a sensor for the emissions since I bought the truck with 40,000 miles in Aug. 2002. The truck is not that good with gas mileage. Seems like it should also have a little more "get up" when you step on the gas.

99 Ranger Review - Transmission Problems
By Kloman on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck, but have major transmissions problems at 50000 miles. If this were a Chrysler I could understand it. I have had Fords all my life. Unless Ford extends their warranty on the powertrain, I'll be buying a Toyota next time.