Used 1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Awesome Ride
By James

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought for $2,800 with 118k miles. Have never had a problem except with neutral safety switch not making contact and shifter knob coming off (its the 5 speed manual 2.3L). Runs great and is very fun to drive. I'm not a big fan of the sag in the front, but that seems standard with most rangers of the time. It has problems with uphills but nothing major. You can get some serious bounce and slide out of the back which is fun on occasion. I have never gotten lower than 24.3 miles to the gallon and I keep up with it everytime I fill up. It came with 14 inch rims which is a shame because there are not that many off road tires for that size, but i can always upgrade. all in all, an awesome truck!

Favorite Features

Small cab heats up fast in the winter, can really fly out of stops, reliable, comfy seats, and decent sound

Suggested Improvements

better gear ratio, little more weight in the back, more BHP

Love my ranger
By mapplema

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 97 Ranger in 2004 with 75,000 miles, in 2011 it now has 145,000. The clutch needed replaced when we bought it, also had the slave plate fixed in 2009. Those were the 2 biggest expenses. Being in Ohio, rust has been my only enemy. I've replaced rusted broken parts as needed, and this thing still runs like a champ. You will be in the shop 2-3 times a year as it gets older, but they're not expensive trips. Gas mileage is excellent around 23-24 with mostly city driving.

Best Truck Ever!!
By Bob

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am 18 and this is my first car. I have the manual tranny and it is great. It is ten years old and has never broken down. It gets great gas mileage which is good because I have to pay for everything in my car. The engine is good and has a nice kick but if you don't have the manual I think it will not be as much fun. I do take it off road sometimes, but only on small easy courses. It handles fine on and off road. Overall great first vehicle or farm vehicle, which is what it originally was used for.

Favorite Features

Vinyl seats in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires

Reliable with manual, reasonable repairs for age
By 97rangerlou

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger XLT Flareside in 2003 with about 60,000 miles. 5 speed manual. It now has 198,000 miles. The only time I had any trouble that prevented me from running was around 120,000 when the alternator went out. That was an easy repair. Other issues: Replaced original clutch two years ago around 175,000 miles. Instrument cluster lights started going out around 150,000 and are all out now. I haven't seen a way to get to them besides taking apart the dash. Door chime issue hasnt' been solved, but I haven't spent time on it. I believe now the fuel injectors need to be replaced.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, good low end. Even I can change the oil myself. Handles good enough even in the snow (add extra wt. over rear axle and slow down). Runs well on highway. So far has always started and run with one exception above.

Suggested Improvements

If Ford could produce this exact model again (I wish they would), chase away the electrical ghosts. Figure out a way to keep the radiator support panel from rusting out.

A sad farwell to a old friend
By Mechaicsville Steve

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

After the years of abuse today I finally retired my old friend the Ranger. (190,000 miles) Bought this truck with 80k on it and never had any major problems, only repairs were basic repairs, leaf springs and a alternator. This truck has been through a lot, multiple deer strikes, a guardrail or 2 and more and still kept on going. Sadly though the list of problems that started to build up on it at 180K have taken its toll and I had to junk it even though it still runs. Amazing is all I can say after the hell I had put it through. Never burned one drop of oil. It was so good on oil that I would only change it every 10,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Reliablity. Best 3000 bucks I ever spent.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room, fix the dome light issue (which I am sure by now they have)