Used 1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

150K+ miles and It was WONDERFUL!
By buldog60

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I got my 99 Ranger with 11K miles on it. I drove it till it was totaled with ~150,000 miles on it. I was ever so sad to loose my truck. It was fun to drive, got decent enough gas mileage, was super reliable. It never had a hard time starting, AC was still ice cold, and never had anything more than oil changes done to it. It is also VERY safe. My mom and 2 year old niece were in the truck when it was totaled, it slid over 200' on the roof after a tire blew on the HWY. Both my mom and niece walked away with out injury. If you are considering a Ranger, GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Safety, Reliability, and Fun to drive. I could take it anywhere and could haul anything I needed to haul.

Suggested Improvements

I'm 6'3" so I wish I the reg cab was just a smidge bigger.

Worst truck ever
By j

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Things started going wrong with this truck early--fairly new & with low mileage--joints, springs, bearings, steering, brake lines, electrical, exhaust. Not reliable at all. This vehicle is a joke really.

Favorite Features

it did have somewhat comfy seats.

Suggested Improvements

where to start? i will never buy another ford product b/c of this truck.

Very strong small truck
By eric

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Owned this truck a few years it is strong has about 16ok miles. This truck is stronger than alloy of full sized with plenty of power. My only complaint is the seats are not very comfortable the metal in the seats is poorly located and covered. I expect this truck to last a long time. Air conditioning and heat on this vehicle is top of the line.

Favorite Features

Lots of power and heating and cooling is great.

Suggested Improvements

seat is uncomfortable

Very Reliable Truck
By singsingsing

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I picked up this vehicle when it had 35K miles. It's only been in the shop a couple times: at 45K miles the speed sensor went out ($350), then at 135K miles, the timing belt and power steering pump when out ($700 both). Around this time the filler hose for the gas tank started to leak. I just taped it really good with Gorilla tape. To replace this part is costs, $350 just for the part! If you go to the salvage yard, all the rangers are missing the filler hose assemble! There are some annoying electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, dome lights and headlight warning sound going out (caused by same switch in the door jamb). Rides rough, and looses traction over bumps.

Favorite Features

Price vs reliability

Suggested Improvements

Spark plugs are hard to get to.

99 Ford Ranger XLT SB AT 4-cyl
By JX

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used at 35K miles. I only had the truck in the shop 3 times. At 50K miles the speed sensor went out ($350). At 130K miles the timing belt broke . I decided to change the power steering pump as it was making lots of noise. Also around this time, I change the alternator and the serpentine belt. The truck does have some minor electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, headlight warning sound going off, cab light going off, and locks needing regular silicon spraying. I never liked the handling of this truck. It seemed like I had to be extra careful when going over bumps at high speed. It would seem to lose traction. Overall, It's a good truck.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the handling.