1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
ranger
By KFRASER on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this truck.

I Love this truck!
By Mijo on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I (We) bought this truck to replace a Nissan Wagon that we had. My mother-in- law had a Ranger pick-up (4 Cyl, SB, standard Trans) that was a joy to drive. When we went to get ours, I opted for a 6 cylinder to haul a trailer (the 4 Cyl can't handle it). We got the auto trans for my wife who can no longer do manual. We got the longest bed available because I haul a lot of stuff ( I also work in building supply and hate short bed pick-ups).

Happy Hi-miler
By holdenranger on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck has over 200,000 hard miles on it, and it still runs great. It never had much power, but it can do what it is called upon to.

Not a bad truck
By MacRaider4 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 1997 Ranger isn't a bad truck, just a little on the small side. If it were a little bigger in the cab and bed it would be nice. Had to remove the heat shield from the muffler as it kept coming loose and the engine has been making a rattling noise for about 20k. But still runs great...

I love my Ranger - hate to let it go
By littlesimo on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I've owned mine for just short of five years now and not a single problem with it. I've changed the oil every 3K-4K miles and purchased a soft tonneau cover shortly after I bought it in 1999. With that, and the K&N airfilter and just keeping up on normal maintanence, its never steered me wrong. I just recently talked to a 2001 owner who has over 120K on his and he loves his as well...Rangers don't die.

great reliable truck
By bob2chi on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems major or minor. Would buy another.

Great truck!!!
By ukdal1 on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a great truck. The only thing I have had wring with it was the thermostat went bad. Other than that, NO problems!!!!

Great Basic Cars
By humvee4000 on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Good Cheap Transportation. Never a single problem other then basic maintenance in 80k of driving.

Truck or Toy
By 2nrz on 10/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The truck is fun evan with 123,000 miles i've had not a single problem. I did a diognostic at ford and it was in the "good" condition rating and thats pretty good for that many miles. the only problem is that the manuals go through cluches fast if you tow

Don't buy this truck
By Ford POS on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased in 99 with 22k miles. While it has never broken down once, the smaller problems are really annoying. Interior lights will not go out. Truck will hardly run on 87 octane so we use 93 always. Has the small 4 banger which has 8 spark plugs, only 4 of which I can get to without removing the intake manifold. Rear suspension design is so poor that a moderate size bump will throw the truck into the other lane. Everyone I know with this truck has these same problems. Now at 104K miles, it needs new front wheel bearings. CD player quit at 35k. I don't understand why Edmunds has this truck in its "Top Ten" list.