Used 1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

My Little Ford Ranger
By CLO

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has lived through being driven as a first time vehicle by my three sons. Each one has "rearranged" the body, but the little truck has always come back. This last time, my youngest son drove it into a tree. Lucklily he wasn't hurt, but the tree is dead and my little Ranger may be totaled due to the cost of the damages. I really enjoyed this truck and it has helped me build a business over the last 7 years. It's tough having 3 sons - the Ranger has been much easier to live with.

Favorite Features

The body style with the flare over the wheels.

Overall Good Truck
By Phil

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

Favorite Features

Looks good, sits high, rubber instead of carpet.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg or more power. Engine shouldn't have gone out at 140k. Remove the speed limiter. If I get another one it will have PW, PL, and cruise. Ford should add the 5.0 v8 out of the 99-01 Explorer as an option. It would get as good or better mpg and have a ton more power than the 4 cylinder.

good reliable truck
By julia

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is our 3rd ranger. 1st ranger was a 4x4 XL 93, great truck, sold it at 136k, body was perfect as was the motor. Then got a king cab 4x4 1999, gas mileage was only ok and there was the 3.0L ping, not super happy with that truck although no problems. Now, the standard cab XLT 1999 truck is great. Seats are comfortable, paint/body is solid and runs perfect. Gas mileage is in the low 20's for mostly city driving. Interior is nicer than a Toyota imo, and the truck sits up higher for a 2wd. Only issue we have had is a wiper switch, (phantom on/off wipers)which should be a $50 fix. It's got 70k and we have done nothing to it but change tires and oil. Thumbs up.

Favorite Features

Seats, interior layout, good paint, solid little truck.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know, I've had good luck with my Rangers, I think they are a steal for a used truck.

great truck
By kyle

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I like the truck overall. Love how it rides higher than most other smaller trucks. Never had a problem with anything on the truck. Buying products off eBay has made maintenance very cheap. I have a 5 speed and it is very fun to drive. Only problem I have noticed is the plastic in the door feels cheap. It is becoming loose and the center seat/compartment is broken. The seat has a few tears in it but it is no problem and looks to be from a knife or other sharp object before I got it. Overall a great truck, but only 23 mpg and I drive mostly highway.

Favorite Features

5 speed, towing, speakers are great.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, plastic on the inside is cheap, mpg.

1999 Ford Ranger
By Frank Aaron

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Best compact truck on the market; great fuel mileage; will buy this truck again.

Favorite Features

Price and fuel rating.

Suggested Improvements

Cab -- make it bigger.