Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

great truck
By justin

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased this truck as a prior salvage that had been repaired. I have abused this truck in every way imaginable and have had no problems other than general maintenance. I put 110000 miles on this truck in two years. Almost all of those miles were highway with the governor holding me back. I have hauled four wheelers, motorcycles, concrete, railroad timbers just anything i can fit in it. Replaced shocks at 130,000 miles, crank sensor at 150,000 miles. Replaced belt tensioner at 176,000 miles. I have rarely changed the oil on time and once went over about 11,000 miles. I have recently had front end end work done. I haven't even changed the plugs or wires and the truck still runs great.

Favorite Features

Mine has 4.0 v6. Very quick for a small pick up. I'm a big guy, about 6'3, and I'm fairly comfortable in it.

Suggested Improvements

none.

suprised
By twogood41

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have enjoyed this truck from day of purchase. The way it rides, drives, looks. Was skeptical of mileage when purchased but it runs like brand new.

Favorite Features

Superior sound system

Suggested Improvements

Has good gas mileage but it would be nice to get better

can't complain
By cypress94

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

What can I say...Definately got my money's worth out of this truck...extremely reliable.

fits my needs
By mark136

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

interior lights have a mind of thier own. totally unreliable. door ajar light is always on. the buzzer reminding me of it intermittantly sounds off. after a year of ownership new brakes and calipurs.I have also experienced vapor lock a few times. . otherwise great and fun and reliable. I'd get another.purchased may 2002 with 46k on the clock.

Favorite Features

looks good.stereo sounds great in a standard cab. responsive. 4wd is easy to work.takes a heck of a good beating

Suggested Improvements

temp gauge is worthless dome lights and door ajar system are an annoyance.otherwise I like the truck.

Great truck !!! Electrical quirks!!??
By tom kleinfeld

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck new in the fall of 1998. I have 150000 thousand miles on it. It has been a good truck. I have had to replace the alternator THREE times and last month had to do the front struts. Not bad for all the miles. The front seat could be a little more comfortable for a bigger guy 6 2". But you can't beat the price and gas milage.