Used 1999 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Upset in Oregon
By Domestic?

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I lived in a small town with big weather. Two weeks after I purchased the truck it snowed a lot. I've had nothing but problems with the four wheel drive since and the 5 star dealership couldn't care less. This is not the first Ford I've ever owned but I've had about as much luck with all. Like a lot of people I know I'm going to try a Dodge and if that doesn't work out I'll begin looking in the foreign markets. I hear Toyota's doing interesting things with their 4x4's.

V6 with plenty of torque, am FM cd and cassette stock, fourth door is cool.

Ive been running into problems with dealer specific parts and special expensive tools.

I want another one, it is so great, fun,
By sandra

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The best vehicle I've owned; fun, reliable, economical. People think my ‘99 model is brand new. I spend hours taking care of it and it shows. No big problems. Couldn’t even wear out the tires. I love my Ranger. If not for a disability I wouldn't part with it. Not suitable for wheelchair conversion. Too bad for me.

Power mirrors.

Bbench seat in back, not jump seats.

My Ranger
By Rich

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is the 2nd Ranger that I have owned. My 99 4x4 has been a great truck. I love to drive it and she performs great off road. I take her hunting and sometimes sleep in the back (has a shell). I put on a set of B.F.Goodrich All Terrains and the off road performance got better! I also utilize a K&N air filter and with my 4.0 I get 24mpg. Great Truck, I Love It!

Has great looks and with the 265/75R/16 B.F.Goodrich All Terrains has super ground clearance and traction.

Would like to see some type of easy access to the fuel pump for emergency fuel pump replacement when in off road situations.

Buy a Ranger...Get an Extended Warranty
By cday1

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Love the truck, except transmission problems at 50,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles. I've had enough, Tacoma here I come.

Style, interior, etc.

Improved transmission reliability.

50000 miles and it stinks already
By dont_buy_american

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new, thinking I would get years of trouble-free service from it. I have only put 50K miles in 6 years, kept it garaged, regular oil changes. Yet it has developed annoying rattles. The MAF sensor went out on it last year. It runs mediocre and knocks on hills with regular gas. Currently it has another problem where it stalls on start and runs poorly with rough idle. Who only knows how much this will cost to fix. Save yourself some trouble and buy a Tacoma or Frontier. It will cost less in the long run.

It's just a plain bare bones truck, no frills. I like that it has orange turn lights. I hate the red dual purpose brake light/turn signal. Like the A/C too.

A fold-down arm rest would have been nice. The gear shift knob has a maddening rattle.