Used 1998 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

Favorite Features

The Engine is the Best! 2.5 (4) cylinder with 8 spark plugs.

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

Favorite Features

Reliability, durability of materials and components, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

a little more power would be nice; less bouncy ride; quieter steering pump and rack

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

The damn thing works great. Only 1 problem besides normal wear & tear. This is a very reliable small truck.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more comfortable to ride in on long trips. I had to change a flat on it once and had a hell of a time getting the jack set up and lifting the truck off the ground. It has to have the worst jacking system I have ever seen.

Cool little truck but mine gets problems
By Ranger Danger

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

From what everybody says on here, they love their Ranger and theirs is reliable. Mine on the other hand is already on its third clutch and I baby this truck like no other. My idle valve control keeps messing up and i'm on my fifth one already thats starting to fail(revs when I come to a complete stop). My back window leaks when it rains, engine idles rough sometimes, suspension squeaks loudly but its probably normal for it having 140,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner (which was my good neighbor so I saw the truck first day they purchased it.) They babied it as much as I did so I must have gotten a lemon from the factory but it wasn't always like this.

Favorite Features

Besides the problems, I loved this truck when I first got it as none of the problems existed. I like how this truck is very easy to work on except for the two back spark plugs you can't get to due to the intake being in the way. Also it's my tent when I go camping, I sleep inside with windows down

Suggested Improvements

I think just mine needs improvements as I heard other owners quite satisfied with theirs. My light too also stays on when the passenger side door opens but I just pull the fuse out when it does. Also they need to seal the back windshield better.

Great truck for price
By superswitchks

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 2.5L motor provides great gas mileage and a decent amount of power when you need it. If you keep your right foot out of the firewall you can easily achieve 25+ mpg on the highway. However if you plan on using all 120hp plan on getting less than 17 in the city. But the handling of the truck is good for a truck; you can sling the rear around if needed, or stick the front for some decent corning out of a truck.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the comfortable interior and I am 6ft tall. Also I am a fan of the driver feedback I get out out of the truck. I am a fairly accomplished driver and the amount of feel you get out of the wheel and body roll allow a knowledgable driver to wheel the Ranger like they stole it

Suggested Improvements

I would, as any race inspired driver would, love a more powerful 4 cylinder engine. A slightly stiffer suspension might make the truck handle better. A smoother shifting tranny or one than took abuse better would also be preffered. Don't get me wrong my Ranger sees more than its fair share of abuse.