1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
150K+ miles and It was WONDERFUL!
By buldog60 on 11/21/13 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I got my 99 Ranger with 11K miles on it. I drove it till it was totaled with ~150,000 miles on it. I was ever so sad to loose my truck. It was fun to drive, got decent enough gas mileage, was super reliable. It never had a hard time starting, AC was still ice cold, and never had anything more than oil changes done to it. It is also VERY safe. My mom and 2 year old niece were in the truck when it was totaled, it slid over 200' on the roof after a tire blew on the HWY. Both my mom and niece walked away with out injury. If you are considering a Ranger, GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

Worst truck ever
By j on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Things started going wrong with this truck early--fairly new & with low mileage--joints, springs, bearings, steering, brake lines, electrical, exhaust. Not reliable at all. This vehicle is a joke really.

Very strong small truck
By eric on 06/25/10 04:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Owned this truck a few years it is strong has about 16ok miles. This truck is stronger than alloy of full sized with plenty of power. My only complaint is the seats are not very comfortable the metal in the seats is poorly located and covered. I expect this truck to last a long time. Air conditioning and heat on this vehicle is top of the line.

Very Reliable Truck
By singsingsing on 03/03/10 16:57 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I picked up this vehicle when it had 35K miles. It's only been in the shop a couple times: at 45K miles the speed sensor went out ($350), then at 135K miles, the timing belt and power steering pump when out ($700 both). Around this time the filler hose for the gas tank started to leak. I just taped it really good with Gorilla tape. To replace this part is costs, $350 just for the part! If you go to the salvage yard, all the rangers are missing the filler hose assemble! There are some annoying electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, dome lights and headlight warning sound going out (caused by same switch in the door jamb). Rides rough, and looses traction over bumps.

99 Ford Ranger XLT SB AT 4-cyl
By JX on 02/24/10 14:14 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used at 35K miles. I only had the truck in the shop 3 times. At 50K miles the speed sensor went out ($350). At 130K miles the timing belt broke . I decided to change the power steering pump as it was making lots of noise. Also around this time, I change the alternator and the serpentine belt. The truck does have some minor electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, headlight warning sound going off, cab light going off, and locks needing regular silicon spraying. I never liked the handling of this truck. It seemed like I had to be extra careful when going over bumps at high speed. It would seem to lose traction. Overall, It's a good truck.

Great Truck
By Joe on 02/20/10 13:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought this as a work truck and it's been through a lot of punishment and some heavy payloads. Shortly after we got it we had to replace the autotyranny(around 115k) with a used one, but it works great now. Just hit 130k not to long ago. The 2.5l engine is kinda weak, not enough power but gets the job done, gets around 14-16mpg highway, very poor for a small truck/engine, the dealer couldn't find out why its so poor, but runs great nonetheless. Has good suspension and great build quality. It's been in a accident before we had it, we think it hit and drove ontop of a small car rear end/trunk, but it nevered caused a problem for us! I really do love this truck.

Darn good trucks
By Scott on 01/16/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st was a 92 reg cab SB 2.3 w/5sp. Sold with 198,000 on it. 2nd. Is the 99. reg. cab. short box. Still driving it with 220000 on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. I tow a utility trailer with a 2 seater atv consistantly. The 2.5 and auto trans. work well, if a little low on power. My trucks haul and tow constantly so this a testament to the Ford build quality of these little trucks. At 6'4", 250lbs, I'm a little cramped. Just bought an 06 king cab auto with the 3.0 today but am keeping the 99 as my commuter. This makes my 3rd white Ranger! Great winter trucks if you run studded snows and put 250 to 300lbs in the back. Never had any traction issues here in NH.

I've been very pleased thus far
By brandonh98 on 07/01/09 20:23 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

When I first bought this truck new in 99' I loved it...At about 25K miles the rear end went...and then I started having trouble with the 4wd at about 30k miles. I thought at that point that this thing was going to start to be a pain in the rear but since 30k miles I haven't had to put a dime into it except for normal wear items such as brakes, ball joints etc...at just over 110k miles I can say this is been a very reliable truck thus far...

My baby
By Ron on 03/23/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love this truck! I bought it used with 225,000 miles on it! No Joke! It runs perfect. It was a Fleet truck for car-quest. Only repairs I had to due are the normal ones with the mileage, alternator and sway bar links. I also just replaced the radiator because of a small crack in the plastic tank but I live on a poorly grated dirt road. I love the gas mileage. Its a 5-speed 4 cylinder and I cut off the stock muffler then threw on a cherry bomb glass-pack and I average 32 mpg, way higher then the epa estimated rating. I found out the ford 302 V8 will fit, planning on getting one. I love these trucks so much I just bought one for my wife( V6 ext cab automatic). Ford Ranger owner for life now.

Reliable and economical
By Junaid on 11/09/08 11:02 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new. I was a little apprehensive buying American since I have had bad experiences with a GM car. This truck has been very reliable, only had one mass airflow sensor die on me and it was a $100 fix. I put in myself with a screwdriver. It's almost 100,000 miles now and I haven't even had to replace the battery or brakes. It just keeps on ticking. It's the basic model with AC so few things to break down.