1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Buy a Chevy
By edt on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck ran great for the first three years, then just about after the warranty ran out the check engine light came on. In the shop multiple times, damn thing just runs rough. Mileage sucks, too. Only about 15 mpg...and that's highway fellas!

Great Truck
By russ1a1hesston on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab STX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I enjoy my Ranger. It has a V6 4.0L with 4 wheel drive. It's a little weak in acceleration but plenty of power for hauling a load. It pulls a heavy trailer load better than my V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Ford has the best trucks hands down
By AndyTruck1 on 04/10/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

I now have 190000 miles and have only replaced clutches and normal wear. It has great power, better handleing and has never left me stranded. Anyone who says different is dumb.

love my truck
By mac_712 on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab STX 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I was told before buying that it was under powered. But I have found the 4.0L engine to have plenty of power. The seats are very comfortable.Gas mileage could be a bit better but I don't baby my vehicles either. This is my first 4x4 and I will never do without 4wd again. The only repairs I have had in the 2 years I have owned this truck is replacement of a couple of sensors in the EGR system and the 2 front u-joints on the front axles have been replaced. I have been told that the u-joints usually need replaced at around 75000 mi and mine lasted 87000 so I can't complain.

Ford, America' s Best
By Gerard on 02/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Overall, the 1997 Ford Ranger Super is a very good vehicle. It's number one conveniencing brand I would place upon this vehicle is its saftey. Ford truely have lived up to "Built Ford Tough" slogan. However, I think that all of the models should be standardized with a V6 engine. This would make this vehicle more attractive to buyers and provide a more complete feeling when driving.

None
By Kevin on 10/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Splash 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Truck runs rough up hills and power from a stand still. Little room for material more for fun. Not good for people to ride in the rear.

Great Truck
By hobbs on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love driving this truck. Its ride is more like a car than a truck. It starts with only 2 or 3 turns of starter...every time...I like its looks, willow green with matching interior..Also has a fiberglass tonneau cover which makes it look sharp..Everything works, even all light bulbs...It's a manual shift, which makes it fun to drive....It has never let me down and it's got 192000 miles on the odometer.

LOVE MY TRUCK!
By Tanya on 09/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

For my 18th birthday my father bought me a Ford ranger extended cab-- xlt - in gold -- it is a beautiful truck inside and out i go to college everyday in it -- it is about a 1 hour drive to come viit my family on the weekends so we wouldnt settle for something that "might work" we searched for 2 years for the perfect truck could have bought a car-- but "NO WAY" i would wait for my truck -- i have 2 younger brothers - we all drive Fords -- less problems all together than my moms Van - - not a ford!

No Worries
By EricL on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had more Ford Ranger since mile 7 and it has been a trusty member of the family. It is the only car I own and I drive on average a hundred miles a day as a single working parent and rarely have to worry about "shiny" (as my daughter has named it).

Hard to Part w/ A Wonderful Truck
By StanFurlow on 08/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

One owner;Good Ride (use 70lb sand bag in bed/3 for snow=4WD);Once you find a good seat position it's OK (heated/vibrating seat cushion-long rides);70,000K miles;Great paint-willow green (has purple metallic in it);front of stepside catches rocks/sand;Use rubber bedliner and leave long on all sides + tailgate rubber;Have removable kayak/lumber carrier on bed sides- doesn't allow cap/locking top;Bit notchey in shift;Very, very few minor probs;Dome light fixed w/switch;Regular oil changes;4cyl but wish for V6 at times;Only on 2nd set of tires;A/C bogs down engine however w/o A/C is worse;