1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
97 Ranger 4cyl 5 speed still runs great 143k
By dalebass3 on 04/03/13 06:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck 2 years ago. I knew it needed a slave cylinder just didn't realize it was inside the tranny. So I had a mechanic buddy do it and replace the clutch and rear main seal while he was at it. Has run great since. Only problem is the A/C. It wasn't working when I got it. Found a big hole in the condenser and then it worked for a couple days but then sprung a new leak in another line with the new found pressure. This seems to be a pretty common problem. Engine runs great for its age. I see a ton of these on the road

Not bad
By Jason94519 on 12/26/09 16:48 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had the truck for a little over a year, put almost 12,000 miles on it and not a hitch. Bought it with 142,000 and was a bit weary, but got a great cost and I know the Ranger reputation to be good.

Great for 12 years
By randy on 09/17/09 04:39 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new, it was inexpensive and all the more truck that I needed. It was a bit of a challenge in four wheel drive( tough turning) and had very little off road hill power,in my back yard. The engined revved all the time, when stop at stop signs etc and would not idle down, I believe this cause this truck to really use the gas. I had to replaced five idler pulleys because of the screeching from the engine compartment.I changed the oil every 3000- 5000 miles. The truck had 79,000 miles 9-16-09 and without warning the engine went. It was a good vehicle but low mileage and it's now JUNK.

still going
By artifishal bait on 05/12/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

it is the best truck i owned and would recommend it to beginner drivers. i own the 5 speed 3.0L 4 cylinder with 176000 miles and it is flippin awesome to drive and drives like a cadilac

Junk
By chuck on 03/14/08 10:01 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Nice looking truck inside and out. It now has 118,000 miles on it and most of the front end components have been replaced more than once. The 3.0L v-6 with the automatic is greatly underpowered. It gets bad gas mileage less than 15 mpg. It also has a poor ride. It does not like to go up hills. It has had endless problems with the ABS brakes. The frame is starting rust out

Love my Ranger
By Mark on 07/18/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My little 4 cylinder Ranger has moved me from NC to NY and back to NC. Hauled everything from couches (2 at a time) to camping gear to just me with no problems. This pickup is so easy to work with and on that it is a joy to own.

Heads Up
By John on 05/24/06 13:39 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've had a lot of fun with this truck. But heads up on a few of the things listed below. I have owned it for 5 years and now have 120 thousand miles on it. I guess I can't be too hard on it.

"97 XLT Ext Cab 4x4, 4.0V6, 5 Speed Auto
By Bill on 05/14/06 06:22 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had this truck for nearly 9 years and have driven it 78,000 miles. Some drive train problems which can be expensive to repair at a Ford dealership. Not the greatest truck but fairly reliable and functional. Very stiff suspension which was softened in 1998 model year. First year for 5 speed auto which has worked fine. Gas mileage is poor at 15-20 and it only gets 20 out on the road. It has been great for hauling dogs and hunting. Seats are not all that comfortable. Even though it has a 4.0 liter engine it only cranks 160 HP and 225 lb/ft torque. Dismal compared to the newer engines.

'97 Ford Ranger
By Sonny on 03/21/05 02:28 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Splash 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

150,000 miles plus! Engine going great, body stays in superb shape. Fun to drive and still looks great. Folks confuse it with a newer truck all the time. Great light duty truck.

I'm going to miss ol' Blue
By Philip Nolan on 03/14/05 15:25 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

The Ranger is one the best vehicles I have ever owned. We are keeping it for our 13 year old to take over when he's 16. He can't wait! Other than usual maintenance and changing tires, nothing major has gone wrong. My father-in-law borrows it all the time for anything he has to haul. The 4 liter engine has great acceleration in city traffic. I would recommend a Ranger to anyone in the market for a mid-sized truck.