1996 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
My 5th Ranger
By fugitive on 03/23/05 18:26 PM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

Have owned Rangers since 1983. The only real problem I have had with the '96 was the automatic hubs went out, I had them replaced with manual hubs for $260. As of today I have 98,000 miles and the body and finish are still excellent.

no test drive required
By fastz28s on 09/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

Purchased used with 31k miles. Have had zero problems, aside from the carrier bearing on the two-piece driveshaft scaring me when it gave. An excellent vehicle, it is easy to see why there are so many of them on the road. And I'm a GM guy (2 Z28s, 2 Firebirds and a Trailblazer in the stable now).

I Lost It
By 96rangerlover on 08/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

My mom got it brand new in 96. Then my dad put a 3" lift on it. Then when I turnd 16 my mom gave it to me. I was using just to go to work and school. Then 4 months later after i got it, I was making a left turn and some people in a car T-boned me. So truck is no more. Ever since then I'v been looking for another 96.(My favrite year).

1996 Ford Ranger
By anthony727 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Excellent vehicle. Low replacement of parts during maintence except common stuff like brakes oil filter, air filter, ect.

Pyro's review
By Pyroqueen13 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

Well its a tough little truck, i've gone everywhere in my little ranger, and i gotta say i love it and i wouldn't have anything else, its a good starter truck. I wish it would last me forever, but sadly all good things must come to an end, i hope thats far off for my little ranger.

In Alabama you need the 4.0L
By LilBit on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

It's a very reliable truck. I bought it used in 10/97. I love it! The only thing besides normal wear items like a battery, tires and oil changes, is that I had to replace the oil pan seal. The one thing I don't like is the lack of power(3.0L)and performance going up the hills on the interstates and roads here in Alabama

Great little truck
By Mdixon on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab Stepside SB

This was my first new vehicle. I got it off the lot with 12 miles on it. No real complaints. this truck really is built ford tough. i hit a deer about 2 years ago. Airbag deployed and the fiberglass pieces and lights were all messed up. all messed up. got a new airbag and lights etc and got back on the road. no engine trouble. radiator was well protected. she's getting old and bouncy on bumps now tho, but she's got 170000 miles on it. check engine light has been on since i hit 50,000 miles. needs a $150 replacement sensor or something, but still runs well.

Me Ranger
By J30rdesign on 03/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have had no problems with my truck. I was told to just keep the oil changed and I would never have a problem. Well they were right. I have driven this truck hard, beat it up and it still wants more! Great Truck

Reliable Truck
By Arty304 on 03/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XLT 2dr Regular Cab SB

This is a good basic reliable compact truck. I own the 4 cylinder 2.3L model with a five speed. For the higher elevations of Colorado its a little underpowered, but around town and the plains its fine. A good quality truck.

Little 4banger needs assistance
By Prez Max on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Extended Cab SB

I love my truck. I bought it as a powered wheelbarrow for hauling stuff to the dump and from Home Depot. So I bought one w/ very few creature comforts, but the thing is very comfortable to drive and great for long trips. Very comfortable seats for stock ones.