Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

1998 Ranger XLT
By andrejp

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

This is my 6th vehicle. I owned a Ranger a few years back and had to sell it because i moved to Hawaii. When i moved back i made a dumb mistake and bought a new Hyundai only to crash it less then a year after i purchased it. Soooo i knew its time to go back to the one true truck that i know will last forever. Rangers are built to last and theyre built TOUGH. I bought this one for $3500 with 133k miles on it and i know itll last me for atleast another 160k miles easy. I will never own another vehicle. You cant go wrong with a Ford.

Favorite Features

Its a Ford

Suggested Improvements

None

yeah I got one
By fordward

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

well actually mine is XLT RWD Automatic. I have 162,500 miles on a 1998. Had ball joints put on, 2 thermostats, 3 sepentine belts, distributor synchronizer, 3 sets of plugs and wires, air throttle control valve, , it,s been in two wrecks, replaced 3 windshields, replaced front rotors, rear drums, AC leaks tried to repair, have to recharge Freon every two years, 4 sets or tires, 3 batteries, ReplacedFuel pump(in gas tank), replaced Catalytic Converter,I average about $1000 a year in repairs on the truck. But it's still going strong after 15 years. (knock on wood) Paid $18000(new) for it in 1998. But it's worth about $30000 to me ha ha.

Favorite Features

not the mpg! only 15-18mpg

Suggested Improvements

Ford, they stopped making them in 2010

Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

Favorite Features

The Engine is the Best! 2.5 (4) cylinder with 8 spark plugs.

12 years old and going strong
By Ian

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

Favorite Features

Reliability, decent mileage and longevity.

Suggested Improvements

Even better mileage would be great. My transmission sometimes sticks between gears, but if I take my foot off the gas for a second, it jumps back into place.

It's a Ford...
By Colin

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Well this was my second Ranger and this one was a total piece of junk. Replaced an alternator, ball joints, A/C compressor kicks off and on every 20 seconds. Door Ajar light comes on at least every other time i drive it.Freeze plugs have rusted out, leaks oil, 15mpg for a V6?!?!? Really? The stock radio is bad.

Favorite Features

The sound system in it, oh wait i put that in there.The looks.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, more power, fix electric issues.