1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: Best truck I've ever owned, $

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Extended Cab Pickup (2.5L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Best truck I've ever owned, $ for $
By abouttime on

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It seems lots of folks are looking for a good used truck, for 2nd. vehicle or as primary driver. This Ford Ranger is everything you could ever hope for. Reliable, get in and go, always. 21mpg around town, bed is big enough for most jobs, x cab is great for couple with luggage, etc. 4 cyl/5 speed is strong enough to get a ticket by end of 2nd. gear if you stay in it, floats at 65-70 in 5th.with no effort. Will tow bike trailer with Harley, no problem. Mine has over 100k miles and nothing gone bad except a tail light bulb so far. I can't imagine a better value for the $.

Favorite Features

XLT package has everything you really need without the extra expense of all the buttons. I like the 4cyl., amazing power, 5 speed man.trans. is nicely balanced. Extra cab area is adequite for 2 on about any trip. Good stereo, all around couldn't get much better.

Suggested Improvements

Cableless h/ac control unit is a little quirky at times, I've been told the air control flapper in the main housing is prone to break and fail, inside the door light switch for interior lights sometimes thinks the door is open, in very cold weather.