1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Sticky 4-wheel Drive
By john on 07/05/06 13:51 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The truck runs and drives great. We enjoy using it for fun short trips pulling the pop-up camper. However, every time I engage the 4-wheel drive it won't disengage without multiple attempts and switching it back and forth. This happens even after service to the drive line.

Still Lovin It
By Jessica on 05/08/06 14:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I haven't found any problems with any Ford truck. My Ranger has 153,000 miles and still runs great and really no other problems. Before this I owned a 1990 Ford Crew Cab dually; man that was a great truck all around, towing was great. I have also owned other makes and models in Ford and can't complain!

great truck
By kyle on 04/30/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I like the truck overall. Love how it rides higher than most other smaller trucks. Never had a problem with anything on the truck. Buying products off eBay has made maintenance very cheap. I have a 5 speed and it is very fun to drive. Only problem I have noticed is the plastic in the door feels cheap. It is becoming loose and the center seat/compartment is broken. The seat has a few tears in it but it is no problem and looks to be from a knife or other sharp object before I got it. Overall a great truck, but only 23 mpg and I drive mostly highway.

1999 Ford Ranger
By Frank Aaron on 04/24/06 15:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Best compact truck on the market; great fuel mileage; will buy this truck again.

Upset in Oregon
By Domestic? on 03/07/06 20:41 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lived in a small town with big weather. Two weeks after I purchased the truck it snowed a lot. I've had nothing but problems with the four wheel drive since and the 5 star dealership couldn't care less. This is not the first Ford I've ever owned but I've had about as much luck with all. Like a lot of people I know I'm going to try a Dodge and if that doesn't work out I'll begin looking in the foreign markets. I hear Toyota's doing interesting things with their 4x4's.

I want another one, it is so great, fun,
By sandra on 02/20/06 18:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The best vehicle I've owned; fun, reliable, economical. People think my ‘99 model is brand new. I spend hours taking care of it and it shows. No big problems. Couldn’t even wear out the tires. I love my Ranger. If not for a disability I wouldn't part with it. Not suitable for wheelchair conversion. Too bad for me.

My Ranger
By Rich on 02/01/06 16:00 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the 2nd Ranger that I have owned. My 99 4x4 has been a great truck. I love to drive it and she performs great off road. I take her hunting and sometimes sleep in the back (has a shell). I put on a set of B.F.Goodrich All Terrains and the off road performance got better! I also utilize a K&N air filter and with my 4.0 I get 24mpg. Great Truck, I Love It!

Buy a Ranger...Get an Extended Warranty
By cday1 on 11/17/05 20:38 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Love the truck, except transmission problems at 50,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles. I've had enough, Tacoma here I come.

50000 miles and it stinks already
By dont_buy_american on 08/09/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new, thinking I would get years of trouble-free service from it. I have only put 50K miles in 6 years, kept it garaged, regular oil changes. Yet it has developed annoying rattles. The MAF sensor went out on it last year. It runs mediocre and knocks on hills with regular gas. Currently it has another problem where it stalls on start and runs poorly with rough idle. Who only knows how much this will cost to fix. Save yourself some trouble and buy a Tacoma or Frontier. It will cost less in the long run.

'99 Ranger - a piece of junk
By jukenukem on 07/28/05 00:53 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Not satisfied with this truck and will never buy a Ford again. Too many mechanical problems; where do I start? Poor performance with regards to hp (155). Mileage isn't too bad for fuel economy, but can be improved. Hate the flareside (step) bed. The bed lacks enough room for a 4x8 sheet of plywood. It's width is only 41 inches. Don't waste your money on this one, unless you're looking for a toy because that's what this is. With the split bench seat in front, it lacks any storage. The two seats in the back can only seat a child, but still not enough room for safety. Suspension is stiff with Off Road option.