Used 1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

1998 Ranger XLT
By andrejp

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is my 6th vehicle. I owned a Ranger a few years back and had to sell it because i moved to Hawaii. When i moved back i made a dumb mistake and bought a new Hyundai only to crash it less then a year after i purchased it. Soooo i knew its time to go back to the one true truck that i know will last forever. Rangers are built to last and theyre built TOUGH. I bought this one for $3500 with 133k miles on it and i know itll last me for atleast another 160k miles easy. I will never own another vehicle. You cant go wrong with a Ford.

Its a Ford

None

Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

The Engine is the Best! 2.5 (4) cylinder with 8 spark plugs.

It's aight
By Andrew

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Ranger from my Uncle who kept it in top shape. I have had it a little over a year now and it has 71,000 miles on it. My biggest complaint has to be the traction, this thing spins on spit. Mechanically the only issue's that I am having is the idle air control needed to be replaced $90.00, easy do it yourself though. My a/c pump engages all the time, even when the a/c and defrosters aren't on. Don't know what that issue is, never bothered me enough to have it checked out.

it's kinda plain, nothing too special.

Better fuel economy.

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

Reliability, durability of materials and components, gas mileage

a little more power would be nice; less bouncy ride; quieter steering pump and rack

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45

1998 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

The damn thing works great. Only 1 problem besides normal wear & tear. This is a very reliable small truck.

Make it more comfortable to ride in on long trips. I had to change a flat on it once and had a hell of a time getting the jack set up and lifting the truck off the ground. It has to have the worst jacking system I have ever seen.