1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
150K+ miles and It was WONDERFUL!
By buldog60 on 11/21/13 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I got my 99 Ranger with 11K miles on it. I drove it till it was totaled with ~150,000 miles on it. I was ever so sad to loose my truck. It was fun to drive, got decent enough gas mileage, was super reliable. It never had a hard time starting, AC was still ice cold, and never had anything more than oil changes done to it. It is also VERY safe. My mom and 2 year old niece were in the truck when it was totaled, it slid over 200' on the roof after a tire blew on the HWY. Both my mom and niece walked away with out injury. If you are considering a Ranger, GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

Darn good trucks
By Scott on 01/16/10 14:11 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st was a 92 reg cab SB 2.3 w/5sp. Sold with 198,000 on it. 2nd. Is the 99. reg. cab. short box. Still driving it with 220000 on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. I tow a utility trailer with a 2 seater atv consistantly. The 2.5 and auto trans. work well, if a little low on power. My trucks haul and tow constantly so this a testament to the Ford build quality of these little trucks. At 6'4", 250lbs, I'm a little cramped. Just bought an 06 king cab auto with the 3.0 today but am keeping the 99 as my commuter. This makes my 3rd white Ranger! Great winter trucks if you run studded snows and put 250 to 300lbs in the back. Never had any traction issues here in NH.

My baby
By Ron on 03/23/09 08:15 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love this truck! I bought it used with 225,000 miles on it! No Joke! It runs perfect. It was a Fleet truck for car-quest. Only repairs I had to due are the normal ones with the mileage, alternator and sway bar links. I also just replaced the radiator because of a small crack in the plastic tank but I live on a poorly grated dirt road. I love the gas mileage. Its a 5-speed 4 cylinder and I cut off the stock muffler then threw on a cherry bomb glass-pack and I average 32 mpg, way higher then the epa estimated rating. I found out the ford 302 V8 will fit, planning on getting one. I love these trucks so much I just bought one for my wife( V6 ext cab automatic). Ford Ranger owner for life now.

Reliable and economical
By Junaid on 11/09/08 11:02 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new. I was a little apprehensive buying American since I have had bad experiences with a GM car. This truck has been very reliable, only had one mass airflow sensor die on me and it was a $100 fix. I put in myself with a screwdriver. It's almost 100,000 miles now and I haven't even had to replace the battery or brakes. It just keeps on ticking. It's the basic model with AC so few things to break down.

50000 miles and it stinks already
By dont_buy_american on 08/09/05 19:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new, thinking I would get years of trouble-free service from it. I have only put 50K miles in 6 years, kept it garaged, regular oil changes. Yet it has developed annoying rattles. The MAF sensor went out on it last year. It runs mediocre and knocks on hills with regular gas. Currently it has another problem where it stalls on start and runs poorly with rough idle. Who only knows how much this will cost to fix. Save yourself some trouble and buy a Tacoma or Frontier. It will cost less in the long run.

Ford Ranger
By Craig S. Castellana on 03/11/02 08:49 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I found the gem of a used truck Thnksgvng 01. A 99 Ranger basic baby A/C, AM/FM Radio, 5 speed, 13k miles, yes 13k. A gift truly to be thankful for. The only problem noted was a vibration in the rear end at 65 mph and as I am a commuter that was a big deal. However, between Ford and Carmax the problem was fixed and I cannot say enough good things about my Ranger. This is a bare bones truck that delivers the goods anywhere any time. She makes me proud and works hard for me w/o any complaints.