1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
No Worries
By EricL on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had more Ford Ranger since mile 7 and it has been a trusty member of the family. It is the only car I own and I drive on average a hundred miles a day as a single working parent and rarely have to worry about "shiny" (as my daughter has named it).

Rockin' Ranger
By mrs. hall on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a fun truck! Only been in the shop twice in it's 60K miles (defective thermostat). With good care I expect at least 140K out of this truck. Interior design is very functional, controls easy to reach, seating very comfy. Definately has typical truck- like suspension ( you feel every bump! ) but it's a small price to pay for a great truck!

Hard to Part w/ A Wonderful Truck
By StanFurlow on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

One owner;Good Ride (use 70lb sand bag in bed/3 for snow=4WD);Once you find a good seat position it's OK (heated/vibrating seat cushion-long rides);70,000K miles;Great paint-willow green (has purple metallic in it);front of stepside catches rocks/sand;Use rubber bedliner and leave long on all sides + tailgate rubber;Have removable kayak/lumber carrier on bed sides- doesn't allow cap/locking top;Bit notchey in shift;Very, very few minor probs;Dome light fixed w/switch;Regular oil changes;4cyl but wish for V6 at times;Only on 2nd set of tires;A/C bogs down engine however w/o A/C is worse;

Excellent Small P/U
By Jordan Murphy on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Excellent small Pickup. No problems in 1.5 years--bought used. Poor fuel economy w/4.0L V6 (14/15 MPG). However, great in snow, and sporty.

A great vehicle!
By mrbower on 08/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have owned many vehicles, including ultra-luxury models, and this is the most reliable, most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. I purchased it from the dealer with 15000 miles on it and the only problem it has ever had was the adjustment switch for the driver side o/s mirror failed and was replaced under warranty. The 4.0 engine has enough power for any situation and gets reasonable economy for its size. Handling is superb. My next vehicle will probably be a Ford SUV, as I will be needing a little more room.

Great and Horrible
By Lee Diane on 06/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Good ride. starts every time. steering good. interior nice. handles well. now for the bad stuff. Have had nothing but problems with 4 wheel drive. tough to get it to shift out of 4 wheel -since it was new! 5 trips to dealership were fruitless. tranny hangs up sometimes between gears. learned to live with it at 60,000. electrical problem solved at 30,000.

Great Truck
By evill on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This has been an outstanding vehicle. We have put over 80,000 miles on it with absolutely no problems. The V6 engine is quite adequate for fast acceleration and for hauling large loads/trailers. The best selling small pick-up for a good reason.

My review
By ljscmm on 06/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle is one of the worst I've ever had. I had to get a complete tune up at 45,000 miles. I will never own another Ford. I also had to replace the mechanism that keeps the seat from falling back.

Maintenance/Repair Nitemare
By Douglas P. Smith on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Major mechanical problems after 70,000 miles. Over $2,044.08 spent on four repair occasions since 2-08-02 (I have receipts). Just had clutch assembly and slave cylinder replaced at 77,012 miles mostly highway miles). U-Joints, Ball Joints, and injectors thermostat and sensors have been replaced. I will never purchase any vehicle maufactured by this company again. I intend to make known to my friends, family and associates the problems I have experienced with this vehicle in order that they not make the same mistake I did. Obviously, Ford trucks aren't built tough.

expect problems
By brandonm on 05/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

the ranger is an attractive pick-up that means well, it just had horrible engineers. i've only put on 20,000 miles on mine in the last 3 years (52,000-72,000) and can't believe the problems i've had. i've been stranded, oil changes bring a list of things that need to be fixed, and new electrical problems almost regularly. fuel-pump died on a road-trip leaving my wife and me stranded. after returning home the check engine light came on again and the canister also had to be replaced. not cheap. had to replace all ball- joints, another $700. this shouldn't be happening on a truck with 70,000 miles on it. i'll never buy a ford again because of my experience with this truck.