1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
yeah I got one
By fordward on 05/12/13 17:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

well actually mine is XLT RWD Automatic. I have 162,500 miles on a 1998. Had ball joints put on, 2 thermostats, 3 sepentine belts, distributor synchronizer, 3 sets of plugs and wires, air throttle control valve, , it,s been in two wrecks, replaced 3 windshields, replaced front rotors, rear drums, AC leaks tried to repair, have to recharge Freon every two years, 4 sets or tires, 3 batteries, ReplacedFuel pump(in gas tank), replaced Catalytic Converter,I average about $1000 a year in repairs on the truck. But it's still going strong after 15 years. (knock on wood) Paid $18000(new) for it in 1998. But it's worth about $30000 to me ha ha.

12 years old and going strong
By Ian on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

It's a Ford...
By Colin on 04/22/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Well this was my second Ranger and this one was a total piece of junk. Replaced an alternator, ball joints, A/C compressor kicks off and on every 20 seconds. Door Ajar light comes on at least every other time i drive it.Freeze plugs have rusted out, leaks oil, 15mpg for a V6?!?!? Really? The stock radio is bad.

Problematic
By Ranger on 02/10/10 10:27 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After reading the reviews on this site, I realized that my Ranger has had just about every problem in the book. It now has 145,000 miles and a list of parts I replaced in the few years I've owned it, including fuel pump, spark plugs and coil, cam sensor, 2 alternators, and more that I can't even remember. It takes a quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is tolerable. Never had any clutch problems. Power windows work sometimes, interior light stays on when doors are closed, and "Door Ajar" light will stay on for a while. A/C pump starts randomly and squeaks. Ball joints go bad a lot. Noisiest power steering pump I've ever heard, even after replacing it with a new one. Power could be better.

average
By D man on 09/04/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 98 ranger in 2000 with 42000 miles now I have 150000 on it. It has worked great even though i put it through h***. Not much to complain about expect the 4x4. For the past 4 years I have had to put new 4 wheel drive hubs in. Not a cheap fix. Wish it had a more reliable 4x4 system. Overall a nice truck

One Super Neat truck
By Jim Mac on 01/01/09 19:01 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Have been looking for a Ford Ranger for a present for my wife as she was wanting one. Was very lucky to find a Ranger extended cab step side 4x4 Off Road package for the money and black to boot. She is absolutely thrilled with it and intends to keep it for a long time.

I like it like that
By Cobalt Blue on 09/17/08 19:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I bought the truck in February (2008) from a private seller -- only 65000 miles. It has 16-inch wheels, a 3.73 rear-end, 4 liter V6, and 5-speed manual. I don't drive it all the time, but in driving it back and forth to work it's been getting 22 mpg, average. I've gotten as high as 24 mpg. The drive to work is 20 miles one-way. Part is through town and part is open highway. The AC quit working after operating oddly about a month after I got the truck. I still need to have checked. The truck has good power, but I wouldn't want to tow much with it, because if feels like its geared pretty "tall". I really am satisfied with it. The bed is small, but what do you expect with a short-bed?

Great Little Truck!
By Olen on 08/18/08 12:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I am 16 years old and this is my first car! I can not say how pleased I am with this vehicle. Performance: a 3.0 liter V6. Can move the truck but is not an engine you can dog all day long. Comfort: Seats are very comfy and have great lumbar support. Back seat is fit for cargo only but my 8 yr old brother can fit back there. Fuel economy could be better. I get 18 city/22 hwy. Fun to drive, easy to drive. Shocks could be better but it's a truck! What do you expect? Interior design looks alright but I'm going to pimp it out soon! Exterior design looks awesome. Looks way better than S10s. Build quality: built to last...built to love. Reliability: very few problems!

1998 Ford Ranger 4x4
By good truck on 04/27/08 17:42 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Has been a good truck. Have not had any problems engine wise or with the transmisson. Body and paint have held up really well. 3.0 v6 is under powered for the truck.

Great small truck
By JC on 08/22/07 21:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Can't say much more than the title. Have owned this truck for about two years now and the one thing that stands out is that it will go just about anywhere. Have taken it up 45 degree hills with no slippage in mud and snow and it tows my 16.5' bass boat as if it was not even there. Have experienced some of the normal, minor problems of this model but all of the info available on the web makes fixing hem a breeze.

1 2 3 4 5 next »