Used 1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great Truck
By Joe

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought this as a work truck and it's been through a lot of punishment and some heavy payloads. Shortly after we got it we had to replace the autotyranny(around 115k) with a used one, but it works great now. Just hit 130k not to long ago. The 2.5l engine is kinda weak, not enough power but gets the job done, gets around 14-16mpg highway, very poor for a small truck/engine, the dealer couldn't find out why its so poor, but runs great nonetheless. Has good suspension and great build quality. It's been in a accident before we had it, we think it hit and drove ontop of a small car rear end/trunk, but it nevered caused a problem for us! I really do love this truck.

Very Reliable, Cold A/C, Payloads, Very Fun to Drive (despite weak engine), Comfortable, Build Quality, Smooth Ride, Body Style

Stronger Engine & Better gas millage, More Storage

Darn good trucks
By Scott

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st was a 92 reg cab SB 2.3 w/5sp. Sold with 198,000 on it. 2nd. Is the 99. reg. cab. short box. Still driving it with 220000 on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. I tow a utility trailer with a 2 seater atv consistantly. The 2.5 and auto trans. work well, if a little low on power. My trucks haul and tow constantly so this a testament to the Ford build quality of these little trucks. At 6'4", 250lbs, I'm a little cramped. Just bought an 06 king cab auto with the 3.0 today but am keeping the 99 as my commuter. This makes my 3rd white Ranger! Great winter trucks if you run studded snows and put 250 to 300lbs in the back. Never had any traction issues here in NH.

Easy to work on. Aftermarcket accessories abound CHEAP! Great gas mileage. Low maintenance overall. Best headlights out there.

Bring back old fashioned bench seats. A few more inches of cab space behind the seats for us large folk.

I've been very pleased thus far
By brandonh98

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

When I first bought this truck new in 99' I loved it...At about 25K miles the rear end went...and then I started having trouble with the 4wd at about 30k miles. I thought at that point that this thing was going to start to be a pain in the rear but since 30k miles I haven't had to put a dime into it except for normal wear items such as brakes, ball joints etc...at just over 110k miles I can say this is been a very reliable truck thus far...

This is the best all around pick up you can buy...not too bad on gas for a 4.0L engine...Great off-road capabilities and drives well on the highway

Not being able to put more than a couple wheel barrels worth of dirt before the leave springs are bottomed out is a little upsetting...rear end at 25k is also upsetting...

My baby
By Ron

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love this truck! I bought it used with 225,000 miles on it! No Joke! It runs perfect. It was a Fleet truck for car-quest. Only repairs I had to due are the normal ones with the mileage, alternator and sway bar links. I also just replaced the radiator because of a small crack in the plastic tank but I live on a poorly grated dirt road. I love the gas mileage. Its a 5-speed 4 cylinder and I cut off the stock muffler then threw on a cherry bomb glass-pack and I average 32 mpg, way higher then the epa estimated rating. I found out the ford 302 V8 will fit, planning on getting one. I love these trucks so much I just bought one for my wife( V6 ext cab automatic). Ford Ranger owner for life now.

Gas mileage, the power that little 4 cyl. puts out and how fun it is to drive.

Add the option of Dual exhaust and the engine option of a 302 or 351 V8. They both fit but the 351 needs a lift kit added. (Its a little tighter fit than the 302)

Reliable and economical
By Junaid

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new. I was a little apprehensive buying American since I have had bad experiences with a GM car. This truck has been very reliable, only had one mass airflow sensor die on me and it was a $100 fix. I put in myself with a screwdriver. It's almost 100,000 miles now and I haven't even had to replace the battery or brakes. It just keeps on ticking. It's the basic model with AC so few things to break down.

Reliable. Low-maintenance. 25+mpg highway. Enough ground clearance to handle most dirt roads in the Pacific NW. Cold AC

Better MAF sensor. Locking fuel cap