Used 1999 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Most Helpful|
My Little Ford Ranger
By CLO

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has lived through being driven as a first time vehicle by my three sons. Each one has "rearranged" the body, but the little truck has always come back. This last time, my youngest son drove it into a tree. Lucklily he wasn't hurt, but the tree is dead and my little Ranger may be totaled due to the cost of the damages. I really enjoyed this truck and it has helped me build a business over the last 7 years. It's tough having 3 sons - the Ranger has been much easier to live with.

Favorite Features

The body style with the flare over the wheels.

Very Reliable Truck
By singsingsing

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I picked up this vehicle when it had 35K miles. It's only been in the shop a couple times: at 45K miles the speed sensor went out ($350), then at 135K miles, the timing belt and power steering pump when out ($700 both). Around this time the filler hose for the gas tank started to leak. I just taped it really good with Gorilla tape. To replace this part is costs, $350 just for the part! If you go to the salvage yard, all the rangers are missing the filler hose assemble! There are some annoying electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, dome lights and headlight warning sound going out (caused by same switch in the door jamb). Rides rough, and looses traction over bumps.

Favorite Features

Price vs reliability

Suggested Improvements

Spark plugs are hard to get to.

99 Ford Ranger XLT SB AT 4-cyl
By JX

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used at 35K miles. I only had the truck in the shop 3 times. At 50K miles the speed sensor went out ($350). At 130K miles the timing belt broke . I decided to change the power steering pump as it was making lots of noise. Also around this time, I change the alternator and the serpentine belt. The truck does have some minor electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, headlight warning sound going off, cab light going off, and locks needing regular silicon spraying. I never liked the handling of this truck. It seemed like I had to be extra careful when going over bumps at high speed. It would seem to lose traction. Overall, It's a good truck.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the handling.

good reliable truck
By julia

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is our 3rd ranger. 1st ranger was a 4x4 XL 93, great truck, sold it at 136k, body was perfect as was the motor. Then got a king cab 4x4 1999, gas mileage was only ok and there was the 3.0L ping, not super happy with that truck although no problems. Now, the standard cab XLT 1999 truck is great. Seats are comfortable, paint/body is solid and runs perfect. Gas mileage is in the low 20's for mostly city driving. Interior is nicer than a Toyota imo, and the truck sits up higher for a 2wd. Only issue we have had is a wiper switch, (phantom on/off wipers)which should be a $50 fix. It's got 70k and we have done nothing to it but change tires and oil. Thumbs up.

Favorite Features

Seats, interior layout, good paint, solid little truck.

Suggested Improvements

Don't know, I've had good luck with my Rangers, I think they are a steal for a used truck.

Overall Good Truck
By Phil

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

Favorite Features

Looks good, sits high, rubber instead of carpet.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg or more power. Engine shouldn't have gone out at 140k. Remove the speed limiter. If I get another one it will have PW, PL, and cruise. Ford should add the 5.0 v8 out of the 99-01 Explorer as an option. It would get as good or better mpg and have a ton more power than the 4 cylinder.