Used 1998 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1998 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

Favorite Features

The Engine is the Best! 2.5 (4) cylinder with 8 spark plugs.

yeah I got one
By fordward

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

well actually mine is XLT RWD Automatic. I have 162,500 miles on a 1998. Had ball joints put on, 2 thermostats, 3 sepentine belts, distributor synchronizer, 3 sets of plugs and wires, air throttle control valve, , it,s been in two wrecks, replaced 3 windshields, replaced front rotors, rear drums, AC leaks tried to repair, have to recharge Freon every two years, 4 sets or tires, 3 batteries, ReplacedFuel pump(in gas tank), replaced Catalytic Converter,I average about $1000 a year in repairs on the truck. But it's still going strong after 15 years. (knock on wood) Paid $18000(new) for it in 1998. But it's worth about $30000 to me ha ha.

Favorite Features

not the mpg! only 15-18mpg

Suggested Improvements

Ford, they stopped making them in 2010

12 years old and going strong
By Ian

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

Favorite Features

Reliability, decent mileage and longevity.

Suggested Improvements

Even better mileage would be great. My transmission sometimes sticks between gears, but if I take my foot off the gas for a second, it jumps back into place.

average
By D man

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 98 ranger in 2000 with 42000 miles now I have 150000 on it. It has worked great even though i put it through h***. Not much to complain about expect the 4x4. For the past 4 years I have had to put new 4 wheel drive hubs in. Not a cheap fix. Wish it had a more reliable 4x4 system. Overall a nice truck

Favorite Features

The ability to haul just about everything I need to haul. Has a pretty good payload

Suggested Improvements

A new 4x4 system would be nice. Maybe something with manual locking hubs.

Problematic
By Ranger

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After reading the reviews on this site, I realized that my Ranger has had just about every problem in the book. It now has 145,000 miles and a list of parts I replaced in the few years I've owned it, including fuel pump, spark plugs and coil, cam sensor, 2 alternators, and more that I can't even remember. It takes a quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is tolerable. Never had any clutch problems. Power windows work sometimes, interior light stays on when doors are closed, and "Door Ajar" light will stay on for a while. A/C pump starts randomly and squeaks. Ball joints go bad a lot. Noisiest power steering pump I've ever heard, even after replacing it with a new one. Power could be better.

Favorite Features

Factory CD/Keyless entry/Theft alarm/Cruise Control/Power Windows/Power Mirrors, handles good for a truck, great brakes, 5-speed tranny, shiny paint even after 145000 miles, good 4-wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Uses too much gas for an engine that doesn't have that much power and for a truck of its size. Was terrible in the snow in 2WD until I installed a used limited-slip differential, made a HUGE improvement, 2-door extended cab makes it impossible to get a person into the back seats or anything else