Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great Truck
By Joe

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought this as a work truck and it's been through a lot of punishment and some heavy payloads. Shortly after we got it we had to replace the autotyranny(around 115k) with a used one, but it works great now. Just hit 130k not to long ago. The 2.5l engine is kinda weak, not enough power but gets the job done, gets around 14-16mpg highway, very poor for a small truck/engine, the dealer couldn't find out why its so poor, but runs great nonetheless. Has good suspension and great build quality. It's been in a accident before we had it, we think it hit and drove ontop of a small car rear end/trunk, but it nevered caused a problem for us! I really do love this truck.

Favorite Features

Very Reliable, Cold A/C, Payloads, Very Fun to Drive (despite weak engine), Comfortable, Build Quality, Smooth Ride, Body Style

Suggested Improvements

Stronger Engine & Better gas millage, More Storage

Darn good trucks
By Scott

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st was a 92 reg cab SB 2.3 w/5sp. Sold with 198,000 on it. 2nd. Is the 99. reg. cab. short box. Still driving it with 220000 on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. I tow a utility trailer with a 2 seater atv consistantly. The 2.5 and auto trans. work well, if a little low on power. My trucks haul and tow constantly so this a testament to the Ford build quality of these little trucks. At 6'4", 250lbs, I'm a little cramped. Just bought an 06 king cab auto with the 3.0 today but am keeping the 99 as my commuter. This makes my 3rd white Ranger! Great winter trucks if you run studded snows and put 250 to 300lbs in the back. Never had any traction issues here in NH.

Favorite Features

Easy to work on. Aftermarcket accessories abound CHEAP! Great gas mileage. Low maintenance overall. Best headlights out there.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back old fashioned bench seats. A few more inches of cab space behind the seats for us large folk.

Terrible
By Chris

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought this truck close to a year ago and I've had nothing but problems with it. I bought it, found out the ball joints needed to be replaced. A dealership cannot legally sell a vehicle that is in bad mechanical shape, so I called them and they agreed to pay the cost of the ball joints. Then I found out that I needed new cylinder heads and a head gasket, they paid half. Then the wheel bearing went and so did the hubs. Used hubs are hard to come by as you need a special tool to take a hub off this ranger without breaking it. I keep getting failing idle control valves as well. My boss use to own it, he put $3000 into it. Truck has 246000 km on it, but it shouldn't be breaking this much.

Favorite Features

Its got alright fuel economy, even when in 4wd. But that also depends on how hard you drive it, I've passed people on a 2 lane highway and I've actually noticed the fuel gauge goes down just from that single pass.

Suggested Improvements

Everything. Especially power! How can you give a pickup 160hp and say its good to pull a 5000 lbs trailer...even worse is that the newer rangers have a 3L and they have 200+ hp

Still going after 110K
By Jon

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had little problems with this truck. Used it like a truck, towing, hauling and long distance travel. Had to replace clutch at 95K, my fault, towing a boat long distance that was too heavy for my truck. 110K now with no major problems, "door ajar" light always on so I just removed fuse. Wipers turn on more frequently, but I've read elsewhere that is common for this model year Ranger. Added an electronic brake controller,heavy duty rear shocks and class III hitch for towing. Truck is a little sluggish now, but full synthetic oil, K&N filter and new plugs and it's still running strong once it gets going.

Favorite Features

comfortable for one or two people, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Why doesn't Ford fix "door ajar" sensor and wiper switch problem.

Great truck for anything!
By LoneRanger

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 100k on the clock and have put 120k on it since for a total of 220k miles!!! It has the 3.0 in it and its the best truck I have ever owned, it has never let me down. Other than normal stuff i.e. brakes tires and a few ball joints its been problem free. I would buy another ranger in a second. Only downfall of the truck is the ride. Front susp. is a little whooped out. Also rangers are known (in the north) for the rear shackles rotting out which mine have. A $100 fix if you do it yourself. And rear springs could be stronger. I haul dirt bikes 3 times a week all over Ohio and its perfect. Buy a Ford ranger.

Favorite Features

The truck just loves to drive and won't stop. Drove from OH to NC with 200k miles and not a problem. And AC blasts ice cold!

Suggested Improvements

Rear shackles and rear springs need to be stronger. And the tailgate bottoms tend to rust. But its a perfect little truck.