Used 1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Maintenance/Repair Nitemare
By Douglas P. Smith

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Major mechanical problems after 70,000 miles. Over $2,044.08 spent on four repair occasions since 2-08-02 (I have receipts). Just had clutch assembly and slave cylinder replaced at 77,012 miles mostly highway miles). U-Joints, Ball Joints, and injectors thermostat and sensors have been replaced. I will never purchase any vehicle maufactured by this company again. I intend to make known to my friends, family and associates the problems I have experienced with this vehicle in order that they not make the same mistake I did. Obviously, Ford trucks aren't built tough.

One Flaw Ranger
By KD

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4cly. with 99,000 miles to this day. It's been very reliable as the engine, trans, and so on. Only had small problem with frnt brake slide pins outside of normal maint. It has one major exterior flaw: rust! I did wash the underbody every spring; it still rusts. I'd swear Ford designed this truck's frame to rust out. I suppose if I lived in another state besides Maine (and snow & salted roads) this would not be a problem, or would it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage about 24-31 mpg in mixed driving, power, and it hauls a two place snowmobile trailer with ease. Never has left me stuck on the side of the road like my Sable.

Suggested Improvements

Better rust protection for frame components, and front brake parts.

Last US truck I will ever own
By LA24

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I got this truck with only 6000 miles on it. It has been nothing but problems here are some. Wheel bearings 10000 miles, endless ignition problems nobody can get it to run right 4 different shops, hubs 29000 miles and i rarely use 4 wheel, front u joints 60000 miles, steering wheel locked up, electrical problem, brake seal 65000, sensors relaced, heater stuck on hot, always some sort on electrical problems. This truck is junk. Don't buy.

WORST TRUCK EVER
By Mrp

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is the worst truck I've ever owned. Bought a used 1996 XL in 1998. I have had many problems ever since. Many electrical problems. I have been stranded roadside twice. Do not buy one

Favorite Features

The color options

Suggested Improvements

Make rangers better and built to last

Junk
By chuck

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Nice looking truck inside and out. It now has 118,000 miles on it and most of the front end components have been replaced more than once. The 3.0L v-6 with the automatic is greatly underpowered. It gets bad gas mileage less than 15 mpg. It also has a poor ride. It does not like to go up hills. It has had endless problems with the ABS brakes. The frame is starting rust out

Favorite Features

Looks and comfort

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy. More power