1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great truck for anything!
By LoneRanger on 09/15/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 100k on the clock and have put 120k on it since for a total of 220k miles!!! It has the 3.0 in it and its the best truck I have ever owned, it has never let me down. Other than normal stuff i.e. brakes tires and a few ball joints its been problem free. I would buy another ranger in a second. Only downfall of the truck is the ride. Front susp. is a little whooped out. Also rangers are known (in the north) for the rear shackles rotting out which mine have. A $100 fix if you do it yourself. And rear springs could be stronger. I haul dirt bikes 3 times a week all over Ohio and its perfect. Buy a Ford ranger.

Very Reliable
By Tennessee on 08/04/09 03:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great little truck. VERY RELIABLE. Never had any problems. 21mpg has been appreciated and fact that body style has not changed much, truck still looks like new. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Pfffft
By Ramndomguy32 on 01/06/09 17:59 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Lots and lots of never ending electrical problems from year 1. Constantly needed tune ups about every other oil change.

3rd Ranger in a row!
By Wayne D. on 04/06/08 20:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

3rd Ranger in 15 years. This the newest a '99 XLT Extended Cab, SB. Bought used w/ 92K at a local truck dealer. I love this truck, but the 3.0 does lack power and for such a small engine, and for that, the fuel economy stinks. It is built for a small truck however. I put new heavy duty leaf springs from JC Whitney, which lifted the rear and fixed the load droop, fixed up numerous minor wear/tear and tune up stuff (brakes, water pump, tires, plugs, shocks, etc.) At 145K, developed a lifter tick which 2/3 quart Marvel Mystery oil solved. Overall, I love it regartdless and will keep it until it dies, 'cause it's not worth enough to part with anyway!

Battle Tested
By John on 09/16/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This car gave me no probelms ever. Once it was parked in front of my house and someone crashed into it at about 30 head on and my car was fine, his was totalled. The car did not survive its second accident, it was t- boned by a Ford Econoline going about 50, but no one in the Ranger had so much as a scratch.

Sweet 99
By Ray on 09/08/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I had a major problem with the transmission and it needed to be replaced. I had bought the extended warranty and Ford bought the tranny, a u-bolt and rear section of the drive shaft. No hassle, no problems. This is one of the best looking and best performing trucks I have ever had. I will probably keep it till the wheels fall off and can't be put back together.

Good, simple truck
By martinjmpr on 07/06/07 08:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought it new in 1999, sold it in 2003 with 94,000 miles (almost 25k/year.) I deliberately got the simplest vehicle I could, 2wd, 3.0l V-6 and 5-speed, with the XLT package for the cloth seats, AC, and 15" wheels. I drove this vehicle all over Wyoming and Colorado for 4 years and it never had a serious problem. Only minor problems were with the stock seat, rear leaf springs, and a "check engine" light that came on at about 64k. Very rugged, and surprisingly comfortable for long distance trips. Build quality was impressive - this was my first American manufactured vehicle in 15 years. No unusual rattles, no difficulty with the engine or tranny. Gas mileage was 19- 20 city, 24-26 hwy.

Ranger PU
By Skip on 03/24/07 17:53 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought 1 yr old with 10K - I think the Ranger feels more solid than Japanese trucks or the Chevy's and a bit larger. Still no rattles 8 years later. Paint stayed good as did interior. Only two significant repairs. This was our 2nd Ranger - the other a 94 - the 99 was far better.

most dependable vehicle i have ever owned
By jd willey on 08/31/06 18:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 99 and have put 105,000 miles on it. Dependability has been outstanding, fit and finish has maintained extremely well for a daily driver. The suspension, and pretty much all the mechanicals are showing almost NO signs of wear. The only things that I have ever had to replace on it is a brake rotor, the manifold pressure sensor, 1 set of plugs and wires and normal wear items like brake pads, wiper blades, and 1 fan belt. That's it! If this truck ever wears out I will replace it with another Ranger, no doubt.

Buy a Ranger...Get an Extended Warranty
By cday1 on 11/17/05 20:38 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Love the truck, except transmission problems at 50,000 miles and again at 70,000 miles. I've had enough, Tacoma here I come.