Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews - 78 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

The Best Compact Pickup Out There!
By Jordan

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I really love the Ford Ranger because it goes forever on a tank of gas. I bought this truck used and it was in excellent shape. It is great acceleration with the 5 speed transmission. I would recomened this vehicle to a friend.

CD player. Power windows and locks. Airbags. Air conditioning. Power from the 2.5L 4 cylinder!

None

I like the gas mileage
By Bigticket42

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I like this truck. I am 6'6" and 250 lbs and I fit in the truck pretty well. I would like to have the size of a full size truck but with gas mileage fluctuating between $2.19 - $3.19 this is the best 4X4 to own. I get an average of 16 - 17 mpg both highway and in town combined. These trucks are reliable. The have there little glitch like door switches especially in mine which is a 4 door. I have the 3.0L V6 with the 5 speed so I think that explains the good gas mileage. I like the looks of the stepside but for practicality the regular bed is much better. It holds my 3 wheeler though.

I like the electric switch for the 4 wheel drive. Sliding rear window and rear hinged back doors. I love the gas mileage. I have owned other full size 4X4s and I miss the size, but when it comes to fuel efficiency this is the way to go.

I really have no way to make this better.

review of 98 Ranger XLT
By Max

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had many years of service from my Ranger and have had no problems with it for the first seven years I owned it. This year however, I have had some small problem and one major repair. My total repair cost for the Ranger is less than $1000 dollars over the past eight years.

It is a work horse that will not die! Very fun to drive, and easy to park in the city. The Ranger MPG is great for a truck.

It needs four doors and more room for people with long legs.

Ford Ranger Splash X-cab
By Roger

1998 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Owned this 8 years with few problems, but I've been living with flaky stuff like mirrors adjusting only one way, radio cuts on and off, many mystery things. Good truck to drive, but Splash model has a low tow capacity. Looks good. Paint along door and rain gutter peels, discolors easily. Looking back I'm happy it has lasted this long but not happy with the little things. Hardly used the rear seats but the space in the back is useful. Shakes a bit much "sometimes". Quite mysteriously flaky. Pulls a small 2000lb boat OK.

Looks good and can carry stuff from Home Depot and Lowes. :-)

If they've already addressed the flaky stuff after 8 years great, but my next drive won't be a Ford. Try using solid battery cable clamps instead of cheap hose clamp stuff.

Last Ford
By Ed

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best way to rate this "Fixed Or Repaired Daily" truck is to list the problems: knocking-pinging on hot days going up hills, steering rack assembly (warranty), steering gear ($500), alternator ($250), instrument panel lights ($50), right side HEAD ($1,800), heater diverter valve ($75), leak through third taillight ($75), arm rest (haven't bothered to fix yet) -- all in less than 90,000 miles. Latest problem - potential bad lifter.

This truck has been reliable regarding starting and running for the most part. Fuel economy for a V6 4.0 has been OK (20 mpg highway). My favorite feature is the Line-X liner that was installed aftermarket.