1999 Ford Ranger 2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Very Reliable Truck
By singsingsing on 03/03/10 16:57 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I picked up this vehicle when it had 35K miles. It's only been in the shop a couple times: at 45K miles the speed sensor went out ($350), then at 135K miles, the timing belt and power steering pump when out ($700 both). Around this time the filler hose for the gas tank started to leak. I just taped it really good with Gorilla tape. To replace this part is costs, $350 just for the part! If you go to the salvage yard, all the rangers are missing the filler hose assemble! There are some annoying electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, dome lights and headlight warning sound going out (caused by same switch in the door jamb). Rides rough, and looses traction over bumps.

99 Ford Ranger XLT SB AT 4-cyl
By JX on 02/24/10 14:14 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used at 35K miles. I only had the truck in the shop 3 times. At 50K miles the speed sensor went out ($350). At 130K miles the timing belt broke . I decided to change the power steering pump as it was making lots of noise. Also around this time, I change the alternator and the serpentine belt. The truck does have some minor electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, headlight warning sound going off, cab light going off, and locks needing regular silicon spraying. I never liked the handling of this truck. It seemed like I had to be extra careful when going over bumps at high speed. It would seem to lose traction. Overall, It's a good truck.

My Little Ford Ranger
By CLO on 06/14/07 07:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This truck has lived through being driven as a first time vehicle by my three sons. Each one has "rearranged" the body, but the little truck has always come back. This last time, my youngest son drove it into a tree. Lucklily he wasn't hurt, but the tree is dead and my little Ranger may be totaled due to the cost of the damages. I really enjoyed this truck and it has helped me build a business over the last 7 years. It's tough having 3 sons - the Ranger has been much easier to live with.

Overall Good Truck
By Phil on 02/26/07 21:23 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is my first Ranger. I wanted a full size Chevy but this was cheaper. I bought it used for less than $5000 in 2002. I put 110k miles on it and it now has 175k. It has been a good truck overall, however I have had to replace the engine and transmission. It has the 4 cylinder and auto. They both went out, the transmission first and then the engine. In all fairness I pulled a boat with it which may have caused it. I think it should get better mileage for a 4 cylinder. It only gets 20-22mpg no matter highway or city. Other than that maintenance has been very minimal, I've done the brakes a couple of times and replaced the tires and a some light bulbs.

good reliable truck
By julia on 10/13/06 04:28 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is our 3rd ranger. 1st ranger was a 4x4 XL 93, great truck, sold it at 136k, body was perfect as was the motor. Then got a king cab 4x4 1999, gas mileage was only ok and there was the 3.0L ping, not super happy with that truck although no problems. Now, the standard cab XLT 1999 truck is great. Seats are comfortable, paint/body is solid and runs perfect. Gas mileage is in the low 20's for mostly city driving. Interior is nicer than a Toyota imo, and the truck sits up higher for a 2wd. Only issue we have had is a wiper switch, (phantom on/off wipers)which should be a $50 fix. It's got 70k and we have done nothing to it but change tires and oil. Thumbs up.

great truck
By kyle on 04/30/06 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I like the truck overall. Love how it rides higher than most other smaller trucks. Never had a problem with anything on the truck. Buying products off eBay has made maintenance very cheap. I have a 5 speed and it is very fun to drive. Only problem I have noticed is the plastic in the door feels cheap. It is becoming loose and the center seat/compartment is broken. The seat has a few tears in it but it is no problem and looks to be from a knife or other sharp object before I got it. Overall a great truck, but only 23 mpg and I drive mostly highway.

A few problems
By Kyle Brashear on 12/27/04 01:24 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

First the engine; I haven't had any mechanical problems with the engine, it has 130,000 miles on it so far. I had to replace the bearings. The door ajar light used to stay on. The dome light has some issues. My speedometer cable currently isn't working. I get about 25 miles a gallon, with the 4 cylinder, which is pretty slow to me.

Good Truck
By RobsReview on 08/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had the truck for a year and like it a lot, I have a 2,000 lb. Ski boat that I can tow easily and I have the small V6 (3.0 liter). It is very dependable and will buy another when they have a true four door and V8 option which is supposed to debut in 2006.

Pain in the butt!
By REL on 02/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used with 26000 miles on it.The cushioning in the drivers seat was completely worn down,and I can feel the steel pan whenever I drive.The door ajar light will come on,and the dome light will stay on(theres no off switch on the light).I only get 20 mpg in mixed driving(w/the 2.5 4cyl.)And The mass air flow sensor will malfunction causing the engine to hesitate and stall.Ive owned 2 toyota's prior to this,and will sell this p.o.s and buy another !

RANGER REVIEW
By JOSH on 02/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I've had it for a while. I wanna get rid of stick and get a fullsize truck so I can lower it and put huge rims on it. This truck ran good and was really fun to drive