1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire on 02/06/13 16:19 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers on 12/10/09 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45 on 07/21/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

Cool little truck but mine gets problems
By Ranger Danger on 09/15/08 01:18 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

From what everybody says on here, they love their Ranger and theirs is reliable. Mine on the other hand is already on its third clutch and I baby this truck like no other. My idle valve control keeps messing up and i'm on my fifth one already thats starting to fail(revs when I come to a complete stop). My back window leaks when it rains, engine idles rough sometimes, suspension squeaks loudly but its probably normal for it having 140,000 miles. I'm the second owner and the previous owner (which was my good neighbor so I saw the truck first day they purchased it.) They babied it as much as I did so I must have gotten a lemon from the factory but it wasn't always like this.

Great truck for price
By superswitchks on 02/03/08 22:35 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 2.5L motor provides great gas mileage and a decent amount of power when you need it. If you keep your right foot out of the firewall you can easily achieve 25+ mpg on the highway. However if you plan on using all 120hp plan on getting less than 17 in the city. But the handling of the truck is good for a truck; you can sling the rear around if needed, or stick the front for some decent corning out of a truck.

Good old reliable truck
By AZSoonerfan on 01/19/08 13:50 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have owed this truck for 8 years now. I have not had any major issues with the truck. My only issues with the truck are that the interior light will sometimes say on after the driver door is closed and the brakes are a little weak. Other than that, the truck has been great. I would recommend the truck to any of my friends.

Very Nice Little Truck
By Chris on 01/12/08 17:21 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought a 1998 Ford Ranger 2.5 liter I4 for $2400 for my first truck back in February of 07 and it was a great little truck. I had very little problems with it, I did have to replace the exhaust and the rear leaf spring shackles and mounts. I had dual exhaust put on and it sounded very nice. Not like a Honda or a weedwacker on steriods. For a four cylinder truck it was very quick, and reliable. Never broke down or any engine problems. In the winter all you need for the snow with the 2wd type is good tires and i put four 70 pound sand bags in the bed and it went through anything. I absolutly loved this truck up until the day someone t-boned me and totaled it. Awesome truck overall.

review of 98 Ranger XLT
By Max on 12/09/06 19:39 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had many years of service from my Ranger and have had no problems with it for the first seven years I owned it. This year however, I have had some small problem and one major repair. My total repair cost for the Ranger is less than $1000 dollars over the past eight years.

suprised
By twogood41 on 11/09/04 14:25 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have enjoyed this truck from day of purchase. The way it rides, drives, looks. Was skeptical of mileage when purchased but it runs like brand new.

can't complain
By cypress94 on 05/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

What can I say...Definately got my money's worth out of this truck...extremely reliable.