1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Great for 12 years
By randy on 09/17/09 04:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new, it was inexpensive and all the more truck that I needed. It was a bit of a challenge in four wheel drive( tough turning) and had very little off road hill power,in my back yard. The engined revved all the time, when stop at stop signs etc and would not idle down, I believe this cause this truck to really use the gas. I had to replaced five idler pulleys because of the screeching from the engine compartment.I changed the oil every 3000- 5000 miles. The truck had 79,000 miles 9-16-09 and without warning the engine went. It was a good vehicle but low mileage and it's now JUNK.

still going
By artifishal bait on 05/12/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

it is the best truck i owned and would recommend it to beginner drivers. i own the 5 speed 3.0L 4 cylinder with 176000 miles and it is flippin awesome to drive and drives like a cadilac

Last US truck I will ever own
By LA24 on 02/20/09 15:05 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

I got this truck with only 6000 miles on it. It has been nothing but problems here are some. Wheel bearings 10000 miles, endless ignition problems nobody can get it to run right 4 different shops, hubs 29000 miles and i rarely use 4 wheel, front u joints 60000 miles, steering wheel locked up, electrical problem, brake seal 65000, sensors relaced, heater stuck on hot, always some sort on electrical problems. This truck is junk. Don't buy.

A sad farwell to a old friend
By Mechaicsville Steve on 09/15/08 17:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

After the years of abuse today I finally retired my old friend the Ranger. (190,000 miles) Bought this truck with 80k on it and never had any major problems, only repairs were basic repairs, leaf springs and a alternator. This truck has been through a lot, multiple deer strikes, a guardrail or 2 and more and still kept on going. Sadly though the list of problems that started to build up on it at 180K have taken its toll and I had to junk it even though it still runs. Amazing is all I can say after the hell I had put it through. Never burned one drop of oil. It was so good on oil that I would only change it every 10,000 miles!

Ranger Reliability
By Lone Ranger on 08/20/08 08:12 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

11 years old with 234,000 miles with only normal repairs, brake pads, alternator and battery. The 4 cylinder is not powerful but is reliable.

Good Purchase
By Michael on 07/19/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

V6 5 speed. I bought this used in 2001 with 50,000 miles on and have put 135000 on it still running strong. Had to replace the clutch at 130000 miles. Other than that had no mechanical problems. Truck has not been babied at all. Missed oil changes, driven hard, and still always starts and runs.

Junk
By chuck on 03/14/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Nice looking truck inside and out. It now has 118,000 miles on it and most of the front end components have been replaced more than once. The 3.0L v-6 with the automatic is greatly underpowered. It gets bad gas mileage less than 15 mpg. It also has a poor ride. It does not like to go up hills. It has had endless problems with the ABS brakes. The frame is starting rust out

1997 Ford Ranger Review
By richfax on 12/27/07 10:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger with 43000 miles on it in 2002. Five years later I'm approaching the 100000 mile mark. I bought this truck as inexpensive transportation to get to and from work. I paid $5900 cash and don't regret it. I haven't had to take it in for anything other than oil changes, new tires and a new battery. Replacement tires and parts are very inexpensive and easy to find. My annual out of pocket for maintenance is about $100 per year. The EPA rates the fuel economy of the 4 cylinder (which I own) as best in class. I don't recommend the 6 cylinder if you are looking for good fuel economy because it is worst in class. Cheap, reliable, good mileage- great so far!

One Flaw Ranger
By KD on 11/26/07 08:14 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4cly. with 99,000 miles to this day. It's been very reliable as the engine, trans, and so on. Only had small problem with frnt brake slide pins outside of normal maint. It has one major exterior flaw: rust! I did wash the underbody every spring; it still rusts. I'd swear Ford designed this truck's frame to rust out. I suppose if I lived in another state besides Maine (and snow & salted roads) this would not be a problem, or would it.

Best Truck Ever!!
By Bob on 03/29/07 23:01 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I am 18 and this is my first car. I have the manual tranny and it is great. It is ten years old and has never broken down. It gets great gas mileage which is good because I have to pay for everything in my car. The engine is good and has a nice kick but if you don't have the manual I think it will not be as much fun. I do take it off road sometimes, but only on small easy courses. It handles fine on and off road. Overall great first vehicle or farm vehicle, which is what it originally was used for.