Used 1997 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Still running
By taylorc

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck in summer of 2008 and Its now at 160k miles and still running strong, I've only replaced the leaf spings from the abuse ive put the truck through. It takes sh!t and smiles

Favorite Features

The truck bed

Suggested Improvements

it needs a metal blend door, the plastic one breaks and leaves you with no heat for 3 winters until you find that its not worth the 1200 the mechanic wants to fix it. Just cut through the bottom of the plenum and change the door yourself, took me about 45 minutes with a dremel and 20 bucks.

Reliable and fun
By Daniel

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased my truck when I was 16 for 2000 dollers with 120,000 miles. Since then i've put another 90000 miles on it for a total of 210,000 miles with no major hitchs. The truck is quite peppy out of the hole but lacks top end power. I've had mine up to 110 on a long downhill stretch. Back end is a little light which makes it fun to slide around but scary when over driving a corner.My ranger is two wheel drive and will get stuck in grass if it is wet. This truck needs a limited slip deferential to counter this problem. Cabin of truck is spacious if you are under 6 foot tall. Over all if you are looking for a nice reliable truck this is it. 13 years, 210,000 miles later, and no rust.

Suggested Improvements

Needs Tac and a limited slip differential

Awesome Ride
By James

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought for $2,800 with 118k miles. Have never had a problem except with neutral safety switch not making contact and shifter knob coming off (its the 5 speed manual 2.3L). Runs great and is very fun to drive. I'm not a big fan of the sag in the front, but that seems standard with most rangers of the time. It has problems with uphills but nothing major. You can get some serious bounce and slide out of the back which is fun on occasion. I have never gotten lower than 24.3 miles to the gallon and I keep up with it everytime I fill up. It came with 14 inch rims which is a shame because there are not that many off road tires for that size, but i can always upgrade. all in all, an awesome truck!

Favorite Features

Small cab heats up fast in the winter, can really fly out of stops, reliable, comfy seats, and decent sound

Suggested Improvements

better gear ratio, little more weight in the back, more BHP

Not bad
By Jason94519

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had the truck for a little over a year, put almost 12,000 miles on it and not a hitch. Bought it with 142,000 and was a bit weary, but got a great cost and I know the Ranger reputation to be good.

Favorite Features

Reliability - hasn't hiccuped yet.

Suggested Improvements

Power. That is the one thing that I can't stand about this truck. I have the 5 speed manual, and there it is the most sluggish thing I've ever driven. But it gets me where I'm going, even if I have to downshift on a slight grade.

Has never failed me
By Kevin

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This is my first truck. I got it when I turned 17 and it has been a great car. I don't take care of it and I drive it like I stole it, but it keeps on going. Starts every time and never leaves me stranded. I even wrecked it and I still drive it today without replacing anything but the windshield. It has some problems with the gas line. There is a crack in the filler neck hose so I lose gas onto the ground every time I put gas into it and I only get 17 mpg. It idles pretty rough too. Its pretty fast for a 4 cylinder with the the aero dynamics of a brick. Overall this has been a great truck and I'm content with it.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, Color(Dark Red), Reliability, rear sliding window, folding center console, Cd Player (stock cd/casset player), Interior looks great and it very similar to the current rangers interior, I love being high off the ground and this truck sits pretty "]

Suggested Improvements

More power, better speakers, tachometer should be standard, more space in the cab would be nice, I don't see the point in a long bed ranger(mine is a long bed and it looks a little awkward), Better gas mileage (even without the gas leak the gas mileage is low for a 4 cylinder), Brighter Headlights