1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
would/will buy another
By dbatw on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

Original owner. Daily commute to work vehicle. Have hauled everything from topsoil and bedfull of mulch to furniture and big screen TV. Very dependable. Fun to drive. The 4cyl gets good gas mileage and is no slouch when paired with 5spd manual. Good feel to the tranny/clutch combo. Powerful a/c and heater. It is amazing how popular you are with friends when you are the one with the truck.

Ranger stands on Reliability
By Mdtguy on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've now owned my Ranger for 4 years and through Minnesota Winters of -10 to -15 below zero at nights it always starts and runs very well. It has always been a very reliable truck. It has a nicely designed dash when speaking of controls for air,heat and they work well too.The real only negative is I have had off and on issues with my check engine light turning on and I have it checked and they can't make sense of it. I have had 3 different shops look into this issue and get nowhere.

Happy w/ my Ford experience.
By Happy Ford Owner on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

My first American-made truck purchase. Reliable truck. No major problems. Mechanically good. No rust. Good value for price paid. Has met all expectations.

96 review
By FF87GT on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I bought this truck as a lease return from a dealer at 37k miles in 99 it now has 65k miles 3 years later... its has had 2 problems since then the thermostat went out a year after i bought it and just recently the clutch slave cylinder...which came to $500 to have fixed...other than that it has given me no complaints on/off road decent power with the 4.0/5speed, 20ish MPG,reliable!, build quality is awsome! and it will totally cream my freinds 98 tacoma (which is also a V6 and rated at 10 more horsepower)

Splash BAby
By RangerSplash on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

My Ford Ranger is the best investment i have ever made.It runs like a dream it has never let me down.it is my first car and i wouldnt drive anything else but a ford

Best Vehicle I've ever owned
By ROBERT5588 on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Excellent, excellent, excellent. Very reliable, decent power, good gas mileage, easy to repair, etc.etc.etc!!!

I hate Check Engine lights
By Ford Sucks on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger Splash 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

Other than the pesky check engine light coming on for the same reason for over 6 months, it's been a great truck, except when the light comes on for a vapor return canister over and over again, especially when you are trying to sell the vehicle. I will never buy a Ford again. I think I'll stick to the Toyota's for now.

This is a dream
By Spdrfall on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger STX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

This truck is sleek, snappy, and well built. The 4.0 is a true mix between power and economy, averaging about 20 to the gallon, and still more power than anybody buying a compact truck would need. Definatly buy Fords.

great truck
By Anvil on 10/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I buoght this truck with 12,000 miles on it. It now has over 260,000 miles and is still running strong. The only problems I've encountered is a transmission problem caused by an oil change place leaving the fill plug loose. Very expensive repair, but trouble free since then. This truck is so reliable I find myself taking it for granted.

well built
By craig kavity on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

i think is is well built truk that was kept in fine shape and rides like new