Used 1996 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

1996 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Fix or repair often
By scorpio53

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I've had my 96 ranger since new and I've replaced rotors,bearings and calipers twice and I baby this thing,I've also replace all brakelines mastercylinder powersteering pump and lines.The truck has a mind of it's own and the lights inside and outside come on and go off at will as well as the alarm bells ring the motor switch on the interior fan stopped working as well and the radio won't shut off,I'll never own another one!!!

Favorite Features

If I'm able to get a trade in of 500 bucks it will be my favorite thing!!!

Suggested Improvements

Factory warranties should run for three years or 30,000 miles

4.0L ranger review
By Fat Jackson

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

When I bought my ranger the transmission was going out at 138000 miles. It was the 4.0L model, and shortly after I had the transmission rebuilt, the water pump went out making the engine over heat. The 4.0L engines apparently have aluminum heads which are notorious for not being able to withstand high temperatures, so both the heads cracked after overheating twice. Buy a subaru, I had an 89 Subaru that overheated all the time and the engine just kept on ticking

Favorite Features

The interior was nice, and the exterior looked good too. Never got stuck.

Suggested Improvements

Stronger transmission More durable heads higher mileage rangers dont seem to be as reliable as other cars

Still trucking
By stone

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought used in 01 w/ 70K. At 204k now. avg 22mpg! std 2.3L dual plug version. Still runs great, but engine is fially tapping on hills now.

Favorite Features

Not much special, it is a simple truck. Auto windows, door locks

Suggested Improvements

Too late to improve anything really. Maybe a 3rd door for rear cabin access like newer trucks.

Amazing Little Truck
By drdz070

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 1996 Ranger a little over a year ago with 113000 miles on it and i have since brought that total up to 143000 miles. The truck has required very little work, other that the basics like oil changes. In fact, the only thing i've had done to it, that was of any consequence, was the replacement of two belts and a tensioner. I would recomend this little truck to anyone and i am saddened that it has come time for a new car. I hope that the next owner enjoys it as much as I have.

Favorite Features

Flip-top sunroof, exterior design (eliminator package with custom ground effects and spoiler which was all factory) and automatic transmission

Like a good friend
By Dentpipe

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I've owed this vehicle new from dealership; driven it hard and regular. I've never experienced a problem - Just semi-regular maintenance. I'd buy it again. The only thing I'd change is adding a console.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the vehicle's reliability - like a best friend, it's always been there and ready when I needed it.