Used 1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Reluctant to buy, Happy I did.
By Brian

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I almost didn't buy this truck, as it had a lot of miles on it. After a lengthy test drive, the truck felt solid, shifted nice, and drove very well, so I did buy. I've had it for some time now (a few months - actually it's my winter beater/rainy day driver), and it's just passed over 250,000 miles. The 2.3 liter engine uses no oil between oil changes, and makes no funny noises. It's a little short on power, but it's more than made up for that with it's relentless reliability. I see these trucks everywhere, and they are, figuratively speaking, a dime a dozen. I looked at Toyota, but they resale they hold is insane, which I'm told is due to the longevity of their engines. I know I haven't owned it for an extended amount of time (years), but I would say, money spent, the four cylinder Ranger is as good, or better than the, incredibly overpriced Toyota's out there.

97 Ranger 4cyl 5 speed still runs great 143k
By dalebass3

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck 2 years ago.
I knew it needed a slave cylinder just didn't realize it was inside the tranny.
So I had a mechanic buddy do it and replace the clutch and rear main seal while he was at it.
Has run great since.
Only problem is the A/C.
It wasn't working when I got it.
Found a big hole in the condenser and then it worked for a couple days but then sprung a new leak in another line with the new found pressure.
This seems to be a pretty common problem.
Engine runs great for its age.
I see a ton of these on the road

Not bad
By Jason94519

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

Had the truck for a little over a year, put almost 12,000 miles on it and not a hitch. Bought it with 142,000 and was a bit weary, but got a great cost and I know the Ranger reputation to be good.

Reliability - hasn't hiccuped yet.

Power. That is the one thing that I can't stand about this truck. I have the 5 speed manual, and there it is the most sluggish thing I've ever driven. But it gets me where I'm going, even if I have to downshift on a slight grade.

Great for 12 years
By randy

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck new, it was inexpensive and all the more truck that I needed. It was a bit of a challenge in four wheel drive( tough turning) and had very little off road hill power,in my back yard. The engined revved all the time, when stop at stop signs etc and would not idle down, I believe this cause this truck to really use the gas. I had to replaced five idler pulleys because of the screeching from the engine compartment.I changed the oil every 3000- 5000 miles. The truck had 79,000 miles 9-16-09 and without warning the engine went. It was a good vehicle but low mileage and it's now JUNK.

still going
By artifishal bait

1997 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

it is the best truck i owned and would recommend it to beginner drivers. i own the 5 speed 3.0L 4 cylinder with 176000 miles and it is flippin awesome to drive and drives like a cadilac

everything