1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Review: A Ranger named Pokey

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Review

XLT Regular Cab Pickup (2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

A Ranger named Pokey
By specialtychem on

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I had a bad problem with the heater blend door when I first purchased my Ranger, but I engineered a repair for it that saved me close to $600 over the dealer charge. That is the good thing about the Ranger: it is fairly easy for a competent shade tree mechanic to work on. The basic vehicle is fairly bullet- proof and simple. The gas mileage is only so-so considering the extremely low level of performance. You time this Ranger with a calendar, not a stopwatch! Other than the lack of power, I have really enjoyed my little Ranger. My son will begin to drive soon and it will make an ideal starter vehicle for him.

The driver ergonomics are very good. All controls are within easy reach and are fairly intuitive. The ride is very supple and well damped considering the short wheelbase of the vehicle. The handling and brakes are more than acceptable for this class.

The seats on these Rangers are not very comfortable and have what feels like a bar that hits at the base of your spine. Seats like those found in the Ford Contour would have been a good choice for this vehicle.