Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Mixed Bag
By SH on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have all the toys and the 4.0L V-6. The truck looks great and the extra doors is a great feature. Don't plan on having people sit in the jump seats on a regular basis. Plenty of power but very bad on gas; 18mpg on the hiway is pushing it. The ride quality is poor and handling/braking is just OK. Build quality is just OK and I'm glad I bought the extended warranty. Don't buy this truck if you want to do serious off-roading- there are much better choices out there.

ranger
By dreeves77 on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

gas tank too small for the 4.0 liter V6stop all the time for gas ...great power

Ford Stong and Running
By Modog on 12/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck gave me no problems in the 2 years I've had it. It has good power (V6) and tows all my toys with ease (jet ski's). Overall, I've had problems with previous Ford's cars but Ford trucks are built much better.

Ranger as a work truck
By billymc294 on 12/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought the Ranger because of the good reviews I had gotten from Co-workers. I am a courier, had previously owned Chevy S-10s that had broken down a lot, and saw a lot of my Co-workers having good luck with their Fords. My three year old Ranger now has 230,000 miles on it and has held up very well. I bought the 6 cylinder engine because I do some hauling and have been very happy with the perfomance. It doesn't get great gas mileage, but it runs well. I will probably buy another Ranger in the next year.

hauling sucking gas
By kgb on 11/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

i cant believe 14 mpg.it should get better than that.

Nice ride
By jjauch on 09/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Nice Ride, good fuel economy. Handles nicely even in bad weather. Good value. Would buy again

Great Little Truck
By irmen on 07/31/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I am just finishing up my 2nd lease of a Ranger and would recommend it to anyone. They are great little trucks - they are not off-roaders, but that's not what I was looking for. It sits great, feels great, and has had no problems at all. Granted, I have not put it through the ringer, but for getting around town, long road trips, and moving several times, it has been wonderful!

Ford Ranger
By scho0591 on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Great looking truck, good value. The engine is a little weak, However, I did pull a 19 foot Bayliner boot without a problem.

1999 ranger xlt 4dr
By Rah on 07/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Ive had nothing but problems with my ford inc, fire in electical, front suspension problems, engine pings, abs doesnt work all the time!

A Great Truck!
By spencer on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Since owning my baby, I've never had a problem. I love my truck and have taken it just about everywhere. For a small truck, it can pull quite a bit. The only drawback I have noticed is the fuel economy, but there is a price to pay with everything! After driving a Toyota with no power at all, I knew that this was the truck for me!