Used 1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

yeah I got one
By fordward

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

well actually mine is XLT RWD Automatic. I have 162,500 miles on a 1998. Had ball joints put on, 2 thermostats, 3 sepentine belts, distributor synchronizer, 3 sets of plugs and wires, air throttle control valve, , it,s been in two wrecks, replaced 3 windshields, replaced front rotors, rear drums, AC leaks tried to repair, have to recharge Freon every two years, 4 sets or tires, 3 batteries, ReplacedFuel pump(in gas tank), replaced Catalytic Converter,I average about $1000 a year in repairs on the truck. But it's still going strong after 15 years. (knock on wood) Paid $18000(new) for it in 1998. But it's worth about $30000 to me ha ha.

not the mpg! only 15-18mpg

Ford, they stopped making them in 2010

12 years old and going strong
By Ian

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

Reliability, decent mileage and longevity.

Even better mileage would be great. My transmission sometimes sticks between gears, but if I take my foot off the gas for a second, it jumps back into place.

It's a Ford...
By Colin

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Well this was my second Ranger and this one was a total piece of junk. Replaced an alternator, ball joints, A/C compressor kicks off and on every 20 seconds. Door Ajar light comes on at least every other time i drive it.Freeze plugs have rusted out, leaks oil, 15mpg for a V6?!?!? Really? The stock radio is bad.

The sound system in it, oh wait i put that in there.The looks.

Better gas mileage, more power, fix electric issues.

Problematic
By Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After reading the reviews on this site, I realized that my Ranger has had just about every problem in the book. It now has 145,000 miles and a list of parts I replaced in the few years I've owned it, including fuel pump, spark plugs and coil, cam sensor, 2 alternators, and more that I can't even remember. It takes a quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is tolerable. Never had any clutch problems. Power windows work sometimes, interior light stays on when doors are closed, and "Door Ajar" light will stay on for a while. A/C pump starts randomly and squeaks. Ball joints go bad a lot. Noisiest power steering pump I've ever heard, even after replacing it with a new one. Power could be better.

Factory CD/Keyless entry/Theft alarm/Cruise Control/Power Windows/Power Mirrors, handles good for a truck, great brakes, 5-speed tranny, shiny paint even after 145000 miles, good 4-wheel drive

Uses too much gas for an engine that doesn't have that much power and for a truck of its size. Was terrible in the snow in 2WD until I installed a used limited-slip differential, made a HUGE improvement, 2-door extended cab makes it impossible to get a person into the back seats or anything else

average
By D man

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 98 ranger in 2000 with 42000 miles now I have 150000 on it. It has worked great even though i put it through h***. Not much to complain about expect the 4x4. For the past 4 years I have had to put new 4 wheel drive hubs in. Not a cheap fix. Wish it had a more reliable 4x4 system. Overall a nice truck

The ability to haul just about everything I need to haul. Has a pretty good payload

A new 4x4 system would be nice. Maybe something with manual locking hubs.