Used 1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Purchase
By Michael

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

V6 5 speed. I bought this used in 2001 with 50,000 miles on and have put 135000 on it still running strong. Had to replace the clutch at 130000 miles. Other than that had no mechanical problems. Truck has not been babied at all. Missed oil changes, driven hard, and still always starts and runs.

Favorite Features

Reliability, practical size, and the utility of a truck

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more cab room

Junk
By chuck

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Nice looking truck inside and out. It now has 118,000 miles on it and most of the front end components have been replaced more than once. The 3.0L v-6 with the automatic is greatly underpowered. It gets bad gas mileage less than 15 mpg. It also has a poor ride. It does not like to go up hills. It has had endless problems with the ABS brakes. The frame is starting rust out

Favorite Features

Looks and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. More power

1997 Ford Ranger Review
By richfax

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger with 43000 miles on it in 2002. Five years later I'm approaching the 100000 mile mark. I bought this truck as inexpensive transportation to get to and from work. I paid $5900 cash and don't regret it. I haven't had to take it in for anything other than oil changes, new tires and a new battery. Replacement tires and parts are very inexpensive and easy to find. My annual out of pocket for maintenance is about $100 per year. The EPA rates the fuel economy of the 4 cylinder (which I own) as best in class. I don't recommend the 6 cylinder if you are looking for good fuel economy because it is worst in class. Cheap, reliable, good mileage- great so far!

One Flaw Ranger
By KD

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4cly. with 99,000 miles to this day. It's been very reliable as the engine, trans, and so on. Only had small problem with frnt brake slide pins outside of normal maint. It has one major exterior flaw: rust! I did wash the underbody every spring; it still rusts. I'd swear Ford designed this truck's frame to rust out. I suppose if I lived in another state besides Maine (and snow & salted roads) this would not be a problem, or would it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage about 24-31 mpg in mixed driving, power, and it hauls a two place snowmobile trailer with ease. Never has left me stuck on the side of the road like my Sable.

Suggested Improvements

Better rust protection for frame components, and front brake parts.

Best Truck Ever!!
By Bob

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am 18 and this is my first car. I have the manual tranny and it is great. It is ten years old and has never broken down. It gets great gas mileage which is good because I have to pay for everything in my car. The engine is good and has a nice kick but if you don't have the manual I think it will not be as much fun. I do take it off road sometimes, but only on small easy courses. It handles fine on and off road. Overall great first vehicle or farm vehicle, which is what it originally was used for.

Favorite Features

Vinyl seats in the summer.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger tires