1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Ranger Reliability
By Lone Ranger on 08/20/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

11 years old with 234,000 miles with only normal repairs, brake pads, alternator and battery. The 4 cylinder is not powerful but is reliable.

Good Purchase
By Michael on 07/19/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

V6 5 speed. I bought this used in 2001 with 50,000 miles on and have put 135000 on it still running strong. Had to replace the clutch at 130000 miles. Other than that had no mechanical problems. Truck has not been babied at all. Missed oil changes, driven hard, and still always starts and runs.

1997 Ford Ranger Review
By richfax on 12/27/07 10:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger with 43000 miles on it in 2002. Five years later I'm approaching the 100000 mile mark. I bought this truck as inexpensive transportation to get to and from work. I paid $5900 cash and don't regret it. I haven't had to take it in for anything other than oil changes, new tires and a new battery. Replacement tires and parts are very inexpensive and easy to find. My annual out of pocket for maintenance is about $100 per year. The EPA rates the fuel economy of the 4 cylinder (which I own) as best in class. I don't recommend the 6 cylinder if you are looking for good fuel economy because it is worst in class. Cheap, reliable, good mileage- great so far!

One Flaw Ranger
By KD on 11/26/07 08:14 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4cly. with 99,000 miles to this day. It's been very reliable as the engine, trans, and so on. Only had small problem with frnt brake slide pins outside of normal maint. It has one major exterior flaw: rust! I did wash the underbody every spring; it still rusts. I'd swear Ford designed this truck's frame to rust out. I suppose if I lived in another state besides Maine (and snow & salted roads) this would not be a problem, or would it.

Best Truck Ever!!
By Bob on 03/29/07 23:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am 18 and this is my first car. I have the manual tranny and it is great. It is ten years old and has never broken down. It gets great gas mileage which is good because I have to pay for everything in my car. The engine is good and has a nice kick but if you don't have the manual I think it will not be as much fun. I do take it off road sometimes, but only on small easy courses. It handles fine on and off road. Overall great first vehicle or farm vehicle, which is what it originally was used for.

Good Truck
By Ken on 12/14/05 10:51 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger new. I bought a compact 4 cylinder standard transmission truck I like. It's not a power, gas guzzling demon, like some of the V8 and V6 trucks I looked at. This truck has been reliable over the years and only had small problems. I had to replace the brakes, tires, and one oil seal in the rear axle. This Ranger rides like a truck on bumpy country roads, but on the interstate it's not bad. Still I know I'm driving a truck. The only complaint I've got is this: steep hills require downshifts, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. I'll keep the Ranger till I have to junk it

Good Litttle Truck
By loneranger on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

129,000 on my Ranger to date. Other than basic maintenance items, the truck has been maintenance free. 2wd is horrible in snow as I anticipated even with 200 lbs of sand in bed. Gas mileage is a respectable 26mpg with the 4 cylinder engine. The truck is solid - no rattles or squeaks.

I Love this truck!
By Mijo on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I (We) bought this truck to replace a Nissan Wagon that we had. My mother-in- law had a Ranger pick-up (4 Cyl, SB, standard Trans) that was a joy to drive. When we went to get ours, I opted for a 6 cylinder to haul a trailer (the 4 Cyl can't handle it). We got the auto trans for my wife who can no longer do manual. We got the longest bed available because I haul a lot of stuff ( I also work in building supply and hate short bed pick-ups).

Not a bad truck
By MacRaider4 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 1997 Ranger isn't a bad truck, just a little on the small side. If it were a little bigger in the cab and bed it would be nice. Had to remove the heat shield from the muffler as it kept coming loose and the engine has been making a rattling noise for about 20k. But still runs great...

I love my Ranger - hate to let it go
By littlesimo on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I've owned mine for just short of five years now and not a single problem with it. I've changed the oil every 3K-4K miles and purchased a soft tonneau cover shortly after I bought it in 1999. With that, and the K&N airfilter and just keeping up on normal maintanence, its never steered me wrong. I just recently talked to a 2001 owner who has over 120K on his and he loves his as well...Rangers don't die.