Used 1998 Ford Ranger XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

12 years old and going strong
By Ian

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

Favorite Features

Reliability, decent mileage and longevity.

Suggested Improvements

Even better mileage would be great. My transmission sometimes sticks between gears, but if I take my foot off the gas for a second, it jumps back into place.

Last Ford
By Ed

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Best way to rate this "Fixed Or Repaired Daily" truck is to list the problems: knocking-pinging on hot days going up hills, steering rack assembly (warranty), steering gear ($500), alternator ($250), instrument panel lights ($50), right side HEAD ($1,800), heater diverter valve ($75), leak through third taillight ($75), arm rest (haven't bothered to fix yet) -- all in less than 90,000 miles. Latest problem - potential bad lifter.

Favorite Features

This truck has been reliable regarding starting and running for the most part. Fuel economy for a V6 4.0 has been OK (20 mpg highway). My favorite feature is the Line-X liner that was installed aftermarket.

Ranger Supercab
By Joe

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck for back and forth to work, The 4 banger gets great gas mileage and has plenty of power with stick. A little light in the snow, needs sandbags over the wheels or you will slide.

Favorite Features

Radio and cruise.

A Great Truck
By mx98ranger

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is what I actually have, but Edmunds.com doesn't have it as a choice. lol. Oh well. I have a 98 Ford Ranger XLT, 4Dr Extended Cab, 4.0L V6, Automatic Transmission. 2wd.(i wish it was 4x4). This is a great truck, and if you can get the 4.0L V6 I would DEFINITELY recommend it.This truck is extremely reliable, and I've not had nay MAJOR problems since it was bought. Just regualar Maintenance.

Favorite Features

The engine. The exterior design. FORD TOUGH!

Suggested Improvements

4 Wheel Drive. Dual Exhaust, or something to get some better gas mileage. This truck the same gas mileage as the new F-150 V8's!

First truck I've owned...and still own.
By Jim N.

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great truck. Mine's only a 2WD/4cyl/5speed, but it's taken me thru 4 Colorado winters. Great for light hauling around town and helping friends move. I use 85octane gas and get an average of 25mpg. If I put 87octane, I can usually squeeze out 1-2 more mpg. I'm at about 98k miles now. No major work has been needed. Regular LOF changes, brakes every 30k, tires at 45k and 90k (prolly my fault for the tires). I replaced shocks, fuel filter and had tune-up at 92k miles. Only annoying thing was the cab light would stay on during the summer after the driver's door was shut. Ended up unplugging the cable in the door.

Favorite Features

The fact that it's taken me to hell and back and still runs! :-)

Suggested Improvements

I haven't heard lately, but the cab light issue was a problem (or so I read) that Ford refused to recognize. It's a common rant on Ranger messages boards. I don't know if the problem exists in newer models, but it is really annoying in my truck...which is why I just unplugged it.