1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: First truck I've owned...and s

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Extended Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

First truck I've owned...and still own.
By Jim N. on

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Mine's only a 2WD/4cyl/5speed, but it's taken me thru 4 Colorado winters. Great for light hauling around town and helping friends move. I use 85octane gas and get an average of 25mpg. If I put 87octane, I can usually squeeze out 1-2 more mpg. I'm at about 98k miles now. No major work has been needed. Regular LOF changes, brakes every 30k, tires at 45k and 90k (prolly my fault for the tires). I replaced shocks, fuel filter and had tune-up at 92k miles. Only annoying thing was the cab light would stay on during the summer after the driver's door was shut. Ended up unplugging the cable in the door.

The fact that it's taken me to hell and back and still runs! :-)

I haven't heard lately, but the cab light issue was a problem (or so I read) that Ford refused to recognize. It's a common rant on Ranger messages boards. I don't know if the problem exists in newer models, but it is really annoying in my truck...which is why I just unplugged it.