1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
One Super Neat truck
By Jim Mac on 01/01/09 19:01 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Have been looking for a Ford Ranger for a present for my wife as she was wanting one. Was very lucky to find a Ranger extended cab step side 4x4 Off Road package for the money and black to boot. She is absolutely thrilled with it and intends to keep it for a long time.

I like it like that
By Cobalt Blue on 09/17/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought the truck in February (2008) from a private seller -- only 65000 miles. It has 16-inch wheels, a 3.73 rear-end, 4 liter V6, and 5-speed manual. I don't drive it all the time, but in driving it back and forth to work it's been getting 22 mpg, average. I've gotten as high as 24 mpg. The drive to work is 20 miles one-way. Part is through town and part is open highway. The AC quit working after operating oddly about a month after I got the truck. I still need to have checked. The truck has good power, but I wouldn't want to tow much with it, because if feels like its geared pretty "tall". I really am satisfied with it. The bed is small, but what do you expect with a short-bed?

Cool little truck but mine gets problems
By Ranger Danger on 09/15/08 01:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

From what everybody says on here, they love their Ranger and theirs is reliable. Mine on the other hand is already on its third clutch and I baby this truck like no other. My idle valve control keeps messing up and i'm on my fifth one already thats starting to fail(revs when I come to a complete stop). My back window leaks when it rains, engine idles rough sometimes, suspension squeaks loudly but its probably normal for it having 140,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner (which was my good neighbor so I saw the truck first day they purchased it.) They babied it as much as I did so I must have gotten a lemon from the factory but it wasn't always like this.

Great Little Truck!
By Olen on 08/18/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am 16 years old and this is my first car! I can not say how pleased I am with this vehicle. Performance: a 3.0 liter V6. Can move the truck but is not an engine you can dog all day long. Comfort: Seats are very comfy and have great lumbar support. Back seat is fit for cargo only but my 8 yr old brother can fit back there. Fuel economy could be better. I get 18 city/22 hwy. Fun to drive, easy to drive. Shocks could be better but it's a truck! What do you expect? Interior design looks alright but I'm going to pimp it out soon! Exterior design looks awesome. Looks way better than S10s. Build quality: built to last...built to love. Reliability: very few problems!

1998 Ranger
By Ron on 05/17/08 08:01 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought this truck new in 1998 and put 150,000 miles on it over the first 5 years. Overall the truck has been quite reliable. The two problem areas have been the interior light staying on and multiple issues with the air conditioning. Other than that the vehicle has never left me stranded. In fact, I have a 4 cylinder/5 speed stick and have never even replaced any part of the drivetrain in cluding the clutch. The truck currently has over 175,000 miles and continues to run like new.

It is a truck, not a car
By bob on 05/06/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

If you want a reasonably decent small truck for hauling stuff around, the Ranger is a good choice. If you want a passenger car, buy one of those instead of a truck. BTW, the 3 liter engine is plenty powerful enough.

1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
By good truck on 04/27/08 17:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Has been a good truck. Have not had any problems engine wise or with the transmisson. Body and paint have held up really well. 3.0 v6 is under powered for the truck.

Great truck for price
By superswitchks on 02/03/08 22:35 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 2.5L motor provides great gas mileage and a decent amount of power when you need it. If you keep your right foot out of the firewall you can easily achieve 25+ mpg on the highway. However if you plan on using all 120hp plan on getting less than 17 in the city. But the handling of the truck is good for a truck; you can sling the rear around if needed, or stick the front for some decent corning out of a truck.

Good old reliable truck
By AZSoonerfan on 01/19/08 13:50 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owed this truck for 8 years now. I have not had any major issues with the truck. My only issues with the truck are that the interior light will sometimes say on after the driver door is closed and the brakes are a little weak. Other than that, the truck has been great. I would recommend the truck to any of my friends.

Very Nice Little Truck
By Chris on 01/12/08 17:21 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 liter I4 for $2400 for my first truck back in February of 07 and it was a great little truck. I had very little problems with it, I did have to replace the exhaust and the rear leaf spring shackles and mounts. I had dual exhaust put on and it sounded very nice. Not like a Honda or a weedwacker on steriods. For a four cylinder truck it was very quick, and reliable. Never broke down or any engine problems. In the winter all you need for the snow with the 2wd type is good tires and i put four 70 pound sand bags in the bed and it went through anything. I absolutly loved this truck up until the day someone t-boned me and totaled it. Awesome truck overall.