1997 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
97 Ranger 4cyl 5 speed still runs great 143k
By dalebass3 on 04/03/13 06:56 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck 2 years ago. I knew it needed a slave cylinder just didn't realize it was inside the tranny. So I had a mechanic buddy do it and replace the clutch and rear main seal while he was at it. Has run great since. Only problem is the A/C. It wasn't working when I got it. Found a big hole in the condenser and then it worked for a couple days but then sprung a new leak in another line with the new found pressure. This seems to be a pretty common problem. Engine runs great for its age. I see a ton of these on the road

still going
By artifishal bait on 05/12/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

it is the best truck i owned and would recommend it to beginner drivers. i own the 5 speed 3.0L 4 cylinder with 176000 miles and it is flippin awesome to drive and drives like a cadilac

Love my Ranger
By Mark on 07/18/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My little 4 cylinder Ranger has moved me from NC to NY and back to NC. Hauled everything from couches (2 at a time) to camping gear to just me with no problems. This pickup is so easy to work with and on that it is a joy to own.

Great little truck
By Dave C on 01/24/05 15:33 PM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have 170,000 miles on my Ranger and only had to replace the clutch and water pump. It is a 4 cylinder and I used it to deliver pizza of several years. Great on gas and reliable. I love it!

4.0 V6 engine idle
By Fudd on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck has been very good overall. One problem I have had since new is engine idles at 1500 rpm or higher for about 5 minutes until temp. guage comes up to normal operating temp. Took to dealer 2-3 times while in warranty and they refused to correct the problem! Have taken it to independent repair facility and they have not been able to fix it either. All of them say it is sealed up,and no adjustments can be made. Maybe true, but correct component could be replaced to fix the problem. The problem is amplified by the fact I live on a mountain and coming down it at half throttle can be exciting--especially in winter. Hard on brakes too.

ranger
By KFRASER on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love this truck.

great reliable truck
By bob2chi on 11/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

No problems major or minor. Would buy another.

Great truck!!!
By ukdal1 on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It is a great truck. The only thing I have had wring with it was the thermostat went bad. Other than that, NO problems!!!!

Dependable and Rugged
By FIlbert on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Have owned my truck for 6 years now; have had only a few minor electrical problems (display on digital clock is a little funny, interior lights delay a couple of seconds before going off upon door closing). A/C continues to work well. At 68,000 miles, still have the original brake pads and shoes. Sound system is also very impressive for a truck, as is the interior design. The truck still rides like a car - no wierd rattling noises or squeeks are present.

Buy a Chevy
By edt on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Truck ran great for the first three years, then just about after the warranty ran out the check engine light came on. In the shop multiple times, damn thing just runs rough. Mileage sucks, too. Only about 15 mpg...and that's highway fellas!