Used 1996 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Pyro's review
By Pyroqueen13

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well its a tough little truck, i've gone everywhere in my little ranger, and i gotta say i love it and i wouldn't have anything else, its a good starter truck. I wish it would last me forever, but sadly all good things must come to an end, i hope thats far off for my little ranger.

Favorite Features

I love that its small, but still a truck

In Alabama you need the 4.0L
By LilBit

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It's a very reliable truck. I bought it used in 10/97. I love it! The only thing besides normal wear items like a battery, tires and oil changes, is that I had to replace the oil pan seal. The one thing I don't like is the lack of power(3.0L)and performance going up the hills on the interstates and roads here in Alabama

Favorite Features

A/C

Suggested Improvements

More power.

Great little truck
By Mdixon

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This was my first new vehicle. I got it off the lot with 12 miles on it. No real complaints. this truck really is built ford tough. i hit a deer about 2 years ago. Airbag deployed and the fiberglass pieces and lights were all messed up. all messed up. got a new airbag and lights etc and got back on the road. no engine trouble. radiator was well protected. she's getting old and bouncy on bumps now tho, but she's got 170000 miles on it. check engine light has been on since i hit 50,000 miles. needs a $150 replacement sensor or something, but still runs well.

Favorite Features

The stepsides on the bed give it a nice style. reliable. got some pep if tuned up. heats up quick in winter due to the small cab.

Suggested Improvements

check engine light has been on since i hit 50,000 miles. told it was a sensor and this is common. friends with rangers have the same thing happen. Factory supplied jack is too small to put new tire BACK on. it can take em off, but...

Me Ranger
By J30rdesign

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have had no problems with my truck. I was told to just keep the oil changed and I would never have a problem. Well they were right. I have driven this truck hard, beat it up and it still wants more! Great Truck

Favorite Features

Manual Trans

Suggested Improvements

V8

Reliable Truck
By Arty304

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a good basic reliable compact truck. I own the 4 cylinder 2.3L model with a five speed. For the higher elevations of Colorado its a little underpowered, but around town and the plains its fine. A good quality truck.

Favorite Features

Five speed transmission!