1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Love my ranger
By mapplema on 11/01/11 08:38 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 97 Ranger in 2004 with 75,000 miles, in 2011 it now has 145,000. The clutch needed replaced when we bought it, also had the slave plate fixed in 2009. Those were the 2 biggest expenses. Being in Ohio, rust has been my only enemy. I've replaced rusted broken parts as needed, and this thing still runs like a champ. You will be in the shop 2-3 times a year as it gets older, but they're not expensive trips. Gas mileage is excellent around 23-24 with mostly city driving.

Still running
By taylorc on 02/17/11 09:01 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck in summer of 2008 and Its now at 160k miles and still running strong, I've only replaced the leaf spings from the abuse ive put the truck through. It takes sh!t and smiles

Awesome Ride
By James on 01/13/10 16:08 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought for $2,800 with 118k miles. Have never had a problem except with neutral safety switch not making contact and shifter knob coming off (its the 5 speed manual 2.3L). Runs great and is very fun to drive. I'm not a big fan of the sag in the front, but that seems standard with most rangers of the time. It has problems with uphills but nothing major. You can get some serious bounce and slide out of the back which is fun on occasion. I have never gotten lower than 24.3 miles to the gallon and I keep up with it everytime I fill up. It came with 14 inch rims which is a shame because there are not that many off road tires for that size, but i can always upgrade. all in all, an awesome truck!

Good Purchase
By Michael on 07/19/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

V6 5 speed. I bought this used in 2001 with 50,000 miles on and have put 135000 on it still running strong. Had to replace the clutch at 130000 miles. Other than that had no mechanical problems. Truck has not been babied at all. Missed oil changes, driven hard, and still always starts and runs.

1997 Ford Ranger Review
By richfax on 12/27/07 10:15 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my Ranger with 43000 miles on it in 2002. Five years later I'm approaching the 100000 mile mark. I bought this truck as inexpensive transportation to get to and from work. I paid $5900 cash and don't regret it. I haven't had to take it in for anything other than oil changes, new tires and a new battery. Replacement tires and parts are very inexpensive and easy to find. My annual out of pocket for maintenance is about $100 per year. The EPA rates the fuel economy of the 4 cylinder (which I own) as best in class. I don't recommend the 6 cylinder if you are looking for good fuel economy because it is worst in class. Cheap, reliable, good mileage- great so far!

One Flaw Ranger
By KD on 11/26/07 08:14 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I own a 1997 Ford Ranger XLT 4cly. with 99,000 miles to this day. It's been very reliable as the engine, trans, and so on. Only had small problem with frnt brake slide pins outside of normal maint. It has one major exterior flaw: rust! I did wash the underbody every spring; it still rusts. I'd swear Ford designed this truck's frame to rust out. I suppose if I lived in another state besides Maine (and snow & salted roads) this would not be a problem, or would it.

Good Truck
By Ken on 12/14/05 10:51 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger new. I bought a compact 4 cylinder standard transmission truck I like. It's not a power, gas guzzling demon, like some of the V8 and V6 trucks I looked at. This truck has been reliable over the years and only had small problems. I had to replace the brakes, tires, and one oil seal in the rear axle. This Ranger rides like a truck on bumpy country roads, but on the interstate it's not bad. Still I know I'm driving a truck. The only complaint I've got is this: steep hills require downshifts, but it's only a 4 cylinder engine. I'll keep the Ranger till I have to junk it

Not a bad truck
By MacRaider4 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

The 1997 Ranger isn't a bad truck, just a little on the small side. If it were a little bigger in the cab and bed it would be nice. Had to remove the heat shield from the muffler as it kept coming loose and the engine has been making a rattling noise for about 20k. But still runs great...

Great Basic Cars
By humvee4000 on 10/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Good Cheap Transportation. Never a single problem other then basic maintenance in 80k of driving.

Nothing nice
By Phet on 10/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Check engine light on all the time. I have had it in twice hooked up to computers and they can't figure out why the engine light is on.