1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
An excellent small truck
By 97rangerfan on 01/18/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This has been an exceptionally trouble- free vehicle. I just wish I had opted for an extended cab. The Ranger is fun to drive and maneuvers like a car. The heater can really keep up on the coldest days. The A/C is more than enough to keep one comfortable on hot humid days.

Very happy
By Sniffer on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I have 102,000 miles logged on my 1997 Ford Ranger. Other than basic maintenance items, the vehicle has performed very well. The 4 cylinder engine won't set the world on fire but I'm happy with the average 26 MPG I am getting. The 2wd makes for difficult traction in snow or rain.

Rockin' Ranger
By mrs. hall on 08/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a fun truck! Only been in the shop twice in it's 60K miles (defective thermostat). With good care I expect at least 140K out of this truck. Interior design is very functional, controls easy to reach, seating very comfy. Definately has typical truck- like suspension ( you feel every bump! ) but it's a small price to pay for a great truck!

Excellent Small P/U
By Jordan Murphy on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Excellent small Pickup. No problems in 1.5 years--bought used. Poor fuel economy w/4.0L V6 (14/15 MPG). However, great in snow, and sporty.

Maintenance/Repair Nitemare
By Douglas P. Smith on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Major mechanical problems after 70,000 miles. Over $2,044.08 spent on four repair occasions since 2-08-02 (I have receipts). Just had clutch assembly and slave cylinder replaced at 77,012 miles mostly highway miles). U-Joints, Ball Joints, and injectors thermostat and sensors have been replaced. I will never purchase any vehicle maufactured by this company again. I intend to make known to my friends, family and associates the problems I have experienced with this vehicle in order that they not make the same mistake I did. Obviously, Ford trucks aren't built tough.

1997 Ford Ranger 2 DR XLT SB
By Officer_ndogg on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a good truck as long as you don't need a lot of power or room. The 4Cyl engine is weak and provides slow acceleration, though fuel economy is good. If you get the 4Cyl, get the 5- speed or it will be slower than a dump truck. This truck handles very well and rides decent, for a truck. The interior is very cramped, though heardroom shouldn't be a problem. Build quality is not bad, especially for a truck. Towing with the 4Cyl is out of the question. Not a bad truck for the everday commute, but for work duty it wouldn't be very usefull.