1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
not a good truck to own
By truck_man1 on 03/14/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I had a 99 ford ranger 4.0 liter and they are such gas hogs and the breakes they put on were not good at all and don't want another ranger at all

Good Little Truck
By minitruckman on 11/06/12 13:23 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Had this truck since 2010, bought with 150,000 miles on her. Since then I've changed the brake rotors, pads, brake booster, master cylinder, 02 sensors, wheel cylinders, and oil. Overall this is an excellent truck, the extended cab is roomy enough for 2 at the most. Seats have held up well for a 12 year old truck with now almost 180,000 miles on it. In baton rouge city traffic, I get between 19.5 -21 mpg all city, and my best tank was 25 on the highway!

Ford tough little truck
By JL on 08/16/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I highly recommend this tough little truck! I bought it new and still drive it daily. The only things I've had to do is regular maintenance and tires and the typical things such as alternator at 85,000 and brakes every 20,000 on the front. Following the Ford maintenance schedule keeps it moving along. The 4.0 provides plenty of power.

135,000+ miles and runs great
By Rich on 04/05/10 21:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Sometimes i think people just have bad luck or something. I've noticed a couple bad reviews and just don't understand. I bought my ranger used in 2000 with 23,000 miles on it and it now has 135,000+ miles on it and still runs awesomely. I've only had to change the tires, muffler, clean and replace the mass airflow sensor, brakes/rotors, and that's it. That's all crap, you need to replace regardless of what you drive. Hell, I'm even very bad about changing my oil! I think I've even gone nearly 2 years without changing the oil! My ranger is by far my favorite vehicle purchase. It keeps ticking and NEVER lets me down.

Terrible
By Chris on 12/06/09 18:12 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Bought this truck close to a year ago and I've had nothing but problems with it. I bought it, found out the ball joints needed to be replaced. A dealership cannot legally sell a vehicle that is in bad mechanical shape, so I called them and they agreed to pay the cost of the ball joints. Then I found out that I needed new cylinder heads and a head gasket, they paid half. Then the wheel bearing went and so did the hubs. Used hubs are hard to come by as you need a special tool to take a hub off this ranger without breaking it. I keep getting failing idle control valves as well. My boss use to own it, he put $3000 into it. Truck has 246000 km on it, but it shouldn't be breaking this much.

Still going after 110K
By Jon on 10/01/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had little problems with this truck. Used it like a truck, towing, hauling and long distance travel. Had to replace clutch at 95K, my fault, towing a boat long distance that was too heavy for my truck. 110K now with no major problems, "door ajar" light always on so I just removed fuse. Wipers turn on more frequently, but I've read elsewhere that is common for this model year Ranger. Added an electronic brake controller,heavy duty rear shocks and class III hitch for towing. Truck is a little sluggish now, but full synthetic oil, K&N filter and new plugs and it's still running strong once it gets going.

Great truck for anything!
By LoneRanger on 09/15/09 19:10 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 100k on the clock and have put 120k on it since for a total of 220k miles!!! It has the 3.0 in it and its the best truck I have ever owned, it has never let me down. Other than normal stuff i.e. brakes tires and a few ball joints its been problem free. I would buy another ranger in a second. Only downfall of the truck is the ride. Front susp. is a little whooped out. Also rangers are known (in the north) for the rear shackles rotting out which mine have. A $100 fix if you do it yourself. And rear springs could be stronger. I haul dirt bikes 3 times a week all over Ohio and its perfect. Buy a Ford ranger.

99 Ranger- A Tank
By later on 08/05/09 05:56 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my 99 2wd xlt new and still have it. Have put 186000 on it in 10 years, hauled wood, driven over fields, towed a trailer and driven it to work. Replaced clutch at 56,000 (daughter learned to drive a stick), sway bar broke at 186,000, electical issues at 120,000, about $1000 repair. Replaced the original battery at 175,000, new brakes about 130,000. Tired of the stick shift but this truck goes and goes. This has been a tank and I highly recommend it.

Very Reliable
By Tennessee on 08/04/09 03:59 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great little truck. VERY RELIABLE. Never had any problems. 21mpg has been appreciated and fact that body style has not changed much, truck still looks like new. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

great truck
By great truck on 05/12/09 07:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

my frist truck has been great to me more than enough power and if you're smart you can get 20mpg out of it i love this truck. i had a 6V92 in the back which wieghs 2000 lbs in the box and i drove it 40 miles home