Used 1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Great little truck
By Dave C

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have 170,000 miles on my Ranger and only had to replace the clutch and water pump. It is a 4 cylinder and I used it to deliver pizza of several years. Great on gas and reliable. I love it!

Keeps on rolling
By BlackStackin'

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I had my Ranger for 5 1/2 years. Only minor problems such as egr sensors, vacuum lines, and replacing the hubs. Have 112000 miles on and for the most part the truck is reliable. I squeeze out any where from 18 to 20 mpg on consistent basis. My only complaints about it are: rides like a lumber truck, engine is breathless at highway speed, seats are terribly uncomfortable, autolocking hubs are a joke-replaced mine with manuals, and the brakes are really grabby when there is a lot of moisture in the air. The paint has stood up to time and use very well and overall I think the Ranger is a entry level vehicle for young buyers who are looking for a reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Nothing real particular except the light up cruise buttons and I like the dash layout. The HVAC system is awesome! A/C freezes you out, which I like.

Suggested Improvements

Ranger needs to be a little bigger and with more power. Ford needs to completly redesign, re-engineer the Ranger. Nothing has really changed between '97 and '04 except for minor body work, powerplant, interior, and suspension upgrades.

4.0 V6 engine idle
By Fudd

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck has been very good overall. One problem I have had since new is engine idles at 1500 rpm or higher for about 5 minutes until temp. guage comes up to normal operating temp. Took to dealer 2-3 times while in warranty and they refused to correct the problem! Have taken it to independent repair facility and they have not been able to fix it either. All of them say it is sealed up,and no adjustments can be made. Maybe true, but correct component could be replaced to fix the problem. The problem is amplified by the fact I live on a mountain and coming down it at half throttle can be exciting--especially in winter. Hard on brakes too.

Favorite Features

Ride is very comfortable for truck. Handle good.

ranger
By KFRASER

I love this truck.

Favorite Features

The speakers. The bass, it is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

To get power windows and locks.

Happy Hi-miler
By holdenranger

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

This truck has over 200,000 hard miles on it, and it still runs great. It never had much power, but it can do what it is called upon to.

Favorite Features

Great reliability. Almost no unscheduled service.

Suggested Improvements

Manual tranny's a bit slow-shifting. Exterior manual mirrors are too small.