Great Truck all around
By vand on
1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB
I bought this truck in 2001 with 60K on it. It was an excellent, excellent truck. I replaced the alternator around 100K and did normal maintenence on it other than that. It started up every time, fun to drive (although the rear-wheel drive could be a little tricky if the roads were slick), used and abused it. The light bulbs behind the display went out slowly over the years--no big deal. I loaded all kinds of things in this truck over the years. It got great gas mileage. I had owned it for 10 years and put 90K on it when I was rear-ended and the truck was totalled. It could have been a much more serious accident, but the solid construction of this little truck saved me.
Favorite Features
It was a simple, bare-bones truck. No power anything! It was great though. Nothing to break. After bringing a lot of mud onto the rubber floor a few times, I actually hosed out the interior floor. Like I said, other than scheduled maintenence and a new alternator, it never needed anything.
Suggested Improvements
I wished it had a cup holder more than once. I also wished for power-steering when I was trying to park in a tight space.