1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
12 years old and going strong
By Ian on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

Last Ford
By Ed on 11/16/05 15:22 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best way to rate this "Fixed Or Repaired Daily" truck is to list the problems: knocking-pinging on hot days going up hills, steering rack assembly (warranty), steering gear ($500), alternator ($250), instrument panel lights ($50), right side HEAD ($1,800), heater diverter valve ($75), leak through third taillight ($75), arm rest (haven't bothered to fix yet) -- all in less than 90,000 miles. Latest problem - potential bad lifter.

Ranger Supercab
By Joe on 10/03/05 21:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck for back and forth to work, The 4 banger gets great gas mileage and has plenty of power with stick. A little light in the snow, needs sandbags over the wheels or you will slide.

A Great Truck
By mx98ranger on 10/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is what I actually have, but Edmunds.com doesn't have it as a choice. lol. Oh well. I have a 98 Ford Ranger XLT, 4Dr Extended Cab, 4.0L V6, Automatic Transmission. 2wd.(i wish it was 4x4). This is a great truck, and if you can get the 4.0L V6 I would DEFINITELY recommend it.This truck is extremely reliable, and I've not had nay MAJOR problems since it was bought. Just regualar Maintenance.

First truck I've owned...and still own.
By Jim N. on 07/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Mine's only a 2WD/4cyl/5speed, but it's taken me thru 4 Colorado winters. Great for light hauling around town and helping friends move. I use 85octane gas and get an average of 25mpg. If I put 87octane, I can usually squeeze out 1-2 more mpg. I'm at about 98k miles now. No major work has been needed. Regular LOF changes, brakes every 30k, tires at 45k and 90k (prolly my fault for the tires). I replaced shocks, fuel filter and had tune-up at 92k miles. Only annoying thing was the cab light would stay on during the summer after the driver's door was shut. Ended up unplugging the cable in the door.

Best truck I've ever owned, $ for $
By abouttime on 01/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It seems lots of folks are looking for a good used truck, for 2nd. vehicle or as primary driver. This Ford Ranger is everything you could ever hope for. Reliable, get in and go, always. 21mpg around town, bed is big enough for most jobs, x cab is great for couple with luggage, etc. 4 cyl/5 speed is strong enough to get a ticket by end of 2nd. gear if you stay in it, floats at 65-70 in 5th.with no effort. Will tow bike trailer with Harley, no problem. Mine has over 100k miles and nothing gone bad except a tail light bulb so far. I can't imagine a better value for the $.

Ol' Faithful
By mjordahl on 01/16/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I pick the Ranger based on it's price, value and it's rating in Consumer Reports. It has really been a very dependable truck I would recommend it to anyone.

Love the Ranger
By Jwish on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is my first truck and it drives better than any car i have ever had.

112k '98 Ranger xlt extended cab 2x4
By wap on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

After purchase dealer service fair to poor. 112,700 miles. 4 cyl., 5 spd. LOF every 3k to 3.5k. Brakes at 55k and 102k. Timing belt at 88k. major tune up at 95k. Turnsignal switch at 112k. 23 to 25 mpg. Always minor elect'l malfunctions since day 1. Esp. interior & instrument lights.