1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
WORST TRUCK EVER
By Mrp on 03/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the worst truck I've ever owned. Bought a used 1996 XL in 1998. I have had many problems ever since. Many electrical problems. I have been stranded roadside twice. Do not buy one

love my truck
By mac_712 on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I was told before buying that it was under powered. But I have found the 4.0L engine to have plenty of power. The seats are very comfortable.Gas mileage could be a bit better but I don't baby my vehicles either. This is my first 4x4 and I will never do without 4wd again. The only repairs I have had in the 2 years I have owned this truck is replacement of a couple of sensors in the EGR system and the 2 front u-joints on the front axles have been replaced. I have been told that the u-joints usually need replaced at around 75000 mi and mine lasted 87000 so I can't complain.

Ford, America' s Best
By Gerard on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Overall, the 1997 Ford Ranger Super is a very good vehicle. It's number one conveniencing brand I would place upon this vehicle is its saftey. Ford truely have lived up to "Built Ford Tough" slogan. However, I think that all of the models should be standardized with a V6 engine. This would make this vehicle more attractive to buyers and provide a more complete feeling when driving.

Great truck
By joehb on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Best auto I have EVER owned.

Ford Ranger XLT a great truck!
By MikeZ on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is the best vehicle I've ever owned and I bought it 5 years old with 68,000 miles. The ride is great and the performance of the 4.0L V6 is excellent. A very refined vehicle, it feels more like a sports car than a pickup truck.

An excellent small truck
By 97rangerfan on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This has been an exceptionally trouble- free vehicle. I just wish I had opted for an extended cab. The Ranger is fun to drive and maneuvers like a car. The heater can really keep up on the coldest days. The A/C is more than enough to keep one comfortable on hot humid days.

Very happy
By Sniffer on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have 102,000 miles logged on my 1997 Ford Ranger. Other than basic maintenance items, the vehicle has performed very well. The 4 cylinder engine won't set the world on fire but I'm happy with the average 26 MPG I am getting. The 2wd makes for difficult traction in snow or rain.

None
By Kevin on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Truck runs rough up hills and power from a stand still. Little room for material more for fun. Not good for people to ride in the rear.

Great Truck
By hobbs on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love driving this truck. Its ride is more like a car than a truck. It starts with only 2 or 3 turns of starter...every time...I like its looks, willow green with matching interior..Also has a fiberglass tonneau cover which makes it look sharp..Everything works, even all light bulbs...It's a manual shift, which makes it fun to drive....It has never let me down and it's got 192000 miles on the odometer.

LOVE MY TRUCK!
By Tanya on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

For my 18th birthday my father bought me a Ford ranger extended cab-- xlt - in gold -- it is a beautiful truck inside and out i go to college everyday in it -- it is about a 1 hour drive to come viit my family on the weekends so we wouldnt settle for something that "might work" we searched for 2 years for the perfect truck could have bought a car-- but "NO WAY" i would wait for my truck -- i have 2 younger brothers - we all drive Fords -- less problems all together than my moms Van - - not a ford!