1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great small truck
By JC on 08/22/07 21:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Can't say much more than the title. Have owned this truck for about two years now and the one thing that stands out is that it will go just about anywhere. Have taken it up 45 degree hills with no slippage in mud and snow and it tows my 16.5' bass boat as if it was not even there. Have experienced some of the normal, minor problems of this model but all of the info available on the web makes fixing hem a breeze.

Fun little work-a-bout
By truck-guy on 06/09/07 21:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my third Ranger and all were purchased used. I like the Ranger and this one has not dissapointed me. I must say the previous owners took good care of this truck, I got a bargain when I found it. My own loot at it followed by my friendly mechanic's evaluation confirmed that this rig is in top shape. I like the 4.0L V-6, it has plent of power for fairly heavy hauling and medium towing.

Great Truck
By 4x4RangerGuy on 04/12/07 07:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Besides the automatic, my Ranger has been bulletproof. I off-road as a hobby, and this truck has taken me everywhere without ever breaking a thing. The 3.0 V6 is bulletproof, and the 4x4 always works. I replaced the hubs with manual hubs to get rid of the vacuum assist, and it's been great. The truck is comfortable, and it has been on long trips with no complaints. These magazines are bought out by Japanese manufacturers, so they never have anything decent to say about American vehicles. Well, the Ranger disproves it all. A solid, well built and well priced vehicle. I will be buying another Ford Ranger for my next vehicle.

The Best Compact Pickup Out There!
By Jordan on 04/04/07 14:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I really love the Ford Ranger because it goes forever on a tank of gas. I bought this truck used and it was in excellent shape. It is great acceleration with the 5 speed transmission. I would recomened this vehicle to a friend.

I like the gas mileage
By Bigticket42 on 12/15/06 09:43 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I like this truck. I am 6'6" and 250 lbs and I fit in the truck pretty well. I would like to have the size of a full size truck but with gas mileage fluctuating between $2.19 - $3.19 this is the best 4X4 to own. I get an average of 16 - 17 mpg both highway and in town combined. These trucks are reliable. The have there little glitch like door switches especially in mine which is a 4 door. I have the 3.0L V6 with the 5 speed so I think that explains the good gas mileage. I like the looks of the stepside but for practicality the regular bed is much better. It holds my 3 wheeler though.

review of 98 Ranger XLT
By Max on 12/09/06 19:39 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had many years of service from my Ranger and have had no problems with it for the first seven years I owned it. This year however, I have had some small problem and one major repair. My total repair cost for the Ranger is less than $1000 dollars over the past eight years.

Ford Ranger Splash X-cab
By Roger on 01/12/06 19:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Owned this 8 years with few problems, but I've been living with flaky stuff like mirrors adjusting only one way, radio cuts on and off, many mystery things. Good truck to drive, but Splash model has a low tow capacity. Looks good. Paint along door and rain gutter peels, discolors easily. Looking back I'm happy it has lasted this long but not happy with the little things. Hardly used the rear seats but the space in the back is useful. Shakes a bit much "sometimes". Quite mysteriously flaky. Pulls a small 2000lb boat OK.

Last Ford
By Ed on 11/16/05 15:22 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best way to rate this "Fixed Or Repaired Daily" truck is to list the problems: knocking-pinging on hot days going up hills, steering rack assembly (warranty), steering gear ($500), alternator ($250), instrument panel lights ($50), right side HEAD ($1,800), heater diverter valve ($75), leak through third taillight ($75), arm rest (haven't bothered to fix yet) -- all in less than 90,000 miles. Latest problem - potential bad lifter.

great truck
By justin on 10/29/05 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased this truck as a prior salvage that had been repaired. I have abused this truck in every way imaginable and have had no problems other than general maintenance. I put 110000 miles on this truck in two years. Almost all of those miles were highway with the governor holding me back. I have hauled four wheelers, motorcycles, concrete, railroad timbers just anything i can fit in it. Replaced shocks at 130,000 miles, crank sensor at 150,000 miles. Replaced belt tensioner at 176,000 miles. I have rarely changed the oil on time and once went over about 11,000 miles. I have recently had front end end work done. I haven't even changed the plugs or wires and the truck still runs great.

Ranger Supercab
By Joe on 10/03/05 21:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck for back and forth to work, The 4 banger gets great gas mileage and has plenty of power with stick. A little light in the snow, needs sandbags over the wheels or you will slide.