1998 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
yeah I got one
By fordward on 05/12/13 17:39 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

well actually mine is XLT RWD Automatic. I have 162,500 miles on a 1998. Had ball joints put on, 2 thermostats, 3 sepentine belts, distributor synchronizer, 3 sets of plugs and wires, air throttle control valve, , it,s been in two wrecks, replaced 3 windshields, replaced front rotors, rear drums, AC leaks tried to repair, have to recharge Freon every two years, 4 sets or tires, 3 batteries, ReplacedFuel pump(in gas tank), replaced Catalytic Converter,I average about $1000 a year in repairs on the truck. But it's still going strong after 15 years. (knock on wood) Paid $18000(new) for it in 1998. But it's worth about $30000 to me ha ha.

Best Truck Ford Produced!
By nbrookshire on 02/06/13 16:19 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck Brand New in 1998 with 3 miles on the truck. I have wrecked the truck 12 times, flipped it twice and it has over 600k miles on it and still runs strong. I have repaired the truck each time it has been wrecked. When Ford says Built TOUGH they mean it. My little ranger is Built Tough. I have an extra engine in my basement if ever needed. I would not trade , sell, or EVEN GIVE away my little ranger. I LOVE my little truck. This little truck gets GREAT gas mileage as well. The only mechanical issue I have had is replacing the Clutch. I go through clutches quickly. But overall Best truck Ford Made!!!

12 years old and going strong
By Ian on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my '98 Ranger XLT used in 2002 with 55,000 miles on it at the time. Eight years late and 100,000 miles later, I have had very few problems. I've had to replace some belts and tend to general wear and tear issues, but nothing catastrophic. I average about 19.5 miles per gallon with 80% freeway driving. I always tell people I've had great luck with my ford, but then I knock on wood for good luck. *knock knock*

It's a Ford...
By Colin on 04/22/10 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Well this was my second Ranger and this one was a total piece of junk. Replaced an alternator, ball joints, A/C compressor kicks off and on every 20 seconds. Door Ajar light comes on at least every other time i drive it.Freeze plugs have rusted out, leaks oil, 15mpg for a V6?!?!? Really? The stock radio is bad.

Problematic
By Ranger on 02/10/10 10:27 AM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

After reading the reviews on this site, I realized that my Ranger has had just about every problem in the book. It now has 145,000 miles and a list of parts I replaced in the few years I've owned it, including fuel pump, spark plugs and coil, cam sensor, 2 alternators, and more that I can't even remember. It takes a quart of oil every 1000 miles, which is tolerable. Never had any clutch problems. Power windows work sometimes, interior light stays on when doors are closed, and "Door Ajar" light will stay on for a while. A/C pump starts randomly and squeaks. Ball joints go bad a lot. Noisiest power steering pump I've ever heard, even after replacing it with a new one. Power could be better.

It's aight
By Andrew on 12/23/09 15:58 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I bought my Ranger from my Uncle who kept it in top shape. I have had it a little over a year now and it has 71,000 miles on it. My biggest complaint has to be the traction, this thing spins on spit. Mechanically the only issue's that I am having is the idle air control needed to be replaced $90.00, easy do it yourself though. My a/c pump engages all the time, even when the a/c and defrosters aren't on. Don't know what that issue is, never bothered me enough to have it checked out.

98 Ranger XLT 2.5L 5 spd
By M.E. Meyers on 12/10/09 14:49 PM (PST)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought truck new in 1998 for $10k. It has been - by far- the best vehicle I have ever owned. Extremely reliable. Power is adequate with the 5spd manual and fuel economy is never below 23 mpg and can be 28 with care. Light rear end means no traction in wet/snow. But it does great donuts in the snow!! A/C still blows cold after 11 years and my original clutch still feels fine with 180k miles. Considering what I paid, I cannot ask for anything more. Great little truck. Last of the "light weights" Its peers have grown to be bloated and thirsty - hope that does not happen to the next-gen Ranger, but it probably will

average
By D man on 09/04/09 21:01 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought my 98 ranger in 2000 with 42000 miles now I have 150000 on it. It has worked great even though i put it through h***. Not much to complain about expect the 4x4. For the past 4 years I have had to put new 4 wheel drive hubs in. Not a cheap fix. Wish it had a more reliable 4x4 system. Overall a nice truck

11 Years & Still Going Great
By decajun45 on 07/21/09 20:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck used when it was about 6 months old. I got to say I really like it. While not the most comfortable or most stylish vehicle, the thing works great. I have over 135,000 miles on it and have not had a single problem besides normal wear & tear and 1 leak in the roof started last year (which I still haven't fixed - lazy me). The power is decent. I have no problem getting up to 65 mph when I get on the highway. It's not very comfortable to ride in on long trips, but hey it's a small pick up, not a Mercedes.

great truck
By midwest ranger on 07/02/09 10:05 AM (PDT)

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is a great truck! I've had this truck for 11 years. I've moved myself and family members ( mother, brother, daughter, etc.) 15 xs. That 3.0L engine has never let me down. And I average 22 mpg with an auto tranny and 3.45 axle.