1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Ranger
By eex_heywood on 11/30/04 15:03 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

98 Ranger XLT x-cab stepside. Love this truck! Never more than an oil change and a brake job into it. Bought it used with 15k on it, and have never regretted buying it. Actually good on gas. We travel in it a lot, without any issues. I'd get another one, if they had a club cab model,but now it's Sport Trac for me. Got kids, and need more room, but can't give up the truck bed.

suprised
By twogood41 on 11/09/04 14:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have enjoyed this truck from day of purchase. The way it rides, drives, looks. Was skeptical of mileage when purchased but it runs like brand new.

Blacksplash
By blacksplash on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Excellent vehicle. No maintenance problems. Beautiful.

A Great Compact Truck
By 4x4RangerGuy on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

This truck is great! 3.0L V6 is incredibly reliable, and powerful enough for all basic tasks. Off Road package really helps when four wheeling. Front grille looks tough, just like a Ford should be. Rear hops around a little bit, could use a little more weight. 4x4 works seamlessly, but is overcomplicated, expensive to repair, and not incredibly strong. Auto tranny is alright, could be beefed up a little, but it keeps the engine in the right RPM range. Mileage is great with the 3.0, and it is an incredibly reliable little engine. Overall, Great truck!!!

A Great Truck
By mx98ranger on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is what I actually have, but Edmunds.com doesn't have it as a choice. lol. Oh well. I have a 98 Ford Ranger XLT, 4Dr Extended Cab, 4.0L V6, Automatic Transmission. 2wd.(i wish it was 4x4). This is a great truck, and if you can get the 4.0L V6 I would DEFINITELY recommend it.This truck is extremely reliable, and I've not had nay MAJOR problems since it was bought. Just regualar Maintenance.

First truck I've owned...and still own.
By Jim N. on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Mine's only a 2WD/4cyl/5speed, but it's taken me thru 4 Colorado winters. Great for light hauling around town and helping friends move. I use 85octane gas and get an average of 25mpg. If I put 87octane, I can usually squeeze out 1-2 more mpg. I'm at about 98k miles now. No major work has been needed. Regular LOF changes, brakes every 30k, tires at 45k and 90k (prolly my fault for the tires). I replaced shocks, fuel filter and had tune-up at 92k miles. Only annoying thing was the cab light would stay on during the summer after the driver's door was shut. Ended up unplugging the cable in the door.

can't complain
By cypress94 on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

What can I say...Definately got my money's worth out of this truck...extremely reliable.

Best truck I've ever owned, $ for $
By abouttime on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It seems lots of folks are looking for a good used truck, for 2nd. vehicle or as primary driver. This Ford Ranger is everything you could ever hope for. Reliable, get in and go, always. 21mpg around town, bed is big enough for most jobs, x cab is great for couple with luggage, etc. 4 cyl/5 speed is strong enough to get a ticket by end of 2nd. gear if you stay in it, floats at 65-70 in 5th.with no effort. Will tow bike trailer with Harley, no problem. Mine has over 100k miles and nothing gone bad except a tail light bulb so far. I can't imagine a better value for the $.

fits my needs
By mark136 on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

interior lights have a mind of thier own. totally unreliable. door ajar light is always on. the buzzer reminding me of it intermittantly sounds off. after a year of ownership new brakes and calipurs.I have also experienced vapor lock a few times. . otherwise great and fun and reliable. I'd get another.purchased may 2002 with 46k on the clock.

bought it used
By shurur on 12/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

had some initial problems with brakes GEM and door latches..bought with 83K miles. 1. needed new drums as the originals had already been turned...fixed. 2. problems with door latches (lube) and GEM module (dome light)..fixed. basically everything the consumer reports metions...brakes and electrical If you want HP, don't consider the 3L OHV engine...buy the 4L SOHC engine up front. 4X4 is barely adequate with the 3L...(my opinion of course)..and no amount of chipping will put a shine on this turd...but 3L is ok if get-up-and- go is not an issue for you. 3L is a dependable engine though..believe me, it is dependable.