Keeps on rolling
By BlackStackin' on
1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB
I had my Ranger for 5 1/2 years. Only minor problems such as egr sensors, vacuum lines, and replacing the hubs. Have 112000 miles on and for the most part the truck is reliable. I squeeze out any where from 18 to 20 mpg on consistent basis. My only complaints about it are: rides like a lumber truck, engine is breathless at highway speed, seats are terribly uncomfortable, autolocking hubs are a joke-replaced mine with manuals, and the brakes are really grabby when there is a lot of moisture in the air. The paint has stood up to time and use very well and overall I think the Ranger is a entry level vehicle for young buyers who are looking for a reliable vehicle.
Favorite Features
Nothing real particular except the light up cruise buttons and I like the dash layout. The HVAC system is awesome! A/C freezes you out, which I like.
Suggested Improvements
Ranger needs to be a little bigger and with more power. Ford needs to completly redesign, re-engineer the Ranger. Nothing has really changed between '97 and '04 except for minor body work, powerplant, interior, and suspension upgrades.