Used 1999 Ford Ranger XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

150K+ miles and It was WONDERFUL!
By buldog60

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I got my 99 Ranger with 11K miles on it. I drove it till it was totaled with ~150,000 miles on it. I was ever so sad to loose my truck. It was fun to drive, got decent enough gas mileage, was super reliable. It never had a hard time starting, AC was still ice cold, and never had anything more than oil changes done to it. It is also VERY safe. My mom and 2 year old niece were in the truck when it was totaled, it slid over 200' on the roof after a tire blew on the HWY. Both my mom and niece walked away with out injury. If you are considering a Ranger, GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

Safety, Reliability, and Fun to drive. I could take it anywhere and could haul anything I needed to haul.

I'm 6'3" so I wish I the reg cab was just a smidge bigger.

Darn good trucks
By Scott

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

1st was a 92 reg cab SB 2.3 w/5sp. Sold with 198,000 on it. 2nd. Is the 99. reg. cab. short box. Still driving it with 220000 on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. I tow a utility trailer with a 2 seater atv consistantly. The 2.5 and auto trans. work well, if a little low on power. My trucks haul and tow constantly so this a testament to the Ford build quality of these little trucks. At 6'4", 250lbs, I'm a little cramped. Just bought an 06 king cab auto with the 3.0 today but am keeping the 99 as my commuter. This makes my 3rd white Ranger! Great winter trucks if you run studded snows and put 250 to 300lbs in the back. Never had any traction issues here in NH.

Easy to work on. Aftermarcket accessories abound CHEAP! Great gas mileage. Low maintenance overall. Best headlights out there.

Bring back old fashioned bench seats. A few more inches of cab space behind the seats for us large folk.

My baby
By Ron

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I love this truck! I bought it used with 225,000 miles on it! No Joke! It runs perfect. It was a Fleet truck for car-quest. Only repairs I had to due are the normal ones with the mileage, alternator and sway bar links. I also just replaced the radiator because of a small crack in the plastic tank but I live on a poorly grated dirt road. I love the gas mileage. Its a 5-speed 4 cylinder and I cut off the stock muffler then threw on a cherry bomb glass-pack and I average 32 mpg, way higher then the epa estimated rating. I found out the ford 302 V8 will fit, planning on getting one. I love these trucks so much I just bought one for my wife( V6 ext cab automatic). Ford Ranger owner for life now.

Gas mileage, the power that little 4 cyl. puts out and how fun it is to drive.

Add the option of Dual exhaust and the engine option of a 302 or 351 V8. They both fit but the 351 needs a lift kit added. (Its a little tighter fit than the 302)

Reliable and economical
By Junaid

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new. I was a little apprehensive buying American since I have had bad experiences with a GM car. This truck has been very reliable, only had one mass airflow sensor die on me and it was a $100 fix. I put in myself with a screwdriver. It's almost 100,000 miles now and I haven't even had to replace the battery or brakes. It just keeps on ticking. It's the basic model with AC so few things to break down.

Reliable. Low-maintenance. 25+mpg highway. Enough ground clearance to handle most dirt roads in the Pacific NW. Cold AC

Better MAF sensor. Locking fuel cap

50000 miles and it stinks already
By dont_buy_american

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck new, thinking I would get years of trouble-free service from it. I have only put 50K miles in 6 years, kept it garaged, regular oil changes. Yet it has developed annoying rattles. The MAF sensor went out on it last year. It runs mediocre and knocks on hills with regular gas. Currently it has another problem where it stalls on start and runs poorly with rough idle. Who only knows how much this will cost to fix. Save yourself some trouble and buy a Tacoma or Frontier. It will cost less in the long run.

It's just a plain bare bones truck, no frills. I like that it has orange turn lights. I hate the red dual purpose brake light/turn signal. Like the A/C too.

A fold-down arm rest would have been nice. The gear shift knob has a maddening rattle.