Used 1999 Ford Ranger XL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

EXCELLENT TRUCK
By lutorr6

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 1999 Ford Ranger brand new with 13 miles on it. It was the best purchase I have ever made. My truck is extremely reliable. It has never left me stranded. The parts are cheap. It gets descent gas mileage. I LOVED MY TRUCK. My current mileage is 310,000. If you considering buying a truck, I would highly recommend a Ford Ranger. It was the best purchase I ever made.

Still going after 110K
By Jon

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had little problems with this truck. Used it like a truck, towing, hauling and long distance travel. Had to replace clutch at 95K, my fault, towing a boat long distance that was too heavy for my truck. 110K now with no major problems, "door ajar" light always on so I just removed fuse. Wipers turn on more frequently, but I've read elsewhere that is common for this model year Ranger. Added an electronic brake controller,heavy duty rear shocks and class III hitch for towing. Truck is a little sluggish now, but full synthetic oil, K&N filter and new plugs and it's still running strong once it gets going.

comfortable for one or two people, decent gas mileage.

Why doesn't Ford fix "door ajar" sensor and wiper switch problem.

99 Ranger- A Tank
By later

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought my 99 2wd xlt new and still have it. Have put 186000 on it in 10 years, hauled wood, driven over fields, towed a trailer and driven it to work. Replaced clutch at 56,000 (daughter learned to drive a stick), sway bar broke at 186,000, electical issues at 120,000, about $1000 repair. Replaced the original battery at 175,000, new brakes about 130,000. Tired of the stick shift but this truck goes and goes. This has been a tank and I highly recommend it.

tow package

My '99 Ranger
By nascarlar

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

My '99 Ranger is my second Ford Ranger; my first one was a stick and Idrove it 110,000 miles with no major repair besides the general maintenance. Also never replaced the clutch. I am going on 5 years now with this one and no major repairs besides the general maintenace. Thank you Ford for the Ranger. i am looking at a Ford f-150 as my next purchase but the problem is I do not know when because the Ranger is still going strong.

In the Rangers with the extended cab I wish you could put captains chairs as seats along with a console instead of the bench seats.

Great Tuck
By winkhink

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is at 65,000 and I have had it since the begining. Had minor proplems, speed sensor which kept ABS light on in dash but that was covered under warantee. DFPE sensor also turned that light on but that was at 45,000. Wipers come on every once in a while out of the blue but nothing excessive, once a month. Made many trips from SC to NY and travels very good. Drive in heavy traffic during the week and even a stick is easy to drive. Still have original brakes and 2 tires. Great Truck but have to agree the seats in the back don't amount for much when you put someone in the front seat.

4.0L engine and being able to tow what I need, in reason

extend the cab just a bit and take a little from the bed