Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My baby
By Ron

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love this truck! I bought it used with 225,000 miles on it! No Joke! It runs perfect. It was a Fleet truck for car-quest. Only repairs I had to due are the normal ones with the mileage, alternator and sway bar links. I also just replaced the radiator because of a small crack in the plastic tank but I live on a poorly grated dirt road. I love the gas mileage. Its a 5-speed 4 cylinder and I cut off the stock muffler then threw on a cherry bomb glass-pack and I average 32 mpg, way higher then the epa estimated rating. I found out the ford 302 V8 will fit, planning on getting one. I love these trucks so much I just bought one for my wife( V6 ext cab automatic). Ford Ranger owner for life now.

Gas mileage, the power that little 4 cyl. puts out and how fun it is to drive.

Add the option of Dual exhaust and the engine option of a 302 or 351 V8. They both fit but the 351 needs a lift kit added. (Its a little tighter fit than the 302)

Sporty truck- Caution: Check the Frame!
By Jim T.

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased the truck five months ago from the second owner and put on about four thousand miles since. With an automatic tranny, the 3.0 v-6 engine is very under powered and performs like a 4 cyl.. When I purchased the truck, the body looked in excellent shape. I noticed rust on the chasis, but it wasn't until later when I really checked it out, that I found severe rusting on the inside of the frame. This needed considerable cleaning and a rust killer application. Also, the body mounts were rusted severely and later cracked, requiring the bed to be replaced at a cost of over $2000. Checked on web and found others with same problem. Same mfg supplied Toyota truck frames, but Toyota recalled.

Nice looks, inside and out. On the fly 4 wheel drive worked great!

The 3.0 is OK, but would suggest the larger V-6. Ford should recall all Rangers with these defective frames, as Toyota has done. (find details on web)

My second Ranger
By Robert

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Just bought this used truck, a 1999 Ford Ranger, having looked around at most other brands. I liked the size and build quality of the Rangers. This truck was very clean with low mileage and quite appealing to look at. However the 3.0 with auto trans is no performer and fuel consumption seems quite high so far. However I didn't buy it for performance and it suits my needs very well. Having read many reports on compact trucks I liked the Rangers score the best.

Size, ride, interior comfort.

3.0 performance and fuel economy.

Pfffft
By Ramndomguy32

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Lots and lots of never ending electrical problems from year 1. Constantly needed tune ups about every other oil change.

Comfy

Kill the electrical leprechauns and find some way to tighten up the timing

Great truck
By mike

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought this truck over a GMC S-15 pickup at the same dealer and I loved the Ranger. I put some stiff gas shocks on it and the biggest tire I could fit on it without a lift kit. The truck has a fairly smooth ride and was comfortable for two adults, the extended cab was nice to have for carrying small things behind the seat but not very practical for kids to sit in. Everytime I turned the key it started, the Ranger was the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. My only complaint was when I got caight up in a 36 car pileup during a whiteout from blowing snow my airbags didn't deploy, and because of this I lost some teeth and had some other impact injuries because of it. Truck got destroyed

My favorite thing about the truck was the electronic 4WD, no more getting out to lock the hubs when I wanted to go mudding. The 4.0 liter motor had plenty of power as well. I loved the power sunroof it had.

Can't think of anything I'd changed on the truck. I'd by another one with no problem!