Used 1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Truck
By Ken

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger new. I bought a compact 4 cylinder standard transmission truck I like. It's not a power, gas guzzling demon, like some of the V8 and V6 trucks I looked at. This truck has been reliable over the years and only had small problems. I had to replace the brakes, tires, and one oil seal in the rear axle. This Ranger rides like a truck on bumpy country roads, but on the interstate it's not bad. Still I know I'm driving a truck. The only complaint I've got is this: steep hills require downshifts, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. I'll keep the Ranger till I have to junk it

Gas mileage for a truck and reliability.

None.

Good Litttle Truck
By loneranger

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

129,000 on my Ranger to date. Other than basic maintenance items, the truck has been maintenance free. 2wd is horrible in snow as I anticipated even with 200 lbs of sand in bed. Gas mileage is a respectable 26mpg with the 4 cylinder engine. The truck is solid - no rattles or squeaks.

A great little truck for the homeowner. Just big enough for that trip to the garden center or salvage yard.

A full 4-door version of this truck would be welcome.

I Love this truck!
By Mijo

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I (We) bought this truck to replace a Nissan Wagon that we had. My mother-in- law had a Ranger pick-up (4 Cyl, SB, standard Trans) that was a joy to drive. When we went to get ours, I opted for a 6 cylinder to haul a trailer (the 4 Cyl can't handle it). We got the auto trans for my wife who can no longer do manual. We got the longest bed available because I haul a lot of stuff ( I also work in building supply and hate short bed pick-ups).

The sound system is good. I like the tie down locations in the bed. Sliding rear window is a plus.

Put another stake hole in the center (between the hole behind the cab and near tail gate). Make a 8 foot bed.

Not a bad truck
By MacRaider4

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 1997 Ranger isn't a bad truck, just a little on the small side. If it were a little bigger in the cab and bed it would be nice. Had to remove the heat shield from the muffler as it kept coming loose and the engine has been making a rattling noise for about 20k. But still runs great...

For a RWD with a 4 Cyl it has decent power and payload...

Larger interior.

I love my Ranger - hate to let it go
By littlesimo

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I've owned mine for just short of five years now and not a single problem with it. I've changed the oil every 3K-4K miles and purchased a soft tonneau cover shortly after I bought it in 1999. With that, and the K&N airfilter and just keeping up on normal maintanence, its never steered me wrong. I just recently talked to a 2001 owner who has over 120K on his and he loves his as well...Rangers don't die.