Used 1997 Ford Ranger XL Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Reluctant to buy, Happy I did.
By Brian

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I almost didn't buy this truck, as it had a lot of miles on it. After a lengthy test drive, the truck felt solid, shifted nice, and drove very well, so I did buy. I've had it for some time now (a few months - actually it's my winter beater/rainy day driver), and it's just passed over 250,000 miles. The 2.3 liter engine uses no oil between oil changes, and makes no funny noises. It's a little short on power, but it's more than made up for that with it's relentless reliability. I see these trucks everywhere, and they are, figuratively speaking, a dime a dozen. I looked at Toyota, but they resale they hold is insane, which I'm told is due to the longevity of their engines. I know I haven't owned it for an extended amount of time (years), but I would say, money spent, the four cylinder Ranger is as good, or better than the, incredibly overpriced Toyota's out there.

Not bad
By Jason94519

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had the truck for a little over a year, put almost 12,000 miles on it and not a hitch. Bought it with 142,000 and was a bit weary, but got a great cost and I know the Ranger reputation to be good.

Reliability - hasn't hiccuped yet.

Power. That is the one thing that I can't stand about this truck. I have the 5 speed manual, and there it is the most sluggish thing I've ever driven. But it gets me where I'm going, even if I have to downshift on a slight grade.

Heads Up
By John

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had a lot of fun with this truck. But heads up on a few of the things listed below. I have owned it for 5 years and now have 120 thousand miles on it. I guess I can't be too hard on it.

Good pick up, flexibility of use, stereo, engine runs great!

HEATER CORE PROBLEM! I replaced it myself and still ended up spending around $500 and 15 hours on it. You have to remove the dash. Also, the gas mileage is like 15-17 Mpg. I want more from a little truck. Have had brake issues all along.

Great small truck
By rangerguy

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Trouble free since we bought it. Great
small truck that tows well. Would not
hesitate to buy another ranger in the
future

The ride is smooth and the comfort level is very high. I have the 4.0 v-6 and it has plenty of power. I would not suggest the four banger as they are a little under powered.

A hybrid in the future would be nice

My review
By ljscmm

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

This vehicle is one of the worst I've
ever had. I had to get a complete tune
up at 45,000 miles. I will never own
another Ford. I also had to replace the
mechanism that keeps the seat from
falling back.