Used 1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Reliable with manual, reasonable repairs for age
By 97rangerlou

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

I purchased my 1997 Ranger XLT Flareside in 2003 with about 60,000 miles. 5 speed manual. It now has 198,000 miles. The only time I had any trouble that prevented me from running was around 120,000 when the alternator went out. That was an easy repair. Other issues: Replaced original clutch two years ago around 175,000 miles. Instrument cluster lights started going out around 150,000 and are all out now. I haven't seen a way to get to them besides taking apart the dash. Door chime issue hasnt' been solved, but I haven't spent time on it. I believe now the fuel injectors need to be replaced.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, good low end. Even I can change the oil myself. Handles good enough even in the snow (add extra wt. over rear axle and slow down). Runs well on highway. So far has always started and run with one exception above.

Suggested Improvements

If Ford could produce this exact model again (I wish they would), chase away the electrical ghosts. Figure out a way to keep the radiator support panel from rusting out.

my 97 ford ranger xlt 2.3 automatic tranny single cab
By coltay69

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck in june of 2011. It was a decent looking truck , i have put brakes,tires,shocks,fuel pump,sending unit. timing belt,cam shaft seal,cam seal,rear main seal, oil pan seal, valve cover seal, water pump,all dashboard lights,AC asymbaly line, still has leak somewhere in AC, door switch due to inside light stayed on, new battery,new cataylac converter, i have put so many parts on this truck, its cost me over 17,00 in parts alone. Friend did work, when will it end. I know i am forgetting many parts. when is it going to stop, suspension on truck is horrid. front end jumps when hits small anything in road, nothing wrong with it. its the way it was built,now needs window regula

Favorite Features

Favorite features, honestly i can't say anything. The ashtray for us smokers is all wrong, due to cup holder, i just don't really like anything with truck, i didn't have enough room to say i changed out both sides with new window regulators. I changed the spark plugs, expensive plugs and wires and still not any better on gas. I hate the way the suspension is due to jumping exspecially on rail road tracks. I really don't have anything nice to say about this truck. Head lights got so fogged up and could not be fixed so had to do that. It cost a fortune due to oilpan gasket took taking it off the motor mounts, rear main seal took taking tranny off ,

Suggested Improvements

Sorry but i must say the suspension is number 1 that needs to be changed. I had fuel pump and sending unit changed and now it takes forever to put gas into it. A monster truck pulled in at same time while i was gassing up, he said dang, your still pumping and i pumped 42 gallons and payed for it already. Its a decent looking truck but its not cost effective in fixing things. Motor mounts must come off to change oil pan gasket. wow and water pump and timming belt is a huge job on this. I had a 94 honda civic that was cheaper and much easier to fix. My truck is single cab, 4 cylinder which needs better gas milage, and it only has 120K on it. Fl vehicle and rust all over bottom

Love my ranger
By mapplema

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I purchased my 97 Ranger in 2004 with 75,000 miles, in 2011 it now has 145,000. The clutch needed replaced when we bought it, also had the slave plate fixed in 2009. Those were the 2 biggest expenses. Being in Ohio, rust has been my only enemy. I've replaced rusted broken parts as needed, and this thing still runs like a champ. You will be in the shop 2-3 times a year as it gets older, but they're not expensive trips. Gas mileage is excellent around 23-24 with mostly city driving.

Great Truck all around
By vand

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XL 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought this truck in 2001 with 60K on it. It was an excellent, excellent truck. I replaced the alternator around 100K and did normal maintenence on it other than that. It started up every time, fun to drive (although the rear-wheel drive could be a little tricky if the roads were slick), used and abused it. The light bulbs behind the display went out slowly over the years--no big deal. I loaded all kinds of things in this truck over the years. It got great gas mileage. I had owned it for 10 years and put 90K on it when I was rear-ended and the truck was totalled. It could have been a much more serious accident, but the solid construction of this little truck saved me.

Favorite Features

It was a simple, bare-bones truck. No power anything! It was great though. Nothing to break. After bringing a lot of mud onto the rubber floor a few times, I actually hosed out the interior floor. Like I said, other than scheduled maintenence and a new alternator, it never needed anything.

Suggested Improvements

I wished it had a cup holder more than once. I also wished for power-steering when I was trying to park in a tight space.

Still running
By taylorc

1997 Ford Ranger Regular Cab XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought the truck in summer of 2008 and Its now at 160k miles and still running strong, I've only replaced the leaf spings from the abuse ive put the truck through. It takes sh!t and smiles

Favorite Features

The truck bed

Suggested Improvements

it needs a metal blend door, the plastic one breaks and leaves you with no heat for 3 winters until you find that its not worth the 1200 the mechanic wants to fix it. Just cut through the bottom of the plenum and change the door yourself, took me about 45 minutes with a dremel and 20 bucks.