1999 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
not a good truck to own
By truck_man1 on 03/14/14 21:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I had a 99 ford ranger 4.0 liter and they are such gas hogs and the breakes they put on were not good at all and don't want another ranger at all

150K+ miles and It was WONDERFUL!
By buldog60 on 11/21/13 07:47 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I got my 99 Ranger with 11K miles on it. I drove it till it was totaled with ~150,000 miles on it. I was ever so sad to loose my truck. It was fun to drive, got decent enough gas mileage, was super reliable. It never had a hard time starting, AC was still ice cold, and never had anything more than oil changes done to it. It is also VERY safe. My mom and 2 year old niece were in the truck when it was totaled, it slid over 200' on the roof after a tire blew on the HWY. Both my mom and niece walked away with out injury. If you are considering a Ranger, GET IT! You will not be disappointed.

Good Little Truck
By minitruckman on 11/06/12 13:23 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Had this truck since 2010, bought with 150,000 miles on her. Since then I've changed the brake rotors, pads, brake booster, master cylinder, 02 sensors, wheel cylinders, and oil. Overall this is an excellent truck, the extended cab is roomy enough for 2 at the most. Seats have held up well for a 12 year old truck with now almost 180,000 miles on it. In baton rouge city traffic, I get between 19.5 -21 mpg all city, and my best tank was 25 on the highway!

Worst truck ever
By j on 11/15/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Things started going wrong with this truck early--fairly new & with low mileage--joints, springs, bearings, steering, brake lines, electrical, exhaust. Not reliable at all. This vehicle is a joke really.

Ford tough little truck
By JL on 08/16/10 15:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I highly recommend this tough little truck! I bought it new and still drive it daily. The only things I've had to do is regular maintenance and tires and the typical things such as alternator at 85,000 and brakes every 20,000 on the front. Following the Ford maintenance schedule keeps it moving along. The 4.0 provides plenty of power.

Very strong small truck
By eric on 06/25/10 04:52 AM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Owned this truck a few years it is strong has about 16ok miles. This truck is stronger than alloy of full sized with plenty of power. My only complaint is the seats are not very comfortable the metal in the seats is poorly located and covered. I expect this truck to last a long time. Air conditioning and heat on this vehicle is top of the line.

135,000+ miles and runs great
By Rich on 04/05/10 21:31 PM (PDT)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Sometimes i think people just have bad luck or something. I've noticed a couple bad reviews and just don't understand. I bought my ranger used in 2000 with 23,000 miles on it and it now has 135,000+ miles on it and still runs awesomely. I've only had to change the tires, muffler, clean and replace the mass airflow sensor, brakes/rotors, and that's it. That's all crap, you need to replace regardless of what you drive. Hell, I'm even very bad about changing my oil! I think I've even gone nearly 2 years without changing the oil! My ranger is by far my favorite vehicle purchase. It keeps ticking and NEVER lets me down.

Very Reliable Truck
By singsingsing on 03/03/10 16:57 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I picked up this vehicle when it had 35K miles. It's only been in the shop a couple times: at 45K miles the speed sensor went out ($350), then at 135K miles, the timing belt and power steering pump when out ($700 both). Around this time the filler hose for the gas tank started to leak. I just taped it really good with Gorilla tape. To replace this part is costs, $350 just for the part! If you go to the salvage yard, all the rangers are missing the filler hose assemble! There are some annoying electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, dome lights and headlight warning sound going out (caused by same switch in the door jamb). Rides rough, and looses traction over bumps.

99 Ford Ranger XLT SB AT 4-cyl
By JX on 02/24/10 14:14 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used at 35K miles. I only had the truck in the shop 3 times. At 50K miles the speed sensor went out ($350). At 130K miles the timing belt broke . I decided to change the power steering pump as it was making lots of noise. Also around this time, I change the alternator and the serpentine belt. The truck does have some minor electrical issues: wipers turning on by themselves, headlight warning sound going off, cab light going off, and locks needing regular silicon spraying. I never liked the handling of this truck. It seemed like I had to be extra careful when going over bumps at high speed. It would seem to lose traction. Overall, It's a good truck.

Great Truck
By Joe on 02/20/10 13:07 PM (PST)

1999 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

My dad bought this as a work truck and it's been through a lot of punishment and some heavy payloads. Shortly after we got it we had to replace the autotyranny(around 115k) with a used one, but it works great now. Just hit 130k not to long ago. The 2.5l engine is kinda weak, not enough power but gets the job done, gets around 14-16mpg highway, very poor for a small truck/engine, the dealer couldn't find out why its so poor, but runs great nonetheless. Has good suspension and great build quality. It's been in a accident before we had it, we think it hit and drove ontop of a small car rear end/trunk, but it nevered caused a problem for us! I really do love this truck.