Used 1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Reliable and fun
By Daniel

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased my truck when I was 16 for 2000 dollers with 120,000 miles. Since then i've put another 90000 miles on it for a total of 210,000 miles with no major hitchs. The truck is quite peppy out of the hole but lacks top end power. I've had mine up to 110 on a long downhill stretch. Back end is a little light which makes it fun to slide around but scary when over driving a corner.My ranger is two wheel drive and will get stuck in grass if it is wet. This truck needs a limited slip deferential to counter this problem. Cabin of truck is spacious if you are under 6 foot tall. Over all if you are looking for a nice reliable truck this is it. 13 years, 210,000 miles later, and no rust.

Suggested Improvements

Needs Tac and a limited slip differential

Awesome Ride
By James

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought for $2,800 with 118k miles. Have never had a problem except with neutral safety switch not making contact and shifter knob coming off (its the 5 speed manual 2.3L). Runs great and is very fun to drive. I'm not a big fan of the sag in the front, but that seems standard with most rangers of the time. It has problems with uphills but nothing major. You can get some serious bounce and slide out of the back which is fun on occasion. I have never gotten lower than 24.3 miles to the gallon and I keep up with it everytime I fill up. It came with 14 inch rims which is a shame because there are not that many off road tires for that size, but i can always upgrade. all in all, an awesome truck!

Favorite Features

Small cab heats up fast in the winter, can really fly out of stops, reliable, comfy seats, and decent sound

Suggested Improvements

better gear ratio, little more weight in the back, more BHP

Has never failed me
By Kevin

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is my first truck. I got it when I turned 17 and it has been a great car. I don't take care of it and I drive it like I stole it, but it keeps on going. Starts every time and never leaves me stranded. I even wrecked it and I still drive it today without replacing anything but the windshield. It has some problems with the gas line. There is a crack in the filler neck hose so I lose gas onto the ground every time I put gas into it and I only get 17 mpg. It idles pretty rough too. Its pretty fast for a 4 cylinder with the the aero dynamics of a brick. Overall this has been a great truck and I'm content with it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, Color(Dark Red), Reliability, rear sliding window, folding center console, Cd Player (stock cd/casset player), Interior looks great and it very similar to the current rangers interior, I love being high off the ground and this truck sits pretty "]

Suggested Improvements

More power, better speakers, tachometer should be standard, more space in the cab would be nice, I don't see the point in a long bed ranger(mine is a long bed and it looks a little awkward), Better gas mileage (even without the gas leak the gas mileage is low for a 4 cylinder), Brighter Headlights

Last US truck I will ever own
By LA24

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I got this truck with only 6000 miles on it. It has been nothing but problems here are some. Wheel bearings 10000 miles, endless ignition problems nobody can get it to run right 4 different shops, hubs 29000 miles and i rarely use 4 wheel, front u joints 60000 miles, steering wheel locked up, electrical problem, brake seal 65000, sensors relaced, heater stuck on hot, always some sort on electrical problems. This truck is junk. Don't buy.

A sad farwell to a old friend
By Mechaicsville Steve

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

After the years of abuse today I finally retired my old friend the Ranger. (190,000 miles) Bought this truck with 80k on it and never had any major problems, only repairs were basic repairs, leaf springs and a alternator. This truck has been through a lot, multiple deer strikes, a guardrail or 2 and more and still kept on going. Sadly though the list of problems that started to build up on it at 180K have taken its toll and I had to junk it even though it still runs. Amazing is all I can say after the hell I had put it through. Never burned one drop of oil. It was so good on oil that I would only change it every 10,000 miles!

Favorite Features

Reliablity. Best 3000 bucks I ever spent.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room, fix the dome light issue (which I am sure by now they have)