1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab Consumer Reviews 3

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

1996 Ranger Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
EXCELLENT CONDITION
By RONN

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XL 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

WELL, THIS TRUCK HAS REALLY BEEN RESPONSIBLE FOR ME, HAS CLASS AND POTENTIAL. i HAVE TO SAY 1 THING IT NEEDS ALIL MORE POWER WHEN I TRAVEL UP HILL ITS A LIL BIT GUTLESS THATS MY ONLY PROBLEM, OTHER THEN THAT ITS BEEN A WONDERFUL TRUCK

Favorite Features

EXTENDED CAB, COLOR, SIDE STEPS SMOOTH RIDING, GOOD GAS MILEAGE, EYE LOOKER

Suggested Improvements

POWER POWER POWER THATS ALL I GOTTA SAY

1996 ford ranger xlt
By john mcvey

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased vehicle from original owner with approximately 33000 miles on it. Majority of my driving was local with some trips of 100 miles each way. Ride and handling are very comfortable. Dependability is very good. Unfortunately with the small v-6 the gas mileage is horrible. The best it can get on the highway at cruise is 16 MPG, around town it drops to about 13- 14 MPG

Favorite Features

ABS brakes, lumbar support seats (both)

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage

Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'
By Harry Tasker

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD Stepside SB

I have had my '96 ford ranger 4x4 for over 2 years now. I bought it with 42,000 miles and have put 23,000 miles on it. I haven't had any engine troubles what so ever. The quality of the interior leaves a little to be desired. I have found a few tears in the upholstery. I would suggest getting the 4.0-liter V6. The power is with any extra cost. As far as use and abuse I have hauled hundreds of lbs in the bed (about 16 sheets of drywall) and didn’t have any trouble. I have also had the truck off the ground while driving off road. The gas mileage….. stinks. I get 300 miles off of an 18 gallon tank.

Favorite Features

The shift on the fly 4x4.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior.

This will make you a Ford Man
By KLL

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck has been great to me. There has been very minor stuff gone wrong (ceter console button broke) but has been cheap to replace. I am 6'2'' and there is room to spare. Very reliable. My truck has over 140k and is running great. Only thing I wish is it had a bit more power (mine is a four cylinder) and that first gear is a bit longer)

Favorite Features

Room Reliability look

Suggested Improvements

longer first gear more power

I LOVE my truck!
By Metis Floyd

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven my little truck hard. It just keeps on ticking. I really don't mean to run it hard but it just runs so great, that it is hard not to. I compare it to a '86 Toyota 3/4 ton that I had, they both just keep performing no matter how hard they are driven. Way to go Ford!

Favorite Features

Everything! It is one of the better looking vehicles out there. Very, very comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holder is my only complaint.

I don't want it anymore!!!
By readytosell

1996 Ford Ranger Extended Cab XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've had numerous problems with this vehicle. I had to replace the tranny at 38k miles and I know 3 others who have had to replace their transmissions on their 99 or 2000 Rangers at under 40k. Horrible! There is also a terrible knock in the engine that Ford claims is "normal." I can't afford to upgrade right now, but I think I'm going to sell it and buy something better for teh same cost, like a 97 4runner.

Favorite Features

Considering this is a fairly affordable truck, I think the interior is pretty quality. Things are designed well and not too cheaply made.

Suggested Improvements

Put a better tranny in these things!! I'm just waiting for it to die again.