1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Very Nice Little Truck
By Chris on 01/12/08 17:21 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 liter I4 for $2400 for my first truck back in February of 07 and it was a great little truck. I had very little problems with it, I did have to replace the exhaust and the rear leaf spring shackles and mounts. I had dual exhaust put on and it sounded very nice. Not like a Honda or a weedwacker on steriods. For a four cylinder truck it was very quick, and reliable. Never broke down or any engine problems. In the winter all you need for the snow with the 2wd type is good tires and i put four 70 pound sand bags in the bed and it went through anything. I absolutly loved this truck up until the day someone t-boned me and totaled it. Awesome truck overall.

Fun little work-a-bout
By truck-guy on 06/09/07 21:11 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This is my third Ranger and all were purchased used. I like the Ranger and this one has not dissapointed me. I must say the previous owners took good care of this truck, I got a bargain when I found it. My own loot at it followed by my friendly mechanic's evaluation confirmed that this rig is in top shape. I like the 4.0L V-6, it has plent of power for fairly heavy hauling and medium towing.

The Best Compact Pickup Out There!
By Jordan on 04/04/07 14:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I really love the Ford Ranger because it goes forever on a tank of gas. I bought this truck used and it was in excellent shape. It is great acceleration with the 5 speed transmission. I would recomened this vehicle to a friend.

review of 98 Ranger XLT
By Max on 12/09/06 19:39 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had many years of service from my Ranger and have had no problems with it for the first seven years I owned it. This year however, I have had some small problem and one major repair. My total repair cost for the Ranger is less than $1000 dollars over the past eight years.

great truck
By justin on 10/29/05 19:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased this truck as a prior salvage that had been repaired. I have abused this truck in every way imaginable and have had no problems other than general maintenance. I put 110000 miles on this truck in two years. Almost all of those miles were highway with the governor holding me back. I have hauled four wheelers, motorcycles, concrete, railroad timbers just anything i can fit in it. Replaced shocks at 130,000 miles, crank sensor at 150,000 miles. Replaced belt tensioner at 176,000 miles. I have rarely changed the oil on time and once went over about 11,000 miles. I have recently had front end end work done. I haven't even changed the plugs or wires and the truck still runs great.

suprised
By twogood41 on 11/09/04 14:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have enjoyed this truck from day of purchase. The way it rides, drives, looks. Was skeptical of mileage when purchased but it runs like brand new.

can't complain
By cypress94 on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

What can I say...Definately got my money's worth out of this truck...extremely reliable.

fits my needs
By mark136 on 01/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

interior lights have a mind of thier own. totally unreliable. door ajar light is always on. the buzzer reminding me of it intermittantly sounds off. after a year of ownership new brakes and calipurs.I have also experienced vapor lock a few times. . otherwise great and fun and reliable. I'd get another.purchased may 2002 with 46k on the clock.

Great truck !!! Electrical quirks!!??
By tom kleinfeld on 12/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck new in the fall of 1998. I have 150000 thousand miles on it. It has been a good truck. I have had to replace the alternator THREE times and last month had to do the front struts. Not bad for all the miles. The front seat could be a little more comfortable for a bigger guy 6 2". But you can't beat the price and gas milage.

Same as every one elses reviw
By Arnela on 08/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Dome Light Stays On Door ajar Light stays on Check Engine light came on three times in four years ($270 to fix sensor EACH time) Latch on armrest compartment broke at 2 years and 15,000 miles non replacable part, armrest is $$$