1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
My Little Ford Ranger
By CLO on 06/14/07 07:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has lived through being driven as a first time vehicle by my three sons. Each one has "rearranged" the body, but the little truck has always come back. This last time, my youngest son drove it into a tree. Lucklily he wasn't hurt, but the tree is dead and my little Ranger may be totaled due to the cost of the damages. I really enjoyed this truck and it has helped me build a business over the last 7 years. It's tough having 3 sons - the Ranger has been much easier to live with.

Overall Good Truck
By Phil on 02/26/07 21:23 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

good reliable truck
By julia on 10/13/06 04:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is our 3rd ranger. 1st ranger was a 4x4 XL 93, great truck, sold it at 136k, body was perfect as was the motor. Then got a king cab 4x4 1999, gas mileage was only ok and there was the 3.0L ping, not super happy with that truck although no problems. Now, the standard cab XLT 1999 truck is great. Seats are comfortable, paint/body is solid and runs perfect. Gas mileage is in the low 20's for mostly city driving. Interior is nicer than a Toyota imo, and the truck sits up higher for a 2wd. Only issue we have had is a wiper switch, (phantom on/off wipers)which should be a $50 fix. It's got 70k and we have done nothing to it but change tires and oil. Thumbs up.

great truck
By kyle on 04/30/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I like the truck overall. Love how it rides higher than most other smaller trucks. Never had a problem with anything on the truck. Buying products off eBay has made maintenance very cheap. I have a 5 speed and it is very fun to drive. Only problem I have noticed is the plastic in the door feels cheap. It is becoming loose and the center seat/compartment is broken. The seat has a few tears in it but it is no problem and looks to be from a knife or other sharp object before I got it. Overall a great truck, but only 23 mpg and I drive mostly highway.

1999 Ford Ranger
By Frank Aaron on 04/24/06 15:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Best compact truck on the market; great fuel mileage; will buy this truck again.

I want another one, it is so great, fun,
By sandra on 02/20/06 18:06 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The best vehicle I've owned; fun, reliable, economical. People think my ‘99 model is brand new. I spend hours taking care of it and it shows. No big problems. Couldn’t even wear out the tires. I love my Ranger. If not for a disability I wouldn't part with it. Not suitable for wheelchair conversion. Too bad for me.

50000 miles and it stinks already
By dont_buy_american on 08/09/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new, thinking I would get years of trouble-free service from it. I have only put 50K miles in 6 years, kept it garaged, regular oil changes. Yet it has developed annoying rattles. The MAF sensor went out on it last year. It runs mediocre and knocks on hills with regular gas. Currently it has another problem where it stalls on start and runs poorly with rough idle. Who only knows how much this will cost to fix. Save yourself some trouble and buy a Tacoma or Frontier. It will cost less in the long run.

A few problems
By Kyle Brashear on 12/27/04 01:24 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

First the engine; I haven't had any mechanical problems with the engine, it has 130,000 miles on it so far. I had to replace the bearings. The door ajar light used to stay on. The dome light has some issues. My speedometer cable currently isn't working. I get about 25 miles a gallon, with the 4 cylinder, which is pretty slow to me.

Best Truck ever owned
By charliega2001 on 10/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This has truly been the best truck I have ever owned. Very few problems

Good Truck
By RobsReview on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had the truck for a year and like it a lot, I have a 2,000 lb. Ski boat that I can tow easily and I have the small V6 (3.0 liter). It is very dependable and will buy another when they have a true four door and V8 option which is supposed to debut in 2006.